Idaho Spring Bear Camp

• Thread starter Deleted member 52995
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 52995

With so many questions about spring bear hunting, by so many neophytes ("newbs"), it might be a great idea to create a spring bear hunting camp for inexperienced hunters, who don't know where to hunt, which units to hunt, which methods to use to hunt spring bears (bait, spot/stalk, calling, and of course my advanced, superior, and highly successful interception/ambush method), as well as skinning, hide preparation, etc.. It's easy to sympathize with them, especially when they don't have the opportunity to hunt with an experienced family member, or friend who could help them gain the experience, and skills they need to succeed at tagging a black bear. There's also the added benefits, of safety. Not having any experience, or anyone to hunt with might dissuade hunters from engaging in the sport altogether. One other hunting website had, or currently has a spring bear hunting camp. Experienced bear hunters, who are members of this site, could also greatly benefit as well. We could permanently eliminate the usual questions in the bear hunting forum, and personal messages that are almost always prefaced with, "I'm not asking for anyone's honey hole but," or "I'm just asking you to point me in the right direction." We know they are, and we know what they're up to 😉. Can't say we blame 'em, if it works (it generally doesn't) ..... Anyway, just a thought, I'd been brainstorming for several weeks... 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🐻👍

Last edited by a moderator:

Lprough

FNG
Let’s do it! I would be willing to provide help where needed. Having killed 9 bears and have done it all ways (spot and stalk/bait/hounds) I would be willing to help people get pointed In the right direction. A lot of newbys ask for where to go, but a lot of new hunters want to find their own spot and just want to seek advice on tactics from fellow hunters. I respect those guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this. I’ve been there before as an adult onset hunter - it sucks. Everyone’s assuming you have the worst intentions. Maybe if they give you anything you’ll spread it on the internet, or you’ll invite all your other buddies to the spot they showed you and now their favorite spot is overrun.

One thing I’ve suggested in the past - everyone has unexplored pins. Either invite the new guy along on a scouting trip to see this new country(and explain why you think this area is gonna hold animals) or alternatively assist them in picking some spots of their own. When I say assist, I mean they do the picking and you can interject with your experience whether or not it’s a likely spot. I found I learned better via the latter route. In none of those scenarios are any of your old reliable spots burned. Who knows, maybe you get a good hunting partner and new honey hole out of the deal... worst case scenario you still get to put eyes on new country.

Finally for newer hunters asking for areas, know this - animals are dynamic. Just because Joe Blow killed a bear up the third tributary to Downhill Creek last year doesn’t mean there’s gonna be a bear in there this year... and even if a bear is in there this year doesn’t mean you’re gonna be timed right to see it. Hell there could be a bear there and he only shows up on the days you don’t hunt that hill! Could be a sow with a cub that moves in.

So many variables... that’s why asking for spots sucks - and it has nothing to do with them not wanting you there... I mean they generally don’t, but if you don’t know how to find them in the first place you’re gonna have a tough time going off of spots that were given to you when it doesn’t work out. You’ve gotta be able to answer the question “why didn’t I see a bear in this spot” and be reasonably certain of your answer, because your answer plus what you seen on the hill is gonna determine what spot you go to next, and what spots you eliminate from your hunt altogether.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I actually had pinpointed some very good areas to host a spring bear camp(s) in Idaho's Units 10a, and 10 which would give hunters an opportunity to hunt in a reduced tag fee unit, a regular fee unit, or both. Both units have good populations of bears (and wolves), are overwhelmingly public lands, and private lands which allow almost unlimited public access. Unit 10 allows baiting, 10a does not. There are group campsites available or private sites can be leased for the season. Of course, the proposal would need sponsorship (💰💰) to implement. Partial or total sponsorship for a spring bear camp is something I would consider. But implementation wouldn't be quite as simple....Maybe some member(s) of this site has had experience attending or operating a spring black bear hunting camp similar to HuntTalk Forum's?....🐻👍
I think all of yall are definitely onto something. I have hunted public in the southeast since I was 8 and would say the knowledge from whitetail woods has some overlap but the west is such a different animal. I am one the the main "newbs " on here and will be extremely transparent. I have called game wardens, park rangers, Western timber CO for their private lands, some random folks on facebook all of which are me asking for advice and tips. I am not ashamed nor am I trying to get your pins or spots. To me - this forum is a resource and im happy to share my pins in these areas cuz they are all from e scouting haha. I have found when I ask specifically about "x" aka elevation/ different food source/ spot stalk and what have you seen in these areas in past, it goes better. Its just tough when im 34 hours away ( debated driving - now flying ) and rather be boots on the ground.

