Idaho Senate Passes Bill to kill 90% of state wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Some people just don’t get it, wolves eat deer and elk 365 days a year, they go unchecked in the backcountry, they are super smart, they are in packs, their population explodes, they have litters of 5-10 pups....thankfully there are trappers and some of these changes that may help in a few years....

Last edited:
OP
J

Jpickop

FNG
You ARE wrong. More educated people than you set the number.
Yeah, the state government... But they're always right I'm sure... often the wrong thing to do is easier to do than the right thing.

I'm looking for some hard numbers that were crunched that show what expected herd sizes of elk and deer will be after killing 1,000 wolves vs what they're at now. And answer to if elk and deer populations could have just adjusted since wolves are newish predators here.

204guy

WKR
Yeah, the state government... But they're always right I'm sure... often the wrong thing to do is easier to do than the right thing.

I'm looking for some hard numbers that were crunched that show what expected herd sizes of elk and deer will be after killing 1,000 wolves vs what they're at now. And answer to if elk and deer populations could have just adjusted since wolves are newish predators here.
You seem overly emotional and angry and looking for an outlet to direct your anger. Have you tried looking in a mirror?

This legislation is literally in direct response to 20 years of lawsuits by radical environmentalists.

OP
J

Jpickop

FNG
Some people just don’t get it, wolves eat deer and elk, they go unchecked in the backcountry, they are super smart, they are in packs, their population explodes, they have litters of 5-10 pups....thankfully there are trappers and some of these changes that may help in a few years....

Wolves have 4-6 pups on average, but how many of those survive to adulthood?
And I don't think that limits the wolf population to 150. Plus a larger wolf population means more predator hunts available for people. Many come from out of state to Idaho for that.

OP
J

Jpickop

FNG
You seem overly emotional and angry and looking for an outlet to direct your anger. Have you tried looking in a mirror?

This legislation is literally in direct response to 20 years of lawsuits by radical environmentalists.
You're the one who is being insulting. I'm looking for discussion...

Some people just don’t get it, wolves eat deer and elk 365 days a year, they go unchecked in the backcountry, they are super smart, they are in packs, their population explodes, they have litters of 5-10 pups....thankfully there are trappers and some of these changes that may help in a few years....
Yes I agree that these wolf populations will grow and the deer/elk populations will shrink because of that. But is this a main concern to you/people in general because that will mean less tags/hunting opportunities of elk/deer? Or is there a concern that these wolves will get so out of control that they will wipe out the elk/deer? It seems to me that there would be a balance that would be eventually reached where if the wolves kill too many prey animals the wolves population would decrease (starve) and so the prey population would increase. I remember learning about this, but is this a wrong way to think?

Also I now understand that the 150 number was agreed upon 25 years ago and so they want the numbers back to that quota. Has nothing changed in 25 years? Was there another study done to support this 150 wolf number? Seems to me a lot can change in 25 years (and who knows the number of wolves might go down who knows). But seems silly to base the wolf number on research/studies done 25 years ago.

Again if you did not read my first post in this thread, I am just purely uneducated on the subject of wolves. So I am looking for insight/someone to educate me.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
please Tell me how you know of the average wolf litter size? Have you been lucky enough to see a trapped female and the trapper lays out the pups so you can actually observe the number and how many wolves they actually got to kill with one successful trap set? Or how about knowing of someone who finds a wolf den with pups? I can say with certainty you are low on your average by half.....

OP
J

Jpickop

FNG
Please stay the **** in California and out of Idaho, nothing but racists, clan meetings, covid, and potatoes here. Tell all your friends too.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yes I agree that these wolf populations will grow and the deer/elk populations will shrink because of that. But is this a main concern to you/people in general because that will mean less tags/hunting opportunities of elk/deer? Or is there a concern that these wolves will get so out of control that they will wipe out the elk/deer? It seems to me that there would be a balance that would be eventually reached where if the wolves kill too many prey animals the wolves population would decrease (starve) and so the prey population would increase. I remember learning about this, but is this a wrong way to think?

Also I now understand that the 150 number was agreed upon 25 years ago and so they want the numbers back to that quota. Has nothing changed in 25 years? Was there another study done to support this 150 wolf number? Seems to me a lot can change in 25 years (and who knows the number of wolves might go down who knows). But seems silly to base the wolf number on research/studies done 25 years ago.

Again if you did not read my first post in this thread, I am just purely uneducated on the subject of wolves. So I am looking for insight/someone to educate me.
Yeah, I just don't see how even 800 wolves could make much of a dent in the million+ undgulate population.

OP
J

Jpickop

FNG
please Tell me how you know of the average wolf litter size? Have you been lucky enough to see a trapped female and the trapper lays out the pups so you can actually observe the number and how many wolves they actually got to kill with one successful trap set? Or how about knowing of someone who finds a wolf den with pups? I can say with certainty you are low on your average by half.....
This says 5-6:

Azone

WKR
@Jpickop
To say wolves are not having a negative effect on game populations would be foolish. I’m sure someone will come along and tell me my uneducated opinion is ignorant or naive and I know nothing, global warming, climate change some bs of that nature are to blame and not wolves. After spending a lot of time in a wilderness area in Idaho and talking to locals about how it used to be and how the downfall coincided with wolf introduction it’s pretty obvious that they’re out of control. Troll on and have a great day! Welcome to the forum by the way!😂

OP
J

Jpickop

FNG
@Jpickop
To say wolves are not having a negative effect on game populations would be foolish. I’m sure someone will come along and tell me my uneducated opinion is ignorant or naive and I know nothing, global warming, climate change some bs of that nature are to blame and not wolves. After spending a lot of time in a wilderness area in Idaho and talking to locals about how it used to be and how the downfall coincided with wolf introduction it’s pretty obvious that they’re out of control. Troll on and have a great day! Welcome to the forum by the way!😂
Fair enough haha. Pinky promise I'm not trolling though, just saw the article and thought killing 90% seemed extreme.

I appreciate hearing where you're coming from though.

Geewhiz

WKR
Yeah, I just don't see how even 800 wolves could make much of a dent in the million+ undgulate population.

You clearly aren't from around here and don't have any idea what your talking about. Before flapping your jaws do a little research. And google images doesn't count as research.

slick

WKR
Where do you get your one million ungulates from brother? You seem to exaggerate the numbers of things wolves eat to support your (assumed) stance that they won’t/don’t have any affect in ungulate populations and therefore shouldn’t be managed accordingly. All other species get managed to their mgmt plan levels. We kill elk 6-9mos out of the year in western states because they pose conflict with people, yet are one of the largest drivers of license dollars. States make nothing in comparison in the sale of wolf tags, and then eat said elk, and also get a free pass because of all the emotional heart string BS the anti’s pull.

Also, not all of that 86,000sq mi is suitable wolf habitat. The state manages every other animal and wolves have been the exception for too long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here is the link to support the governor’s decision to get these numbers back to what was agreed on originally. Bury this office in support. I did.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Also, does anybody have a good catchy wolf Hunting Pic I can use? I wanna get this link over on our other social media accounts. We can pull in a few extra thousand supporters that way. If you do, just hit me up in a PM and we’ll go from there. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.