Idaho Selway

We finished our adventure which was the Idaho Selway for elk and bear. The information I’m about to share is almost guaranteed to land you in a spot where you are certain to get a trophy.....wait for it....ok the honey hole is North, East, South, and West of the Selway. That is right go ANYWHERE else and you’ll have better chances. The goal of the hunt was to disconnect and make memories both of which were accomplished to the fullest extent. The hunting was well we never really hunted. It was 26 miles over 6 days all of which yielded very minimal sign of any animals. The closest we got to an animal was hearing wolves celebrating what I’m certain was the last elk in 17. We in no way regret our decision to give it a try but it is not for the faint of heart and unless adventure is the number one priority I would stay out. The country is absolutely beautiful however due to the rugged remote nature the wolf population has decimated the wildlife due to the inability to manage the packs. We as hunters need to continue to push for lawmakers to inact plans to manage the predators. The impact they have had on the Selway is not unique to many other areas. I’m all for having native species roaming around however I fear the wolves and/or grizzly will wind up removing many of the native species without proper control. The wrap up is the Selway is a great way to test out your fortitude, soak up amazing beauty, and make life long memories. If you are filling the freezer or looking for the next mount I can highly recommend you go anywhere but here. A thank you to the veterans who brow beat me for inquiring in the first place as it did not deter us but ensured we were ready for it. Lastly, to all the FNGs, check the ego and take some advice!

I saw 3 wolves and a lot more wolf track than usual this year. I was starting to wonder if the predators were part of the reason the elk have been so quiet??? I don’t know, just speculation.

I saw five wolves chasing a herd of elk across a hillside just above me in early October. One small bull, eight cows, zero calves. Unfortunately they were too far away to shoot.

Yeah it's funny.....I was watching a national geographic documentary on the animal life in the winter of Yellowstone. I don't think the producers realized it, but half the documentary was showing footage of wolves preying on elk and bison. Definitely didnt do much to portray the innocence of wolves. I kind of chuckled at the irony.

Also, I heard first hand from some individuals that hunted the Frank Church in Idaho...they saw more elk/deer carcasses from wolf kills than they did live animals. Hmmmm....

Yeah it's funny.....I was watching a national geographic documentary on the animal life in the winter of Yellowstone. I don't think the producers realized it, but half the documentary was showing footage of wolves preying on elk and bison. Definitely didnt do much to portray the innocence of wolves. I kind of chuckled at the irony.

Also, I heard first hand from some individuals that hunted the Frank Church in Idaho...they saw more elk/deer carcasses from wolf kills than they did live animals. Hmmmm....
We need to kill every wolf we see
Weither or not it's legal or not. Do it for the elk,deer and all the livestock also. Do it for our children and grandchildren that might want to hunt. Our forefathers were right to hunt wolves to the point of extinction. This needs to be done to keep their numbers down.

We need to kill every wolf we see
Weither or not it's legal or not. Do it for the elk,deer and all the livestock also. Do it for our children and grandchildren that might want to hunt. Our forefathers were right to hunt wolves to the point of extinction. This needs to be done to keep their numbers down.
Manage them. Like idaho montana, and wyoming yes, eradicate them. No that's not going to solve
Dropping game numbers

Haneydew

FNG
Sounds like our 2018 experience exactly. 33 miles in 4 days and saw 2 whitetail doe. But the Selway tag sells out almost over night now. I don't get it.

Huntnnw

WKR
Sounds like our 2018 experience exactly. 33 miles in 4 days and saw 2 whitetail doe. But the Selway tag sells out almost over night now. I don't get it.
its because some have places that still hold elk year after year. If you can find these little pockets hunting can be good

sneaky

"DADDY"
Part of it is the allure of hunting a wilderness area. That's part, and then the NR don't listen when they are told how bad the hunting can be if you don't have stock or go with an outfitter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

GregB

WKR
Part of it is the allure of hunting a wilderness area. That's part, and then the NR don't listen when they are told how bad the hunting can be if you don't have stock or go with an outfitter

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I'm extremely fit and willing to put in as many miles as it takes.

Huntnnw

WKR
fit means not alot..I've watched guys who were extremely fit give up on hunts. Lot more mental in tough areas. Hunt smarter not harder. There are areas everywhere out west overlooked by the "we gotta hike 10 miles in" crowd that are a mere few hundred yards off well used roads. Last year in a area close to Selway I threw a cam up 40 yards of a fs road and in 24 days I had 4,400 pics of elk and a bunch of those pics were daylight. Ive lost count how many elk Ive found by roads that nobody hunts

excaliber

WKR
I see allot of posts about people wanting to hunt the Selway. I even know a guy who's been there twice and didn't come close to pulling the trigger and wants to go back again.
That place must have some mystical allure or something special about it. There are much better places to hunt here in Idaho.

Beendare

WKR
Meanwhile...here in CO, there is a ballot measure this year to artificially reintroduce wolves, because all of the city-dwellers who never go outside think they're majestic.
Its to the point here in the US that the avg voter is an uninformed idiot And easily manipulated

Just look at how many supposed sportsmen voted for Mr Gun Control.