Idaho potential nonresident fee increase

OP
menhaden_man
Considering there's really only two hotels and a couple of bars that's a pretty small sample size in Challis. I live near Challis. I bet fishing brings as much revenue to Challis as hunting does and the Braun Bros music fest brings a lot of money to the area. Most guys I see hunting in the Pioneer zone and Salmon zone are camping out, a ton in RVs , and just going to town for fuel and reloading on snacks. They aren't staying in town at the motels, unless they've given up. I would bet the air services flying out of Challis make as much off of NR as the motels do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I get it... but either one of our anecdotal suggestions doesn't make a strong case. Article below on value of WY non-resident hunters. Not sure if a similar report has been done for ID but I'd still wager that NR hunting is easily worth more than $100M to Idahoans.

elkguide

WKR
Sorry to offend you Mr. Broomd.

I've been going to Idaho since the early 80's, even lived there for a while. I keep on going back because many friends there and I enjoy hunting elk and mule deer which I don't have here in Vermont. I wasn't trying to slam IF&G for raising rates alone but making a comment on hunting costs in general and Idaho Fish & Game is just getting on board. Why not? If they sell out all of the licenses keep it up.

I have never bought a second tag, don't think that that is good game management. I have never asked for any info for the best places to hunt on any web site or even from my friends that live there. If I find an area that I think would be worth a look, I find the landowner and talk with them to gain permission to trespass on their land. I have found most folks in Idaho to be very friendly and accommodating, if they are treated with respect. Last year I spent a day helping a rancher fix some destroyed fence and gates that an Idaho resident and his friends tore down after the rancher asked them to get off his property. One man asked for permission to hike in and hunt and was given permission but came back with 5 friends on ATV's and the rancher asked them to leave. Somehow the next morning his fence was messed with.

I too have seen increased hunting pressure in many of the spots that I have hunted over the years but since the non-resident tags have been at the same number for many years, I don't see how there can be an increase in non-resident hunters especially since many residents are buying up the non-resident tags as second tags for themselves. I don't stay in motels very often but I do buy all of my groceries, fuel and a gift or two for my wife in your wonderful state. Last year with my license, deer and elk tags, food, a few things that I forgot, an oil change, tire rotation and fuel, I spent a little bit over $2400 in your state. I have been planning to go back out and enjoy your wonderful state again this fall. Hopefully I won't hunt in any area near you to put to much pressure on your deer and elk.

Good luck hunting this fall.

Broomd

WKR
Sorry to offend you Mr. Broomd.

Honestly EG that's all I read of your last posting.

When I started my reply to you it was with the phrase "respectfully"...that doesn't indicate offense, it predicates respectful discussion.

I don't have time for anything else.

Trial153

WKR
Your not going to find a nicer or more stand up guy then Elkguide.

Totally agree that hunting has been overly monatized from top to bottom.

7Bartman

WKR
While I'm not happy about it, I get the NR fee increase. Supply and demand. That being said, the rationale doesn't make sense at all. I don't see how this controls NR in certain units. If they just want more cash for the Dept, I'm okay with that, just be honest about it. In exchange for the additional fees, is it too much to ask for maybe a few more wardens to be hired? I'm tired of seeing hunters driving ATVs on off-limit areas with a bow in their hands.
Another simple request would be for lighted nocks. I don't see the harm in this.

87TT

WKR
While I'm not happy about it, I get the NR fee increase. Supply and demand. That being said, the rationale doesn't make sense at all. I don't see how this controls NR in certain units. If they just want more cash for the Dept, I'm okay with that, just be honest about it. In exchange for the additional fees, is it too much to ask for maybe a few more wardens to be hired? I'm tired of seeing hunters driving ATVs on off-limit areas with a bow in their hands.
Another simple request would be for lighted nocks. I don't see the harm in this.
Read the proposal. As for ATV's, they aren't really the wardens issue, that would be USFS. And lighted nocks, expandable BH and lighted bowsights are just not allowed and nothing to do with res/ NR issue.

Rob5589

WKR

Also in the new regs, certain zones will be limited as to how many non res tags are sold. Not less than 10% of the previous 5 years, is how I believe it is written. Currently, there is no call to reduce overall non res tag numbers, just spread them out so as to reduce overcrowding. The increased fees are to come into line with other states and to offset the loss of non res hunters. This is an assumption made buy IDFG; some hunters won't be willing to pay the increase and/or choose to not hunt in a different zone, if "their" zone gets capped out.

As far as wardens, I have never seen one in 4 seasons.

As far as non res elk tags, there are still tags available in 8 or so zones. Conversely, zones like Diamond Creek sold out in 90 mins.

7Bartman

WKR
aren't really the wardens issue, that would be USFS. And lighted nocks, expandable BH and lighted bowsights are just not allowed and nothing to do with res/ NR issue.
I hear you, but given the sudden increase, it might not be a bad time to ask for something in exchange, especially as meaningless as lighted nocks.
The wardens can write tickets for having a weapon on a ATV on a closed road, no?

87TT

WKR
It is legal to carry a weapon on an ATV, even a rifle with an empty chamber. Car, truck, whatever. Road closures are a Federal regulation, not a State one. There are special motorized vehicle regs in some areas. And maybe that could be a problem.

87TT

WKR
From tag price increase to local cops writing tickets? What a rabbit hole.

From tag price increase to local cops writing tickets? What a rabbit hole.

7951ba626cc9e49e6f4e4ed2eb3daac9.png

There is a lot going on with this in Idaho, meaning there are a number of issues.
I have hunted Whitetails in Idaho for about 25 years as a non resident. Do I like the cost increases? No but I understand them and fortunately can afford to absorb them.
Managing non residents is a piece of herd management but not even close to being the most significant piece. Non residents have been scape goated by many resident hunters as being the cause of all that ails their quality hunting issues. Of course it can’t possibly be the case that appx 10 percent of the entire hunter population are causing the drop off that has taken place in the hunting quality.
Selfishly I am concerned about the consistent ability to hunt in Idaho in the same units I have always hunted in. It would be nice if preference was given based on the number of years a non resident has hunted there.
Change happens and we all have to adapt.