Idaho sheep tag

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I was lucky enough to pull an early season sheep tag this year in Idaho in unit 26.

The season is 8/30-10/13. If you were to draw this tag do you think it would be better to fly in and hunt the first 2 weeks of season and focus on water or the last 2 weeks of season and hope there is a little bit of weather to hopefully get the rams moving around a bit? Or would there be a better time to go in?

This is my first ever sheep hunt and am hoping to gain as much knowledge as I can. Any tips and tactics you guys are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

I have a rough idea of where I would like to hunt but I also know this is big, rough country so I am hoping this post might help me narrow down some of my ideas.

Thanks in advance guys/gals!!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. I was lucky enough to pull an early season sheep tag this year in Idaho in unit 26.

The season is 8/30-10/13. If you were to draw this tag do you think it would be better to fly in and hunt the first 2 weeks of season and focus on water or the last 2 weeks of season and hope there is a little bit of weather to hopefully get the rams moving around a bit? Or would there be a better time to go in?

This is my first ever sheep hunt and am hoping to gain as much knowledge as I can. Any tips and tactics you guys are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

I have a rough idea of where I would like to hunt but I also know this is big, rough country so I am hoping this post might help me narrow down some of my ideas.

Thanks in advance guys/gals!!

Better wind up the stairmaster!

Randy

If you can afford it, I would look into a guided or semi guided hunt. That is spendy but would really help as they have a lot knowledge of the area There is a lot of info out there on hunting sheep in the Frank Church and it is no walk in the park. Get as much time off work as you can, it takes most guys a fair amount of time to locate the sheep out there. I have decided if I ever get drawn, I will try and secure a flight in and hunt high for a week and then spend another week floating the river hunting from the bottom up. I think floating the river would be a awesome way to experience that area and you can take more gear with you. Please keep us updated on your progress, I really enjoy reading about other hunters sheep hunts!

Kimbersig

WKR
plan on the whole season. last year the first 2 weeks you couldn't see due to smoke from all the wildfires. Mid Sept there was a pretty good snow storm that hit the frank church. October was good weather. I spent a total of 18 days in the Frank last year on the other side of the MF from where you will be hunting. Unless you have stock I think you are going to have to fly in to that unit to get close to the sheep country. Middle Fork Aviation out of Challis is top notch. I've been in 26 and heard sheep kicking rocks but never saw them. Rams in the Frank typically hang out between 5000-7000 feet. talk to IDFG and they can help you shrink that unit based on past harvest reports from previous hunters. you probably won't be hunting water. sheep know where tiny seeps and springs are at and unless you stumble on one your won't know where they are getting water. If you are new to sheep hunting you have an incredibly steep learning curve for hunting sheep in the Frank. I'd buy the book Jack O'Connor wrote "sheep and sheep hunting" out of print so it'll cost you $100-200 on amazon. Duncan Gilchrist wrote some good books too mostly about Montana. However, the Frank Church sheep are much different than most sheep. Join huntinfool or epic outdoors and you might can get a list of their members that have hunted that unit to help you.

Good luck.

Kimbersig

WKR
oh and if you aren't in incredibly good shape you might wish you were dead after a day or two in there. as said above...get the stairmaster fired up! train daily with your pack with 40-50 lbs in it. hike as many hills with the pack all summer even when its blazing hot to get used to misery. super low sheep densities so be ready for days and days of never seeing a ram. took me 14 days of glassing to find a mature ram and I'm a pretty damn good glasser and have been on several sheep hunts.

ndbuck09

WKR
You also want to get good at hiking half dehydrated because carrying enough water in the heat is impossible due to how strenuous the country is. But in all seriousness, getting the past harvest info is going to be your ticket to knowing where to start scouting. And I would get as many days in during the summer as you can because it can take a while to 1)get your eyes accustomed to finding the white rumps and back legs of sheep and 2)finding the rams rather than ewes. Last year when I drew my sheep tag in another unit, an awesome guy, Tim, who helped me out let me look through 15x56 Zeiss and the mountains opened up compared to my mid-level 10x42 Vortex. Up to that point I always felt like mid-level glass was good enough, but 15's with great glass allows you to really see into the rock, at great distances. Needless to say, I went out and ponied up to a pair myself, even though I couldn't really afford it at the time. They are honestly the reason I got my ram, no exaggeration.

ndbuck09

WKR
Also, I'd go in the first 2 weeks and if you don't get one in that time, cut deals, do whatever you have to to get back in.
If you put in the time in the summer, you'll hopefully know where you're looking once you're hunting.

OP
Baskhunter13
Thanks for all of the great info so far guys. I have already talked wth sawtooth aviation and am planning on flying in with them.

The plan was to go in on the last 14 days of season but I might try to see about going in early and then again late if I don’t get anything the first round.

I stay I fairly good shape year round but have really ramped up the hiking and cardio since finding out I drew a tag.

I have a pair of 15x56 swaros I am planning on taking in there as well as a spotting scope.

I imagine finding that first sheep is going to be tough but hopefully we can find one early to help give us an idea on what we are looking for.

Like I said earlier I much appreciate everything so far. Keep it coming!!!

Kimbersig

WKR
If you go in scouting and find ewes you’re in the wrong area is one thing to remember. Easy to get excited and hope for a big ram to be near a bunch of ewes but most likely they will be higher than the ewes and in another drainage.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a tough tag. Sheep seem to be very pocketed. Steep, remote, and often smokey is the nature of that country. Good luck!

Broomd

WKR
All of the above comments are true. The worst of it is the lack of water, and the likely smoke to try and glass through..
The 10,000' and 95* temps and rough terrain are secondary.
I'd consider a SPOT or sat phone if you expect to be 20 miles in.

Good luck, you guys will need it; enjoy the opportunity!

Baskhunter, I was lucky enough to draw that same unit this year. How did your hunt go last year? Any advice as I move towards my hunt

OFFHNTN

WKR
If you can..........go both! First 2 weeks and the last 2 weeks! Awesome tag.........good luck!!!