Idaho Pioneer Zone Cow Elk

I am looking for advice on selecting 36a vs 50, late November vs December.

I'm interested specifically in elk numbers, locating elk in late season, and elk being inaccessible due to private land and snowy roads.

Thanks for any help.

I hunted near 50 last year in late December. I would recommend 51 over 36A. Many of the roads will be snowed in, so unless you have a snowmobile you aren't getting far from a main road. I would also say camping maybe very challenging as last year it was routinely in negative temps for the high, Arco and Challis have some small hotels, they usually are filled up with hunters that time of year.

Finding Elk that time of year will not be hard, they will be in large herds down low on open south facing slopes, usually within a few miles or less of ag ground. Don't waste your time planning for or expecting a back country hunt that time of year as they won't be there.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Recommend 50 for late season access. Cow numbers are good in both (Fish and Game added more cow tags in 17/18 due to large numbers in pioneer zone) but access is tricky with snow. It started snowing during my 36a September archery hunt and my buddy got blocked out of a lot of good area due to snow fall when he drew the early rifle tag. Plus, the cows headed straight for the private land on the East Fork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I
Thanks guys. Anyone recommend 36a? It seems like the east fork country would hold a lot of elk and there are ways to access the backside of private land with public land the road in multiple spots.

Why specifically is 50 better for late season access? Closer to town so more open roads or the elk are closer to highway 93?

I'm excited either way for a chance to hunt in the zone.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
To clarify my answer above a bit more. I think 36a is good unit, as it is one I hunt. Lots of elk and good access, until it snows. Public land in the East Fork is limited until you hit the National forest at the end of the road. Prior to than much of the valley is private and blocks access to great swaths critter country. Prior to the snow I was able to use many of the trail heads to get great access. However, when the snow fell the Elk moved out of the timber and right down to the private. The access became increasingly difficult as we had to navigate up, around, and then down. Nothing more frustrating than just watching your quarry a couple hundred yards away but had to hike for two days to get around to them and hope they moved up.

I have never hunted 50, but have several friends that do. They prefer because they can use the wide network of roads to cover a lot of country and the access in heavy snow isn't such a big penalty as in 36a. The biggest drawback is the competition from other hunters is high.

Hope that gives a little more clarity to my previous response.

Either way you will have an excellent time. It is beautiful country and makes for an amazing hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldTimmer

FNG
I hunted near 50 last year in late December. I would recommend 51 over 36A. Many of the roads will be snowed in, so unless you have a snowmobile you aren't getting far from a main road. I would also say camping maybe very challenging as last year it was routinely in negative temps for the high, Arco and Challis have some small hotels, they usually are filled up with hunters that time of year.

Finding Elk that time of year will not be hard, they will be in large herds down low on open south facing slopes, usually within a few miles or less of ag ground. Don't waste your time planning for or expecting a back country hunt that time of year as they won't be there.
Drew 1 of the the two non resident 36 B tags available for the November 2024 late season. Have some access concerns near and around Arco. Weather has always a hit to miss thing in the game we play. Way to old now to camp in snow, 0 temps etc. Have a place booked in Arco already. It sounds like heavy snows or not, cows are primarily on unavailable private. Is that a fair assumption?

Graves14

WKR
Many of those landowners spend significant time hazing the elk off their pastures. I wouldn't rule out reaching out to a few of them and seeing if you cant get permission to hunt on their land or hunting the public hills surrounding them.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Drew 1 of the the two non resident 36 B tags available for the November 2024 late season. Have some access concerns near and around Arco. Weather has always a hit to miss thing in the game we play. Way to old now to camp in snow, 0 temps etc. Have a place booked in Arco already. It sounds like heavy snows or not, cows are primarily on unavailable private. Is that a fair assumption?
36B isn't anywhere near Arco, just so we're clear. Unless 90 miles is close for you.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
36B Elk tag is "Pioneer Zone", zones 36b, 49, and 50. Thanks
No it isn't. 36B is part of Salmon Zone. 36A is Pioneer Zone, along with 49 and 50. I live in the zone, I have a pretty solid handle on which is which. Thanks.

OldTimmer

FNG
Thanks for your opinion however, Actually, An Elk 36B tag is a late season, November, any weapon cow tag in Pioneer Zone per Idaho Department of fish and game. I happened to draw 1 of the 2 Non Resident tags available for the 2024 season.

OldTimmer

FNG
No it isn't. 36B is part of Salmon Zone. 36A is Pioneer Zone, along with 49 and 50. I live in the zone, I have a pretty solid handle on which is which. Thanks.

My son an Idaho resident of zone 1 is applying too. Am curious if farmers in the area are known allow hunters access in the late season? Seems some have to drive elk out of their fields at times. Thanks

IdahoElk

WKR
Thanks for your opinion however, Actually, An Elk 36B tag is a late season, November, any weapon cow tag in Pioneer Zone per Idaho Department of fish and game. I happened to draw 1 of the 2 Non Resident tags available for the 2024 season.
Ah, thanks for the info, I didn't know that.

First of all, you’re wrong. 36a is pioneer zone and 36b is salmon. (See the regulations below) Not sure why you’re correcting Idaho natives that know the whole state in and out when those are the guys you’ll need advice from. Second of all, the draw is not even open yet. You bought a general season tag in the non resident sale. You did not “draw a tag”.
IMG_6878.png

eric1115

WKR
Are you talking about the Pioneer B tag which includes Unit 36A? Unit 36B is, as @sneaky correctly stated, a completely different unit in a different elk zone (I am another resident of these elk zones)