Idaho rifle mule deer prep

Hey guys heading out of state to idaho for a rifle mule deer hunt. This thread is solely for figuring out what weather conditions I should be preparing for. I’m planning on hunting October 10-17 and I’m planning to be back pack hunting. I’ll be in higher elevations in unit 37a around 6-10k Trying to decide how cold and if I should be prepared for snow? Any info would be great thanks.

Calbuck

WKR
You should be prepared for cold, yes. Things can change quickly there. Last year it was windy and snowed right before season. Rained a bit too. Be prepared and check the forecast before you head out.

ianpadron

WKR
In 2018 we woke up to 12" of snow at 6k feet in unit 43.

Plan for snow and extreme cold, even if the forecast doesn't show it.

OP
S
You should be prepared for cold, yes. Things can change quickly there. Last year it was windy and snowed right before season. Rained a bit too. Be prepared and check the forecast before you head out.
What are you using to check conditions and forecasts?

SPC

FNG
This was where I hunt in Idaho. I can't remember if it was in October or November. This was overnight accumulation. The day before the ground was bare. If I remember it correctly, it snowed two days later and then out of no where it warmed up and melted off. The weather is unpredictable at times. I've seen it rain all the way into December. You just don't know what you are going to run into. Always look at the forecast, it can get cold and dump snow from out of nowhere.
FB_IMG_1627785314141.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
What are you using to check conditions and forecasts?
NOAA point forecast. You can click on the map and it will give you the forecast where you'll be. Start with the closest town then click on where you'll be on the mountain and it'll give you the stats.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Calbuck

WKR
Take everything with you and leave what you don’t need in the truck. Be ready for warm conditions during the day and cooling down at night to all out winter weather and anything in between.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
In 2018 it was 20 degrees and snow on Oct 10. 2019 was pretty hot I believe. Last year pouring rain. For a seven day hunt you have to be prepared for anything.
It was zero degrees in the morning and had snowed all night in SW Idaho on the morning of Oct 10th 2019 where I was. Oct 10 2020 was sunny and hot.

In 2019 it was sunny and 65 when I arrived a couple days before the opener. It rained/snowed the next three days with temps down in the teens. Be prepared for anything.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Idaho in general fluctuates. October 5 2019 I rode my dirt bike in a few inches of snow. October 3 2020 I was riding my dirt bike in hot dusty fall weather..

37A and its surrounding can be very flippy floppy year around.. At least it seems to be every time I am in that area.

Attachments

• 20210801_153859.jpg
    20210801_153859.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 59
OP
S
Idaho in general fluctuates. October 5 2019 I rode my dirt bike in a few inches of snow. October 3 2020 I was riding my dirt bike in hot dusty fall weather..

37A and its surrounding can be very flippy floppy year around.. At least it seems to be every time I am in that area.
Would it be worth bringing a 4wd quad or bike for the hunt? I’m going to scout in a couple weeks just hiking but was wondering if during season it’ll be open for motorized stuff? And how far back I could ride in?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anywhere you access by bike or quad is an area someone else can as well

OP
S
Anywhere you access by bike or quad is an area someone else can as well

I hear ya there. Just wondering if everyone is gonna be on em zipping around or if there will be enough opportunities to get away from them if I don’t have one. Or to ride a quad as deep as you can then hike in from there. That’s the main thing I wanna figure out when I go scout it in 2 weeks. Find my access and what it’s like to the basins I want to hunt

sneaky

"DADDY"
Don't forget the guys packing in with llamas. They were all over that unit last year.