Idaho OTC NonRes Tag Sale

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, my random # was almost 12,000....at about the 3 hr mark I saw they sold out the tag I wanted....

I called too. Idaho just called me here on the west coast at 6;45PM.....about 8 hrs after the elk tags were sold out.

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I understand the frustration. However point systems mean you can rarely hunt an area. With the random system you may not be able to hunt your favorite areas but you always have a chance. I choose to learn and hunt a less desirable area of Idaho most years. I also bear hunt and wolf hunt in a desirable unit. Your scouting may be tough there but you can watch for old sign. I appreciate the fact that you have a fair shake here. I complain that I can't get my DAV tag. However I love that I get a shot to hunt. If they go to points we can all forget hunting every year. And we would be tripping on people every 8ft if that wasn't the casee. I have seen 1 hunter in 3 years of Idaho hunting. I love the state for that reason. I wish everyone luck for the upcoming season.

The hard part is there is no way to plan to hunt with a buddy or two. Everyone is in it solo. We went from 4 getting a tag last year in our preferred area to 1 this year. Oh well….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I live in Australia and hunted in Idaho in 2019 pre Covid , I as most people have had a hard time over the last 2 years , 2022 I wanted to go back if it was possible to travel and gamble the costs involved in a non resident Elk tag . I tried to buy my tag today ( 2nd Dec ) , I went online only to find they are sold out 12000+ tags that's crazy . We hunt here for free basically and when ever we want , its hard to get your head around these situations over there . I'll go another state now , but Ill have to put in alot of ground work to make that decision .

Shadowcaster

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a complaint with the tag process minus not being able to really plan a “party or partner hunting trip.” Me and my buddy both logged on 30 min early and were assigned 9xx and 46xx. It would be cool if you could purchase a tag for a hunting partner while you were in as long as it’s the same tag.

Ended up that we got our tags we wanted but it really makes planning difficult when you don’t know if that tag is gonna still be there 3000 picks later. At least it’s super early in the year so we can move on to spending points elsewhere if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No kidding. Three of us, 12k, 15k and 18k. We all got what we wanted but we were opting for a less sought after area.

7Bartman

WKR
Yeah, I was close to 16k. Took almost 4 hours. Obviously didn't get a tag. It sucks being on the losing end of random, but I'll take it over a draw or preference point (sunk cost fallacy) any day.
One thing ID could do to improve IMO is allow for groups to pull tags. It's hard when some of your group gets tags and your left trying to piece together a hunt wondering if you want to hunt by yourself in grizzly country.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
Another version of how messed up this is for families... I was at 3100 my teenage son was 15,800. When I got logged on I had to go ahead and buy a tag and just hope there would be one for him. I mean what other choice did I have other than just bail out? When he got logged on they were gone. Now I'm sitting on a tag and can't hunt with him, which was the main prioity. Only choice now would be to return it and get 75% back. So I'm looking at eating almost $400 with the cost of the license.

I guess this is just a good money making scam for IDFG.

I logged my son in at 10:30 CST and myself at 10:31 CST, when we got in line I was in the 11K range, and he was 14K, waited 3.25 hours, of course our tags were gone by that time, oh well, that's random for you, my only thought to this is, why put everyone in the same waiting room? Have a sale on the 1st for Elk tags, and another sale on the 2nd for deer tags. Heck, who knows, that may not make a difference! We went 3 for 8!

Rob5589

WKR
This is just a repeat of last year's thread on the same issue. So question to everyone; have you contacted IDFG and let them know your frustrations? Complaining on RS isn't going to compel any improvements to the system. Hundreds or thousands of non res hunters expressing their frustrations may.

LFC911

WKR
A buddy of mine and I got in line yesterday and he was 6824 and I was 7387. We didn't get our top 5 choices but did end up with a pair of Bear River A Elk tags, so at least we're hunting! Looking forward to studying and seeing new country.

Another version of how messed up this is for families... I was at 3100 my teenage son was 15,800. When I got logged on I had to go ahead and buy a tag and just hope there would be one for him. I mean what other choice did I have other than just bail out? When he got logged on they were gone. Now I'm sitting on a tag and can't hunt with him, which was the main prioity. Only choice now would be to return it and get 75% back. So I'm looking at eating almost $400 with the cost of the license.

I guess this is just a good money making scam for IDFG.
It's not a scam, you bought and received a tag.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
A buddy of mine and I got in line yesterday and he was 6824 and I was 7387. We didn't get our top 5 choices but did end up with a pair of Bear River A Elk tags, so at least we're hunting! Looking forward to studying and seeing new country.
Had mule deer tag in that area of his year. Saw quite a good many elk! Good luck!!

I like the system, it would just be nice to have a group. 3 of us went in looking for Bear River A tags, as they were less desirable last year. 2800, 8400, and I was 11k. Those two got tags, last one sold out with 10 people in front of me. Oh well. Bought another unit tag and will enjoy the trip. If anyone has a Bear river A tag they don't really want, shoot me a message, maybe I can talk F&G into transferring since I have a tag. Happy to pay and make it worth your while if it can happen.

KHNC

WKR
Has the hunting appeared be any less crowded with the new tag system?

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Has the hunting appeared be any less crowded with the new tag system?
I personally have only seen 1 other hunter in the last 2 years. That is fall elk/deer and spring bear both years. I would imagine the units down by Boise are loaded with people. I personally think this is the best system you could have. Completely random. Doesn't bleed you dry of money. Beautiful state with decent animal numbers. I understand people disliking it for the party hunting aspect. If someone doesn't get a tag they just go along to help. You can scout for the next time and be there in the mountains with your friends. If shooting something matters to you that much hunt at home or move. Easy.

338maker

WKR
Just be lucky you can still buy (or attempt to buy) an OTC tag ... keep all the complaining up and Idaho will do what all the other western states are doing or going too.. all NR draw only no OTC at all for NR hunters!
in fact i dont think it will matter ,, I've heard tell they are already thinking about!!

Just be lucky you can still buy (or attempt to buy) an OTC tag ... keep all the complaining up and Idaho will do what all the other western states are doing or going too.. all NR draw only no OTC at all for NR hunters!
in fact i dont think it will matter ,, I've heard tell they are already thinking about!!
I know for a fact that they're working on it right now, 99% chance that it's rolled out along with the new season structures/regulations in 2023. They would have liked to have it already in place but they cant agree on the most efficient way to maximize revenue and distribute it to farmers.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
It's not a scam, you bought and received a tag.

Yeah, you're right. I'll probably just keep it rather than give IDFG and extra $400. I can probaly find a couple days between MT and WY. A couple days should be all I need to kill a good bull. I just wanted to get my son a good one as well.