So for yall - I leave mid june for clearwater region looking at units 10/12 and have bout 30 pins dropped with plan A - Z. I can share those via onx or google earth but would love to hear any and all advice your willing to give. My biggest fear is how accessible some of my areas will be since im renting a uhaul ( cheapest option) just to get on road and in trailhead or somewhere I can park it. I am backpacking in but thanks for the feedback!

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I actually had pinpointed some very good areas to host a spring bear camp(s) in Idaho's Units 10a, and 10 which would give hunters an opportunity to hunt in a reduced tag fee unit, a regular fee unit, or both. Both units have good populations of bears (and wolves), are overwhelmingly public lands, and private lands which allow almost unlimited public access. Unit 10 allows baiting, 10a does not. There are group campsites available or private sites can be leased for the season. Of course, the proposal would need sponsorship (💰💰) to implement. Partial or total sponsorship for a spring bear camp is something I would consider. But implementation wouldn't be quite as simple....Maybe some member(s) of this site has had experience attending or operating a spring black bear hunting camp similar to HuntTalk Forum's?....🐻👍

280Ackley

WKR
You can bait in 10A

DocV

FNG
With so many questions about spring bear hunting, by so many neophytes ("newbs"), it might be a great idea to create a spring bear hunting camp for inexperienced hunters, who don't know where to hunt, which units to hunt, which methods to use to hunt spring bears (bait, spot/stalk, calling, and of course my advanced, superior, and highly successful interception/ambush method), as well as skinning, hide preparation, etc.. It's easy to sympathize with them, especially when they don't have the opportunity to hunt with an experienced family member, or friend who could help them gain the experience, and skills they need to succeed at tagging a black bear. There's also the added benefits, of safety. Not having any experience, or anyone to hunt with might dissuade hunters from engaging in the sport altogether. One other hunting website had, or currently has a spring bear hunting camp. Experienced bear hunters, who are members of this site, could also greatly benefit as well. We could permanently eliminate the usual questions in the bear hunting forum, and personal messages that are almost always prefaced with, "I'm not asking for anyone's honey hole but," or "I'm just asking you to point me in the right direction." We know they are, and we know what they're up to 😉. Can't say we blame 'em, if it works (it generally doesn't) ..... Anyway, just a thought, I'd been brainstorming for several weeks... 🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🐻👍
Hannibal, Good on you for seeing a need and focusing the enthusiasm of newbies towards a goal in a "manageable" way. I am a lifelong hunter but I am hunting bear for the first time. I agree with other posters that Spring Bear brings new challenges where NOT all of the western hunting tactics/tips translate to bear/predators/spring. Thank you for offering a leg up to your fellow hunters. Forgive the neophytes for we all started there!

Wow, really appreciate this thread. I’m not a new hunter but I’m as green as it gets when it comes to western hunting (PA native currently living in Washington with only 1 season out here under my belt). I’m planning a trip into Idaho on June 17th for about 5 days. I’ve escouted lots of units, or at least the ones open in mid-lay June with decent harvest rates. Keying in on 39 and 12. Concerned about 39 because of the inherent hunting pressure. 12 may be tough in areas due to some of it being pretty heavily timbered. I’ll be taking my uncle on his first western hunt. Expectation management-not basing success at all on getting a bear. Just hoping to get out and have a solid backcountry hunt. Even seeing bears would be amazing. Anyway, not trying to spot hunt, but wanted to say I appreciate what the more experienced western hunters were doing here and if you have any input, I’d love to hear it!

