Idaho public land, are the motors too close?

K_pem

WKR
Hey fellas, I recently e scouted up a few locations relatively close to each other (couple miles) where i want to put some time in scouting before September. I have a couple of other locations that I hunted this last year i can always return to and try my luck but i wanted somewhere a little more desolate. Anyhow i went out scouting yesterday and used my quad to get off the beaten path about 4-5 miles from the nearest dirt road up a ridge, where i came to my wilderness area which is supposed to be open to walk in traffic only, however upon getting there i discovered a heavily used 4x4 trail despite the signage and barriers....

I was a little discouraged at first but this country is beautiful and loaded with grassy slopes and timber patches with minimal clear cutting and water in the area, the spot in particular i found has a steep slope down about 600 vert feet in maybe a 1/4 mile then levels off, in the bottom, water. Right away i thought i hit the honey hole, no one is going to make the trek down there right? But i got to thinking about the motorized traffic that is obviously keeping the illegal trail busted down. So the questions are:

1. Will the elk deal with the occasional motor coming through in order to utilize this seemingly amazing area?

2. If not, will they at least stay nearby or maybe deeper down the drainage and visit this place again?

3. Would you take the chance and say its worth it to dedicate my not so readily available time to this area?

I mean, I really want this spot to work out, and there was plenty of elk sign down in the bottom of that drainage and i cant imagine a reason they wouldnt be there... except motor traffic. Are my worries/hopes/skepticism too high?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
It could be good or a bust. If motorized traffic is common and somewhat limited it could work out well if come hunting season it is a speedway it could be a bust. Would recommend keeping it as an option but have other options in play should things not work out come season. Elk are wise and this time of year they do things and in areas where few are out. Come season the sound of machines and smell of people can send them into their favorite haunts of september through November.

kamptown

FNG
Too many times I have seen this exact same thing. Too many times I hear the perpetrators crying the loudest about trails being closed down. STAY ON THE DESIGNATED TRAILS. Only then will we have a legitimate voice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
I agree with Ross, but I would also ask that you report this illegal activity so people can be held accountable.

I called F&G as well as BLM (its a wilderness area of theirs) i asked about traffic and they said there should be none and that their officers patrol its frequently, the trails would prove otherwise. However they could be old i guess, its all shale up that high and minimal dirt in the soil i just find it unlikely.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
It could be good or a bust. If motorized traffic is common and somewhat limited it could work out well if come hunting season it is a speedway it could be a bust. Would recommend keeping it as an option but have other options in play should things not work out come season. Elk are wise and this time of year they do things and in areas where few are out. Come season the sound of machines and smell of people can send them into their favorite haunts of September through November.

Yeah that's why i'm kinda leary to put all my eggs in that basket. I think at the bare minimum i'm gonna throw up a camera over that water/wallow area. There's definitely elk using it, its just a matter of when and if they will when it matters.

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Happens a ton in North Idaho, key is just having lots of options when they get pushed.

I'm on agreement with DAOUTFITTERS 208. Some motor vehicle traffic is inevitable in almost any unit. All across the west some of the units with the highest elk densities are laced with roads. I used to avoid these places like a disease, but now the backcountry is getting to be a pretty crowded place too. At least if there's lots of roads, people will be more likely to camp there rather than right in the middle of the basin that your elk herd lived in all summer or right on top of the only water source for 5 miles. If you've found elk, hunt em.

Randle

WKR
I was hunting an area that had roads right where a bull was squealing. As I was moving in on that bull an atv rode up the road above him. The guy got off and cow called several times along the road. The bull did not make a sound. From 100 yards away I would mew and he answered me every time. I got within 40 yards thru the brush before he winded me. Makes a guy wonder how many elk you drive during sept. I saw hunt it and bale if you find no elk in season.

OP
K

K_pem

WKR
I was hunting an area that had roads right where a bull was squealing. As I was moving in on that bull an atv rode up the road above him. The guy got off and cow called several times along the road. The bull did not make a sound. From 100 yards away I would mew and he answered me every time. I got within 40 yards thru the brush before he winded me. Makes a guy wonder how many elk you drive during sept. I saw hunt it and bale if you find no elk in season.

I think ive seen you tell that story before! Either we crossed paths or you arent the only one lol.

Im going to put a trail cam on this wallow i found and hopefully see whats frequenting it. Theres a small stream runoff going down this basin and a little flat spot so i have high hopes for sept.

BigShane54

Lil-Rokslider
Randle is 100% right. That is North Idaho. I have a canyon that has a road that goes all the way around, but outside of me, I dont think people drop down in there. When I am down in there i will have bulls going and you can hear people above on atv's driving around and stop to bugle or cow call and the bulls will never respond. But me being down in there will almost always get a response. Ideally yes, you do want to get away from roads, but the key in N. Idaho with the million roads we have, is to just get off the roads and down in the holes and good things can happen. So keep that spot in your pocket, but also have other options. Good Luck