Idaho Sheep info for a newbie

IdahoElk

WKR
After focusing on Elk and Deer for 30yrs here in Idaho I realize the clock is running out and would like to start focusing on a Sheep hunt but I don't know where to begin?
I'm looking for help on how to begin my search to find a good unit for residents, any help pointing me in a direction so I can start researching is appreciated and if I can help you with Elk or Deer just let me know.
Please PM me if you don't want info posted.
Curt

Mtnboy

WKR
Tons of historical info here to keep you busy for awhile trying to figure out the trends ;)

All of the harvest statistics are here:

ndbuck09

WKR
After having sheep tags here in Idaho, I will tell you that they Biologists are extremely helpful no matter what unit you've drawn. I bet they'd help talk through the herds and overviews of the various units if you called them on their slower time of year outside of the lead up and during hunting seasons.

OP
IdahoElk

IdahoElk

WKR
After having sheep tags here in Idaho, I will tell you that they Biologists are extremely helpful no matter what unit you've drawn. I bet they'd help talk through the herds and overviews of the various units if you called them on their slower time of year outside of the lead up and during hunting seasons.
Great idea, thanks

Access is one of the biggest variables in my opinion. In some units you can pretty much drive to areas where sheep are found. In many units it will take a dozen miles of walking over rough trails or no trails, not to mention hours of driving mountain roads.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

TEWONG

FNG
Unfortunately I don't have enough posts to send a PM but I would be more than happy to share my (very recent) experience hunting Rocky Mtn Bighorn sheep in Idaho.

Feel free to send a PM...

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
Since your odds are long, you should probably look at the areas that have tags then start taking some trips to those areas and then see what area catches your eyes in terms of the terrain that you like the most. Then just start applying. The fact is most idaho hunts end with a 6-8 year old ram being taken and they can be taken in almost every unit so quality of animals in each unit could be less important than where you envision wanting to hunt when that day comes. Ever been to the Frank Church, Lemhis, Lost Rivers, white clouds? Which do you like more?

TheTone

WKR
I’ve applied in 3-4 different sheep areas. Some I wish I had draw , others I’m kinda glad I didn’t. I’m now down to looking at just a couple for the future and that’s mainly just due to access, terrain and sheep size. The one I’m most interested in because I love the area has traditionally only produced dink rams which makes me question if it’s due to lack of mature sheep or just people not caring/knowing what they’re shooting