Idaho Resident Controlled Applications

Hey guys, if any Idaho residents want to chat about controlled applications and various units they are looking at that might fit the bill for their goals and desired hunt type, I'm open to chatting via PM. One interesting item as well is reasonable trophy goals for various units. I cringe when a guy is happy with shooting a 300" bull and he applies for unit 40 for 40 years and never draws. I would be more guilty of applying for a more mid-range unit and happily passing on bulls that are really good for the area holding out for a needle in a haystack monster. Reasonable expectations are difficult to establish, especially on a draw tag, but important I think.

I limit to Idaho residents because nonresidents mostly don't have much of a prayer due to the the caps in place. I love deer hunting but not as interested in talking deer apps because at least for rifle all the real interesting units are steep odds.

I've researched Idaho controlled options until I was blue in the face, talked with a number of guys here and elsewhere that have drawn controlled hunts anywhere that I was interested in, and talked to the biologists about various options. I've learned a lot. If I can just actually draw sometime, the bulls I've been admiring in recent years in draw units will be in trouble.

Thanks.

jmcd22

WKR
Yeah and you know what you're doing! If you could just draw your Idaho tags, you'd be sitting real pretty as well.

But no, the guys who post on facebook for drainage suggestions after they draw and they haven't ever been to the unit are the ones that draw!

Got my apps in! Plans have changed since we last spoke so I will PM you. It's going to be a throw back year for me haha.

Did you put in for the Super Tags at all? Those are the ugly odds...but I figure it's a donation for Access Yes! which I have used a few times over the years and if you draw...well you've got one hell of a tag.

OP
I
Hey man, yeah let me know. I haven't applied for SuperTag drawing because the odds are looong but I should sometime just for the heck of it.

I should venture out of the panhandle/Palouse zones sometime and actually go on a controlled hunt. The only one I ever apply for is that either sex tag, and usually get it.

OP
I
I should venture out of the panhandle/Palouse zones sometime and actually go on a controlled hunt. The only one I ever apply for is that either sex tag, and usually get it.

If you ever want to see more than 50 yards in front of you, pm me. Haha You do plenty well for yourself in the jungle there’s no need. If you haven’t spent some time in the Frank/Sawtooths, they are best explored with a fly rod and a pretty neat experience.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Quick question, as a non-resident, are any of the units with the better draw odds (for elk) worth applying for or should I just shoot for the stars with a longshot unit and buy an OTC if/when I don't draw? Planning a hunt for 2021 and trying to come up with a game plan.

Thanks!

OP
I
Hey guys, if any Idaho residents want to chat about controlled applications and various units...

So this is a thread that was intended to promote discussion among Idaho residents. I personally am not interested in going into nonresident draw options and pros and cons and would rather the thread stays on topic. I will say that if you are a nonresident and have questions, I have personally spoken with most of the guys who've commented in the thread and they're good guys and they may be opening to a PM with questions.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
So this is a thread that was intended to promote discussion among Idaho residents. I personally am not interested in going into nonresident draw options and pros and cons and would rather the thread stays on topic. I will say that if you are a nonresident and have questions, I have personally spoken with most of the guys who've commented in the thread and they're good guys and they may be opening to a PM with questions.

Understood and respected. Someone reached out to me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swanee

FNG
M
Hey guys, if any Idaho residents want to chat about controlled applications and various units they are looking at that might fit the bill for their goals and desired hunt type, I'm open to chatting via PM. One interesting item as well is reasonable trophy goals for various units. I cringe when a guy is happy with shooting a 300" bull and he applies for unit 40 for 40 years and never draws. I would be more guilty of applying for a more mid-range unit and happily passing on bulls that are really good for the area holding out for a needle in a haystack monster. Reasonable expectations are difficult to establish, especially on a draw tag, but important I think.

I limit to Idaho residents because nonresidents mostly don't have much of a prayer due to the the caps in place. I love deer hunting but not as interested in talking deer apps because at least for rifle all the real interesting units are steep odds.

I've researched Idaho controlled options until I was blue in the face, talked with a number of guys here and elsewhere that have drawn controlled hunts anywhere that I was interested in, and talked to the biologists about various options. I've learned a lot. If I can just actually draw sometime, the bulls I've been admiring in recent years in draw units will be in trouble.

Thanks.
i have a question for you but can’t figure out how to start a conversation