Idaho sawtooth

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Good morning everyone I was lucky enough to obtain one of the sawtooth a tags. I am debating on hunting unit 35 or 36. Go hunt says roughly 1/3 of tag holder hunt 36 so I’m thinking it may be a little packed, I have pin pointed spots in both units for options a-z hoping one of my early options pays off! I’ve also spoke to the biologist in 36 not yet in 35. Unfortunately I can’t early season scout due to living out of state and having a newborn at home but I will hunt hard. I would love any advice or knowledge about the areas as I hunted a different unit last year. I would greatly appreciate the response. Don’t expect to get much out of this post but thought it would be worth a try! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First, check your expectations. The unit is popular because of the scenery and it makes people think the hunting is good. Bull numbers are on the lower end of objective and the area is significantly limited in antler growth due to baolith soils. Many herd bulls don't get that decent. Success rates are skewed by outfitter hunting numbers and diehard locals who do anything to get the tag and stay in their old area and people hunting hard because thu think the tag is good. The last part of the equation comes from the bio who's looked at effort numbers and interviewed hunters. That all said, it's decent hunting and a great place. I've hunted it some as have my grandpa and uncle in years past and two different buddies that report back on what happened every year.

I'd personally worry less about where the hunters are at and more about where I think there's more elk. There's not that many tags and it's big country if you have some fitness you can escape roads and trails. You'll see some people but still be able to do your thing. I think there's a lot of options and I wouldn't rule out places in 33/34 that can be more frontcountry and hold elk.

Your number one goal should actually be to shoot an elk near a trail in the Sawtooth and horrify as many hippy hikers as possible. Kidding!

OP
Jacobo2012

Jacobo2012

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the response! I don’t have huge expectations I would be ecstatic with harvesting a cow or young bull! I have been focusing on that exact point of looking for areas that have what the elk need. Which I believe to be food cover and water. I have pins dropped on many of those points I will look at 33 and 34 also! I believe I am in good shape and plan on putting in lots of miles if needed. I plan on going hard for two weeks giving it all I got and enjoying the beautiful country! Harvesting an elk would top it off though and make my wife a little less pissed off if i come home as what she sees as empty handed! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tttoadman

WKR
As stated, it is a busy hiking area. It is weird how us hunters instinctively quiet down when walking in the forest. Non-hunters on the other hand you can hear for a mile across the canyon. I would be examining the country and looking for the isolated areas and tracts that are a 1/2 to 1 mile minimum from a trail. The elk will have trails that parallel these people trails for miles. Pick a half dozen of these promising spots and hit them when you get there in the fall. With elk, step one is be in the forest.

mwebs

WKR
You know saying NE corner of whatever wilderness tells everyone on the internet where your hunting and gives them a great idea of where to start on their e-scouting... It's not as big as you think, especially that one, trail through it, road on South border..... I was waiting for this sawtooth post after non res tags went on sale. Don't talk through areas, generalize.

slobow

FNG
We used to bowhunt this unit exclusively if we didn't draw out in other states. Alot has changed with tag numbers,draws, wolves, etc. It has become unbelievably popular and it is nothing what it used to be. I do think one has the ability to get away from others. If you have horses/mules you will be better off and significantly improve your chances of getting into areas that elk live. Good luck.

270BBD

FNG
Been around these units a little. Surprised tags went up with the numbers. Hikers are a pain. But I have found elk to be in places everyone just passes. Don’t always have to go deep

jetsled

FNG
"Lucky enough." I'm still baffled by all these folks who have absolutely NO IDEA what tag they're even purchasing. You've never stepped a foot into the unit? You obviously rushed to buy the tag, but why? Heard it's good? I wish you the best of luck, but I promise you, its extremely rough terrain, with low to moderate elk numbers, its capped because of low numbers, not trophy quality. As many have stated harvest stats are extremely skewed. A damn good bull goes 260ish. Bring a camera and go deep.

"Lucky enough." I'm still baffled by all these folks who have absolutely NO IDEA what tag they're even purchasing. You've never stepped a foot into the unit? You obviously rushed to buy the tag, but why? Heard it's good? I wish you the best of luck, but I promise you, its extremely rough terrain, with low to moderate elk numbers, its capped because of low numbers, not trophy quality. As many have stated harvest stats are extremely skewed. A damn good bull goes 260ish. Bring a camera and go deep.

It's a hoot. People want the tag just because it's hard to get. The bio is annoyed by how popular it is and success rates are higher than other areas because people think it's valuable almost like a controlled tag which precipitates the myth of a good area further. The zone isn't anything special though if you've hunted it and talked to guys who've hunted it.

mwebs

WKR
It's a hoot. People want the tag just because it's hard to get. The bio is annoyed by how popular it is and success rates are higher than other areas because people think it's valuable almost like a controlled tag which precipitates the myth of a good area further. The zone isn't anything special though if you've hunted it and talked to guys who've hunted it.

I would say limiting the number of non-res tags is valuable :), why did they double tag allocation when the zone is below objective?

Despite the sentiment here the numbers indicate it's a very good unit these days.

I'd look at a few things in addition to food/cover/water (I'm also a first time hunter there and am looking at the these things).
- Topography relative to your capability. 33/34 are lower and more rolling. 36 is higher elevation and more rugged. 35 looks to be pretty much ski hill territory but has some big valleys that might hold elk.
- Access via roads / trails. Some areas are seasonal road/motorcycle use while others are year round. Others are foot trail only.

With the size of the unit and pretty low tag numbers I'd guess you'll run into more hikers than elk hunters, but that's a guess. Good luck!

sad_story

FNG
@Jacobo2012, reach out to Bryant @ SunValley Outfitters. He is incredibly knowledgable in the area. He's a friendly guy and happy to talk to other hunters, just let him know up-front that you aren't looking to engage him, but that somen recommended him for a chat.

If you are looking for an outfitter, I highly recommend, had put me in front og bulls under 30 yards 4/4 trips. High bow success if that says anyrthing