Idaho Proposals for '21 and '22

OP
Customweld
I'm happy to see the reduction of youth muley antlerless opportunities in my area. Not many other changes that will impact me.

Antler point restrictions have been proven time and again not to work. Lots of deer get left to rot once they realize it isn't legal.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yeah I can see that happening. I grew up hunting Washington so 3pt or better was the law of the land. I was trained well to verify it was legal before shooting, but not everyone does that.
I hope whatever changes are made, the deer recover and we get the seasons back.

johnsd16

WKR
Agree with the need to do something to limit mule deer harvest in the panhandle, there aren’t many up here. BUT I always worry about the slow slide of populations once seasons become very limited but the same animals remain abundant nearby (central ID) because you get the “I can’t hunt them anyway” attitude from locals. Sucks. I’d like to see some more done to try and help the game in the panhandle and MT R1 rather than just having hunters kill less.

OP
Customweld
Agree with the need to do something to limit mule deer harvest in the panhandle, there aren’t many up here. BUT I always worry about the slow slide of populations once seasons become very limited but the same animals remain abundant nearby (central ID) because you get the “I can’t hunt them anyway” attitude from locals. Sucks. I’d like to see some more done to try and help the game in the panhandle and MT R1 rather than just having hunters kill less.
We have pretty good volunteer opportunities for habitat restoration down here in south Idaho. Do you have anything up on your end?

TheTone

WKR
Best thing the panhandle could do if they really want to save mule deer would be to jump on with the rest of the state and require purchase of the whitetail tag to hunt whitetails late like the majority of the state does and reduce mule deer season length. That would basically make people choose whether they are a whitetail or mule deer hunter up there. As proposed I’ll keep buying a regular tag and hunting the panhandle for whitetail in November if I don’t get a mule deer first in other parts of the state

Washington has done lots of 3 point restrictions and demonstrated that it doesn’t work on deer or elk.

3.5 or so years of age doesn’t seem to be a meaningful cut off date to improve trophy potential or herd populations in a general tag high pressure hunting scenario. At least not in Washington. I’d not expect it to be the savior of mule deer anywhere.
Thinning out whitetails might help. Habitat improvement, predator controll, and migration corridor protections would likely be better.

manitou1

WKR
Antler point restrictions have been proven time and again not to work. Lots of deer get left to rot once they realize it isn't legal.

I would love to see a study indicating such. Missouri adopted APRs in most of the state years back and the number of good (3.5+) year old bucks observed and killed went up... by a good bit. We noticed a big difference in buck quality by the second- third season after adoption.

As much as I hate to see it happen the elimination of the youth antlerless seasons is a good idea right now. My only comment on that issue was that I encourage them to reinstate the opportunity once the herds have recovered.