Idaho potential nonresident fee increase

sneaky

"DADDY"
Theres more NR even though IDFW hasn't raised the NR quota in years?
Now that just seems mathematically impossible.
You forget it's hunting and FISHING. Oregon and Washington guys have no problems coming here in droves for steelhead especially. That's after they've already hammered them on their way up the rivers before they get here. NR plates are far more common here on the rivers than resident plates.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Theres more NR even though IDFW hasn't raised the NR quota in years?
Now that just seems mathematically impossible.
And, no, the NR deer and elk tag quotas haven't gone up, but for many years there would be thousands of NR tags not purchased that residents would buy as second tags. Nowadays, there are fewer unpurchased NR tags, so there are more NR hunters actually here.

sneaky

"DADDY"
At $800 for a 4 week archery season you are not a bargain compared to your neighbor state to the east.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You mean the same one that wants to go to $800 for the elk tag and $72 for the archery stamp? That one?

sneaky

"DADDY"
We already have a cap on elk and deer tags.

I read they are going to cap the NR elk and deer tags, thus implying, the quotas will be reduced. Reduced caps will result in the projected 5-9 million dollar deficit. To make up for the deficit fees are being increased. That's my understanding.

It is the commission's intent to limit NR participation in general big game hunts (IDFG Press Release 9/3/19).
They aren't planning on reducing NR quotas, just capping each zone at 10% of 5 year historical numbers. That will keep certain zones from being overran with NR percentage wise. NR are just going to have to buy tags early for certain zones, and be ready to pivot and learn new zones if their primary tag sells out.

sneaky

"DADDY"
To offset potential future revenue losses from selling fewer nonresident licenses and tags due to managing nonresident participation in certain areas, the department has proposed legislation to the Idaho Governor’s Office that would increase nonresident fees for the first time since 2009.
If you're going to underline something, you need to underline the entire sentence. "Due to managing nonresident participation in certain areas". Says nada about overall quotas statewide

sneaky

"DADDY"
Not Wyoming... Montana! 11 weeks of hunting deer and elk. But is getting harder to draw.

Yeah, but that isn't an OTC state, you're comparing apples to oranges, and the combo tag sets you back about $1100. For guys who get one to two weeks to hunt, realistically, it's not a bargain. If you live close enough to hunt it multiple times, sure. But most guys don't have that chance.

I fully support raising resident fees 100% and dividing tags up 50/50 among NR/Resident.

Well rite now were 52% of there money, we should get 52% of the tags,
And once it goes up to 75% of money we should get 75%.
Well until I move then I will want to ban NR hunting. 😵🤩🤪

Can someone tell me why Idaho wants to charge $80 more for non resident archery hunters than rifle hunters? Do you get extra benefits for the extra $80?

Yeah, but that isn't an OTC state, you're comparing apples to oranges, and the combo tag sets you back about $1100. For guys who get one to two weeks to hunt, realistically, it's not a bargain. If you live close enough to hunt it multiple times, sure. But most guys don't have that chance.

Wyoming isn’t OTC either which is what both of you fired back with.

With limits on zones it is not really OTC either. It will be draw soon enough to stop the silly race to buy the tag online first.

sneaky

"DADDY"

With limits on zones it is not really OTC either. It will be draw soon enough to stop the silly race to buy the tag online first.

You said east of Idaho. Montana is only east of certain parts of Idaho. East of me is Wyoming.

sneaky

"DADDY"

And, as long as it isn't a draw of any sort it's OTC. Doesn't matter if it's a capped zone or not you can still buy it without applying. It's really not that hard. Oh and since you asked why it costs $80 for archery over rifle, maybe they followed Wyoming's lead on that, or maybe it's because archery season is smack in the middle of the rut. Call them up and ask. It'll be the only answer you'll get from their perspective, anything on a forum is going to be mere speculation.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well rite now were 52% of there money, we should get 52% of the tags,
And once it goes up to 75% of money we should get 75%.
Well until I move then I will want to ban NR hunting.
When you get Oregon prices for residents and nonresidents the same then we'll talk. $588 for NR elk in Oregon, $49.50 for residents. $443.50 NR deer, $28.50 for residents.

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
From IF&G

On Feb. 4, the Idaho House voted in favor of House Bill 330 — legislation proposed by Idaho Fish and Game that would increase most most license, tag and permit fees for nonresidents.

House Bill 330 still needs approval from the Senate Resources and Environment Committee, passage in the full Senate, and the governor’s signature to become law.

What is House Bill 330?

The bill will implement a general 10 percent increase in the prices for nonresident items, with larger increases for big game tags and related items such as archery and muzzleloader permits. The bill adjusts reduced rate licenses for mentored juniors to a general 50 percent discount below the related adult item. The bill does not increase the cost of nonresident wolf and Disabled American Veteran tags. If passed, the new fees become effective with the start of the 2021 license sales on Dec. 1, 2020.

Why has Fish and Game proposed this fee increase?

In separate but parallel process in August, the Idaho Fish and Game Commission adopted a rule that would allow them the discretion to manage nonresident distribution/participation in general deer and elk hunts. The rule is currently pending approval of the legislature. If approved, it would go into effect at the end of the current legislative session.

This rule is an outcome of concerns about hunter crowding and congestion in some popular hunting areas. While the overall number of deer and elk tags available to nonresidents is not proposed to change, this rule would allow the Fish and Game Commission to limit the number of nonresident deer or elk tags available in a specific general hunt unit or elk zone.

Although the pending rule does not reduce the overall number of tags available to nonresidents, Fish and Game anticipates that it may cause some nonresident hunters to redistribute across the state, and others to choose not to hunt. The increased fees proposed in House Bill 330 are necessary to offset this anticipated reduction in nonresident participation, allowing the Idaho Fish and Game Commission to maintain a balanced budget that can support existing services.
hopefully they double it the same way technology has increased in order for people to harvest mule deer. (Long range, OnX maps, Information Age.)

And, as long as it isn't a draw of any sort it's OTC. Doesn't matter if it's a capped zone or not you can still buy it without applying. It's really not that hard. Oh and since you asked why it costs $80 for archery over rifle, maybe they followed Wyoming's lead on that, or maybe it's because archery season is smack in the middle of the rut. Call them up and ask. It'll be the only answer you'll get from their perspective, anything on a forum is going to be mere speculation.

Well in Wyoming it allows rifle tags to hunt in September. That isn’t the case in Idaho. I find it a pure money grab.

You are correct about WY being excessive and east of ID.

87TT

WKR
Think how little chance that's going to happen. You don't live here and vote for the folks who have to vote on it. It is what is and you can do or not.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well in Wyoming it allows rifle tags to hunt in September. That isn’t the case in Idaho. I find it a pure money grab.

You are correct about WY being excessive and east of ID.

Not true, you can hunt the Frank with a rifle in September for deer and elk lol. In Wyoming it's a small number of units you can hunt elk in September with a rifle. And, yes, I'm burning my deer points this year in Wyoming and getting out of that mess.

I’m surprised it’s only 10%. They raised the resident fees more than that 2 years ago when they bumped up the price on the Sportsman’s Package (unless you consistently buy one every year, then it stays the old rate).

Either way, I really don’t think it’s that much to ask. Idaho still has huge amounts of opportunity all over the place comparatively speaking. Maybe too much (in this guy’s humble opinion)?

ThinkLeicaBuck

Lil-Rokslider
Not true, you can hunt the Frank with a rifle in September for deer and elk lol. In Wyoming it's a small number of units you can hunt elk in September with a rifle. And, yes, I'm burning my deer points this year in Wyoming and getting out of that mess.

Elk are silly!!! 😂😂😂