Idaho Selway

Haneydew

FNG
It is a beautiful place no doubt. My trip in 2018 was more of a scouting trip than anything. I actually found fresh sign at the first place I hunted. Fresh tracks on the trail going in. Problem was, they were going in the opposite direction headed out. I still want to go back and hunt that area the first week of the season. Also found the quartered up remains of an elk shot the week before in my second area. So there are elk there, no doubt. And I feel like I was in a couple of decent areas, just a week late.

Tequatche

FNG
It is a beautiful place no doubt. My trip in 2018 was more of a scouting trip than anything. I actually found fresh sign at the first place I hunted. Fresh tracks on the trail going in. Problem was, they were going in the opposite direction headed out. I still want to go back and hunt that area the first week of the season. Also found the quartered up remains of an elk shot the week before in my second area. So there are elk there, no doubt. And I feel like I was in a couple of decent areas, just a week late.
Would you go back? Feel like it's hard for people to judge this area because it is so vast. One person's experience may be 50 miles away from another person's experience. Looks like outfitters harvest all the time in Selway.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Would you go back? Feel like it's hard for people to judge this area because it is so vast. One person's experience may be 50 miles away from another person's experience. Looks like outfitters harvest all the time in Selway.
Exactly. Outfitters. Without stock you will be extremely limited on what parts of the Selway you'll be able to hunt.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yep someone might be 50 miles away but that’s not that far in that kind of country and what the wolves have done in one place they’ve done for hundreds of miles.

I'm glad that I am stubborn and chose to hunt the Selway for my own experience and challenge instead of taking every forum post as gospel because I would have never stepped foot in that unit otherwise. I've been hunting it for the last three years and between my dad and I, we have shot 5 bulls and 6 bucks. It's daunting territory but if you are willing to put in the work and have some hellacious packouts, it can be extremely rewarding. I can definitely see how if a guy isn't mobile and doesn't have the ability to relocate drainages, it can be an impossible dream. But the hunt as a whole is not impossible.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I'm glad that I am stubborn and chose to hunt the Selway for my own experience and challenge instead of taking every forum post as gospel because I would have never stepped foot in that unit otherwise. I've been hunting it for the last three years and between my dad and I, we have shot 5 bulls and 6 bucks. It's daunting territory but if you are willing to put in the work and have some hellacious packouts, it can be extremely rewarding. I can definitely see how if a guy isn't mobile and doesn't have the ability to relocate drainages, it can be an impossible dream. But the hunt as a whole is not impossible.

Well..... Let's see some pics?

I have hunted in there a lot. It does have a very low density of Deer and Elk. Trophy numbers are VERY low if that is what you are looking for. And as you pointed out you best be in shape or have some stock.

Well..... Let's see some pics?

I have hunted in there a lot. It does have a very low density of Deer and Elk. Trophy numbers are VERY low if that is what you are looking for. And as you pointed out you best be in shape or have some stock.
I agree wholeheartedly that if a guy is strictly trophy hunting, he will have a real tough time, but if a guy wants to fill tags, it is very possible. We are always limited with the amount of time we have off to hunt it, so our focus is filling our tags and not trophy hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_8282.jpg
    IMG_8282.jpg
    606.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Dad's Buck.jpg
    Dad's Buck.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5242.JPG
    IMG_5242.JPG
    690.3 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5340.JPG
    IMG_5340.JPG
    658.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_6849.jpg
    IMG_6849.jpg
    656.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0925.JPG
    IMG_0925.JPG
    690.5 KB · Views: 101
  • xElk.jpg
    xElk.jpg
    593.3 KB · Views: 107
  • xIMG_5137.jpg
    xIMG_5137.jpg
    683 KB · Views: 99
  • xIMG_5180xx.jpg
    xIMG_5180xx.jpg
    752.4 KB · Views: 92
  • xIMG_0780.jpg
    xIMG_0780.jpg
    875.7 KB · Views: 100
I agree wholeheartedly that if a guy is strictly trophy hunting, he will have a real tough time, but if a guy wants to fill tags, it is very possible. We are always limited with the amount of time we have off to hunt it, so our focus is filling our tags and not trophy hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    720.1 KB · Views: 60

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Nice whitetails. I want to hunt them in their or Lolo again. They are hard to find in the mountains that’s for sure, you’ve done well.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
Selway first year in

Attachments

• 6961ABCE-697E-4792-B9FF-C9833CA23061.jpeg
    6961ABCE-697E-4792-B9FF-C9833CA23061.jpeg
    677.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 11327134-D374-4297-B1D3-9AD976574CBA.jpeg
    11327134-D374-4297-B1D3-9AD976574CBA.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 95

Tequatche

FNG
Good pics. Looking to fill freezers and make memories. We hunted the Sagres in CO last year, 4500ft higher and just as steep. I think we can make it happen for at least one of us.

ikeG

FNG
We've experienced the desolation (unit 17)on 4 trips now, last one in 2019. Burned wyoming points the past 2 years. We will most likely be back in the selway this fall with no points left in Wy. I've missed 1 wolf, seen couple others in there.

Just have to change your mindset going in. Wolf hunt with the possibility of a bull or buck.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk