Idaho Panhandle Wolves

For those that wolf hunt in the panhandle, specifically Unit 1. Is it basically a requirement to have a snow machine to get into the best areas and be successful? Is anyone snow shoeing into spots or is that a fools errand? I really want to get out this winter and try my hand at thinning out the wolf population up here.

Thanks,

skierhs

WKR
You can snowshoe for sure but if your not in the relative area the pack is you’d have to do a ton of hiking. You may want to think of trying to do it earlier in the fall if you don’t have access to a snow machine or anything like that.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
An extremelyyyyyy difficult task without a snow machine........you can try up lightning creek or check the stucknrut crew up Bonner’s for specific questions on packs as they have pegged many times the trappers I know who are successful have extremely long days on either tracks or snowmobiles good luck👍

• Banned
OP
Dustin the wind
You can snowshoe for sure but if your not in the relative area the pack is you’d have to do a ton of hiking. You may want to think of trying to do it earlier in the fall if you don’t have access to a snow machine or anything like that.
I was definitely planning on fall as well. It would be nice to get into them during Jan and Feb when everyone is basically stuck at home dreaming of next season. I kinda figured it would be tons of arduous hiking going the snow shoe route. I'm guessing they are down low from what I hear in those months. A cattle ranch about 500yards down the road from us says he sees them from time to time when his cows are calfing. We are only at about 2400ft.

• Banned
OP
Dustin the wind
An extremelyyyyyy difficult task without a snow machine........you can try up lightning creek or check the stucknrut crew up Bonner’s for specific questions on packs as they have pegged many times the trappers I know who are successful have extremely long days on either tracks or snowmobiles good luck👍
Yup, I know of those guys. I'm in Bonner's as well. Probably won't be able to swing a snowmobile until next year. I sort of figured it was next to impossible just on foot as I'm thinking I'd want to cover a lot of ground trying to cut fresh tracks, and then track them down. Thanks for the good info, going to see if I can get a hold of one of those fellows.

nidaho

FNG
I would try calling. Tracking the down will be next to impossible they cover lots of ground in a night.

I would try calling. Tracking the down will be next to impossible they cover lots of ground in a night.
I agree with that.. wolves average traveling speed is around 7 mph so tracking don't rely seem worth it.. I've talked to some of the guys around Bonners that trap them and they say that wolves up here have a range of 40-50 miles or more..

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BAKPAKR

WKR
My brother has taken two panhandle wolves by sneaking in on howling packs in October and November. His first wolf was taken on a dedicated wolf hunt after wolves had been heard and/or seen in the area the day before. The second wolf was taken when he heard wolves while elk hunting.

OP
Dustin the wind
Thank you all. I think I'm going to try some calling before the big snows hit and see what I can get into. Just need to find some spots up where I can be heard well.

OP
Dustin the wind
My brother has taken two panhandle wolves by sneaking in on howling packs in October and November. His first wolf was taken on a dedicated wolf hunt after wolves had been heard and/or seen in the area the day before. The second wolf was taken when he heard wolves while elk hunting.
Awesome, Do you know about what elevation they were taken at?

BAKPAKR

WKR
The first was at around 4800’. Although I am not sure of the elevation of the other one, I think it was significantly lower.