IDAHO SELWAY ZONE

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
This year will be my first western hunting trip. I have been hunting whitetail in northern Wisconsin for over 20 years. I'm in excellent shape and regularly spend weeks in the wilderness. I'm as ready as possible for this trip to be extremely tough. From the E-scouting I have been able to do I have landed on taking off into unit 20 by Sabe and Center mountains. I am looking for this to be a learning trip. I am just hoping to fill one of these tags/see some animals. Does anyone have any information in regards to how busy that area may be or if that part of Magruder would be impassable in October. Planning 8 days starting October 10th. I will be solo. Thank you very much for any and all information.

Last edited:

zacattack

WKR
I’m no expert on Idaho, but aren’t those junior/mentor hunter tags for youth? I feel like maybe you need an adult tag. I could be wrong though. But my NR tags were quite a bit more than that.

OP
NorthernHunter

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’m no expert on Idaho, but aren’t those junior/mentor hunter tags for youth? I feel like maybe you need an adult tag. I could be wrong though. But my NR tags were quite a bit more than that.

I am a retired purple heart veteran. They have disabled veteran tags at a discount. Thankfully because it's the only way I could afford to do this. I really just want to find a black bear. Elk/Mule deer would be bonus. It is difficult for us to get bear tags even as residents in WI.

jmcd22

WKR
Thanks for the service to our country! I have never hunted there so I really have no useful information other than where I can point you to start which would be the IDFG website or Google Earth. Sounds like you've done a fair bit of research already though.

Not to get a war started...although it will likely go there but I am going to say it anyways...a lot of people frown upon posting areas and units openly to the forum. Some don't seem to mind so hopefully they can chime in through PMs to point you in the right direction. What I CAN tell you is that area does have wolves and may have grizz too. Be aware of both and maybe pick up a wolf tag.

Oh and I would really think about removing the pictures of your tags or at least editing them to remove your license number. I'm not sure you can really do much with it but in today's world, who knows what they can do with your license number.

Good luck and have fun!

OP
NorthernHunter

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the service to our country! I have never hunted there so I really have no useful information other than where I can point you to start which would be the IDFG website or Google Earth. Sounds like you've done a fair bit of research already though.

Not to get a war started...although it will likely go there but I am going to say it anyways...a lot of people frown upon posting areas and units openly to the forum. Some don't seem to mind so hopefully they can chime in through PMs to point you in the right direction. What I CAN tell you is that area does have wolves and may have grizz too. Be aware of both and maybe pick up a wolf tag.

Oh and I would really think about removing the pictures of your tags or at least editing them to remove your license number. I'm not sure you can really do much with it but in today's world, who knows what they can do with your license number.

Good luck and have fun!
I am new to the forum. I will remember that for future posts. Thank you. Adding a wolf tag sounds like a good plan. Thank you for the information.

I hunt the Selway quite a bit. I think with your dates you won't see too many people, but you also might not see too much game. You're right between the two ruts. Most people hunt the Selway on the B tag in late September or early November. Magruder (and Nez Perce Pass) is open until the end of the November season on the 17th each year, you'll be fine in October.
You might find a bear. I don't see them too often, but I have heard of others who see more than me, usually down low along the river or streams.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have hunted in there for the last two years, 26 days total. VERY low elk numbers and even lower deer numbers. You need to cover lots of ground and glass your ass off. The place looks like it should hold animals but it just doesn't, it's a mind ****. Get in shape.

CorbLand

WKR
I have hunted in there for the last two years, 26 days total. VERY low elk numbers and even lower deer numbers. You need to cover lots of ground and glass your ass off. The place looks like it should hold animals but it just doesn't, it's a mind ****. Get in shape.

I haven’t been in the Selway in 15 or so years. We use to go hunt bears there and it was always hit and miss on seeing them but we usually saw 20 or so elk and maybe 15 deer in the 5 to 7 days. Never saw what I would say is a ton of elk and deer but has it gotten worse than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I haven’t been in the Selway in 15 or so years. We use to go hunt bears there and it was always hit and miss on seeing them but we usually saw 20 or so elk and maybe 15 deer in the 5 to 7 days. Never saw what I would say is a ton of elk and deer but has it gotten worse than that?

26 Days of walking and glassing HUGE burn areas. I have seen a total of 24 elk. I didn't count the deer but it wasn't that high.

I used to hunt the Selway wilderness every year. We either went (Elk mainly) in September or November. Weather changes very quickly and the animal density isn't what it used to be.

CorbLand

WKR
26 Days of walking and glassing HUGE burn areas. I have seen a total of 24 elk. I didn't count the deer but it wasn't that high.

I would hope you don’t plan on going back for round three. That’s brutal.

280Ackley

WKR
Ryan is spot on. My buddy and I have packed in 12-15 mile on horses multiple times for spring bear and fall elk. It is some of the most beautiful country you will see and the fishing can be phenomenal but the hunting just isn’t what it used to be. I had trail camera’s up there for 3 years straight and only got pictures of one mature bull. I’ve never seen a good buck up there.

Krustyroo

FNG
I hunted back country fly in south of the Selway a couple years ago. Part of the reason we avoided Selway was because the numbers had been dropping. I spoke to the local Forest Service biologist and had good conversations about seasons and population. I would second what many of the others have stated about wolf tags. I also use the disabled veteran tag. Hard to pass that up from out of state. Any chance you read the book: Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm?

daymoney

FNG
I agree with the wolf tag comments and they're only $31, but wasn't there a time you could use your deer tag for a wolf or mtn lion?

BAKPAKR

WKR
I agree with the wolf tag comments and they're only $31, but wasn't there a time you could use your deer tag for a wolf or mtn lion?

You can still use a $301.75 NR deer tag or a $416.75 NR elk tag on bear, mountain lion, or wolf. I sure wouldn’t consider it a “waste” to do so, but since I always start out confident that I am going to get the deer or elk that I am mainly hunting, I usually buy a wolf tag or two. They are just too cheap not to.

If I am in a unit with reduced cost bear or lion tags, I will usually buy those, too, with the exception being if I am hunting someplace I would not be willing to pack a bear out. There are lots of those places on the Selway and Salmon.

OP
NorthernHunter

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted back country fly in south of the Selway a couple years ago. Part of the reason we avoided Selway was because the numbers had been dropping. I spoke to the local Forest Service biologist and had good conversations about seasons and population. I would second what many of the others have stated about wolf tags. I also use the disabled veteran tag. Hard to pass that up from out of state. Any chance you read the book: Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm?
I have read a lot of books about the area but have not seen that one. I'm fully aware that I won't see huge herds. This is more of an incredible camping trip while trying to find and get an animal. I could care less about the Elk but I would definitely like to get a bear. I've shot hundreds of deer here at home, but bear tags are near impossible to get. Thanks everyone for the information