Idaho Possibly Capping DAV Tag Numbers

I utilize the Idaho DAV tags every year for my dear hunt but I'm concerned that the program is getting too popular. It seems the wildlife commission is thinking the same thing.

My thought is to cap the tags at 1500 for deer and elk or raise the disability rate to at least 50%.

TheTone

WKR
I was surprised to see that they don’t count towards the existing non res caps, as well as the increase in the number of them issued.

Bluto

WKR
I think a lot of people don’t know that they don’t count towards that quota. I believe they should. I understand not letting something get too far out of control/beyond the intent. Raising the % some I’m okay with as well, I can see that. My issue is that the way it’s worded it’s another stab to lower the hunting pressure. I’d be willing to bet that the disabled vet nonres crowd is spending far less days hunting than residents with multiple tags. Maybe not issue all of the unclaimed nonres tags as additional, or at least cut the number? Just trying to be creative, not butt hurt. I send IDFG a thank you note every year for being the only state to offer anything, and am very grateful. I have probably 10-12 or so elk hunts left I’m guessing, and I do like hunting Idaho. This makes it reasonable to try and hunt, even if not every year.

Has anyone heard if Idaho plans to place a cap on the number of Non-Resident Disabled Veterans tags ?

amassi

WKR
Has anyone heard if Idaho plans to place a cap on the number of Non-Resident Disabled Veterans tags ?
Looks like they had open public comment until june 26. I'd imagine a ruling will come whenever idaho releases next year's big game regs

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure what they will end up deciding. However the only way for a permanently wounded vet like me to hunt elk is with that tag. I can't afford to hunt elk out west any other way. I have no words for how thankful I am that they offer the opportunity to come out and enjoy the states beauty. Hopefully they keep it going in some way.

amassi

WKR
I'm not sure what they will end up deciding. However the only way for a permanently wounded vet like me to hunt elk is with that tag. I can't afford to hunt elk out west any other way. I have no words for how thankful I am that they offer the opportunity to come out and enjoy the states beauty. Hopefully they keep it going in some way.
From what I read the program will continue but just count against non resident quotas where they currently do not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Broomd

WKR
The wounded fellas and gals are worthy of it. That's for sure.

But, the resource isn't unlimited. It has to be counted against something.
Have to wonder if once again Idaho is the lone state to step up when others have completely f*cked their resources. I hope not. What a disaster the West is in so many places.

OP
Touchdown88

I agree with you 100%. Hunting states as a non-resident is getting harder and harder each year. Idaho doesn't have to offer this program but I'm grateful that they do.

Deadfall

WKR
I'm not knocking anyone. However, there are alot of system players out there. Not everyone in military is a Saint. Seems like its getting worse and worse every year. People taking advantage. This is a great program, that life every other program is going to be abused. I'm glad they are taking steps to ensure the program is sustainable.

87TT

WKR
No. Unless there are leftover NR, A few controlled tags and some depredation tags.

Bluto

WKR
Deadfall - as a vet, I agree. It needs to be watched because someone out there will take advantage of anything.

But, it’s done.

It now has a cap of 300 DAV elk tags total. The email went out today for additional comment, but it’s already in place starting 1 December, 2020.

I always thank the F&G folks for the program, and am grateful. I stay out of applying for highly limited tags like the Sawtooths, and just hunt an OTC unit and try to stay out if the way while looking for elk. But I don’t understand how rolling back the DAV tag is the solution to hunting pressure? Are we folks outpressuring the large army of dirt bikes and atv’s, for example?

I get the need to regulate, I was just kinda bummed to see that this is the proposed solution. I sent the same comments to the listed email address, but I don’t see this changing. Why not just count it against the NR quota/cap? Bummer.

The following states it needs to be approved by the 2021 legislature (which is a given); so it won't take affect until 2022 right?

Proposed rules being considered that would not take effect until approved by the 2021 legislature
Docket No. 13-0104-2002

• Move application date for Landowner Appreciation Tags from June 15 through July 15 to May 15 through June 15 to ensure enough processing time before early LAP hunts open.
  • Limit annually the number of reduced-fee nonresident disabled veteran elk tags to 300 and nonresident disabled veteran deer tags to 500 (regular and white-tailed deer).

Deadfall

WKR
Deadfall - as a vet, I agree. It needs to be watched because someone out there will take advantage of anything.

But, it’s done.

It now has a cap of 300 DAV elk tags total. The email went out today for additional comment, but it’s already in place starting 1 December, 2020.

I always thank the F&G folks for the program, and am grateful. I stay out of applying for highly limited tags like the Sawtooths, and just hunt an OTC unit and try to stay out if the way while looking for elk. But I don’t understand how rolling back the DAV tag is the solution to hunting pressure? Are we folks outpressuring the large army of dirt bikes and atv’s, for example?

I get the need to regulate, I was just kinda bummed to see that this is the proposed solution. I sent the same comments to the listed email address, but I don’t see this changing. Why not just count it against the NR quota/cap? Bummer.
It is a bummer for sure. Getting harder and harder. Seems like it's getting that way across the board, not just hunting. Personally i don't think its a solution. Seems like the straight up/working guy is a dying breed.
I believe that anymore the government basically just sucks at all levels. Wish they would quit trying to be everything to everyone. That train gas to much momentum too stop at this point.
Anyway. I completely sympathize.

OP
Touchdown88
Here are my comments back to the state:

I saw the public comments are open for the disabled veteran tags in docket Docket No. 13-0104-2002.

I utilize this benefit every year and I thank the great government of the state of Idaho for the opportunity that they are giving disabled vets. The state doesn't have to offer this opportunity but by doing so, the state shows it's support to vets.

That being said, cutting the program by 75% seems a bit rash. I know the popularity of the program has been increasing every year and will become unmanageable in the near future if the program is not changed.

Increasing the disability rating to at least 60% would dramatically lower the number of individuals who are eligible for the benefit. This doesn't seem like a huge bump in percentage rate but getting a disability rating above 50% is exponentially more difficult due to way that the VA rates disabilities.

Doubling the number of tags (600 elk and 1000 deer) is another option the state has. This may seem like a huge bump but these numbers would still be around 50% of the historic norm.

The state could also increase the cost of the tags to mirror the increase in the jr. mentor tag costs. This increase would self eliminate a large majority of vets purchasing these tags.

Lastly, I was wondering if the state has looked at the harvest surveys and seen what is the percentage of successful DAV tag holders compared to regular resident/non-resident tag holders?

Please contact me if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Tyler Hansen