Idaho residents, weather questions

Rob5589

WKR
We have been hunting Diamond Creek the past 4 years in the archery season but this year I will going back for rifle with my daughter (13). It is her first "real" deer hunt so to say she is excited is an understatement. Since I haven't been in Oct I am looking for information on weather so I can start getting gear together. Any info that anyone can pass along is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

October, the weather really starts to change. Especially at elevation. This year 3rd week in Oct we had about 6-12 inches of snow and it was 10-20 over night warming to 30s during the day. It's a week to week thing in October, can be warmer or colder depending on the year. You need to be prepared for either.

October, the weather really starts to change. Especially at elevation. This year 3rd week in Oct we had about 6-12 inches of snow and it was 10-20 over night warming to 30s during the day. It's a week to week thing in October, can be warmer or colder depending on the year. You need to be prepared for either.
Yea could be 60 degrees and sunny also

CorbLand

WKR
It’s southeast Idaho. Plan for all four seasons in the same day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
Great stuff guys, thanks. Kinda figured as much, we had all three 3 years ago. Was hoping not to have deep snow, mild stuff isn't an issue.

Thanks again

Mike 338

WKR
Don't know where Diamond Creek is but with October usually comes precipitation. As mentioned earlier, plan on either side of 20 degree nights. Above about 5500 ft., snow will probably be sticking but won't be 9 feet yet. You'll want something dry to sleep in. Probably be putting on frozen boots every morning unless the accommodations are more modern than a tent. Pretty much what you'd expect.

Probably nights around 20 on the lower end and around 30 on the upper end, could vary either way. If I was taking my kids (when they're older) I probably wouldn't be trying to camp at high elevation where it would be colder. Keep the kids warm and they'll want to hunt. Quality gear helps with this too.

DocD5150

FNG
Yeup, its Idaho. Plan on all 4 seasons in one day. I hunted Diamond Creek my whole life growing up. With that said, Diamond Creek is one hell of a big area. I wont go anywhere near the spot there that I hunted anymore though. Its way too over ran. Plus, the resident elk heard of that area just isn't in the same spots anymore. Between the over population of people and wolves, their spring/summer and winter hold ups just aren't the same. Again, that is the area of Diamond Creek that I hunted. Its still a decent zone over all though, if you know where to catch them. I remember back in the day I'd be archery hunting in almost 3 feet of snow. Now archery season is hotter and dryer than a popcorn fart. Gotta adapt to the times.