Lprough

FNG
35afa802f7e808489aca75a9688c6cfb.jpg

Took a seasoned hunter who hasn’t ever killed a bear out a couple weeks ago to one of my spot and stalk spots. Was able to get this sow on our second day. I’d say he’s hooked from here on out . Helping new bear hunters out is very rewarding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mcarr94

FNG
Feel like I’m kind of in that situation right now. This was my first year hunting for bears and I hit a few completely different areas just to get familiar. Even having someone give a decent unit could be helpful. I looked up harvest reports and found what I thought was a good unit and it turned out to be sweet. I found a couple bears and it seemed like there was lots of sign. I’d be more than willing to guide new hunters because I know how tough it is to try to figure it all out on your own. Gear, weapon, how to call, what to do with an animal, food to take, all of that is intimidating at first when you’re by yourself. Then you have to try to find a spot that nobody wants to share with you

OP
D

Deleted member 52995

Wow, really appreciate this thread. I’m not a new hunter but I’m as green as it gets when it comes to western hunting (PA native currently living in Washington with only 1 season out here under my belt). I’m planning a trip into Idaho on June 17th for about 5 days. I’ve escouted lots of units, or at least the ones open in mid-lay June with decent harvest rates. Keying in on 39 and 12. Concerned about 39 because of the inherent hunting pressure. 12 may be tough in areas due to some of it being pretty heavily timbered. I’ll be taking my uncle on his first western hunt. Expectation management-not basing success at all on getting a bear. Just hoping to get out and have a solid backcountry hunt. Even seeing bears would be amazing. Anyway, not trying to spot hunt, but wanted to say I appreciate what the more experienced western hunters were doing here and if you have any input, I’d love to hear it!
I normally don't hunt this late in the season for a variety of reasons. However, I have spent the past several weeks calling (unsuccessfully I might add) for wolves, and mountain lions in Unit 12, and there appears to be a significant amount of hunting pressure here as well from outfitters, baiters, hound hunters, road hunters, and especially nonresidents (most of whom are from Montana from my observation). The bears I've seen have been small which is not surprising considering the number of hunters hunting this unit.. But you might get lucky, Bro 🍀...very lucky🍀🍀🍀🍀 ..... 🐻

I normally don't hunt this late in the season for a variety of reasons. However, I have spent the past several weeks calling (unsuccessfully I might add) for wolves, and mountain lions in Unit 12, and there appears to be a significant amount of hunting pressure here as well from outfitters, baiters, hound hunters, road hunters, and especially nonresidents (most of whom are from Montana from my observation). The bears I've seen have been small which is not surprising considering the number of hunters hunting this unit.. But you might get lucky, Bro 🍀...very lucky🍀🍀🍀🍀 ..... 🐻
I think there’s a quote that says “I’d rather be lucky than good” or something to that effect. So I’ll take it haha. Again appreciate the feedback. I agree-I think there’s lots of ways to help out new hunters besides taking them and saying “hunt here”. I’d say most folks who do this probably wouldn’t want that in the first place, though I could be wrong. Sometimes it’s just nice to at least feel like you’re not completely spinning your wheels when you’ve only got one chance to get out somewhere for the year. I’ll keep an eye on the forum but might have to go back to the drawing board or might just have to suck it up and make a decision about a unit/location by next week! Good luck if you’re getting out again!

mhabiger

FNG
This is a great idea. The last two Springs I've done spot and stalk in WY and ID (just back from the heat wave...or I guess it is still going). While I say I'm bear hunting it might as well be backpacking. The experience and time afield is always good but I just feel like I'm hunting too high/low or keying in on the wrong spots. I see plenty of deer and elk so maybe I'm still thinking too much like a deer/elk hunter? I'll see old scat but nothing fresh and have yet to spot a bear. Next year I'd gladly just be another set of eyes and extra set of legs with an experienced bear hunter that does calling and/or spot n' stalk to gain knowledge. If anybody is taking applications let me know, I'm ready to apply and will sign a noncompete agreement :)