Idaho spring bear in Diamond Creek

Hi guys - I have a Diamond creek elk tag for fall 2022. In planning to go for a spring scouting trip, and I’m planning to get a bear tag for that trip. I’ve bumped into bears when elk hunting, but I’ve never intentionally pursued one.

This zone seems too timbered to be glassing one up. Am I stuck with dumb luck stumbling onto one in the trees, or do you have any tips to increase my chances? Is there any options for small scale baiting if I’m backpacking in?

Rob5589

WKR
Hunted there 4 years, never even saw a track. Check how many bears are killed there every year and decide if a tag is worth the price. Good luck!

OP
OleoOutfitters
Yeah, I wasn’t impressed with the harvest numbers, but wanted an excuse to get out there before elk season.

seww

WKR
I have no experience with bears in that unit but I'd love to tag along in the Spring. Am interested in a Spring bear hunt but also scouting for the fall deer and elk.
I'm a resident so haven't decided what unit for elk yet but Diamond creek is fairly close to home.

Bubba94

Lil-Rokslider
I've only seen bear scat in one area of the Diamond Creek Zone, and it was so wooded you wouldn't be able to see where the animal was anyway.

seww

WKR
I've only seen bear scat in one area of the Diamond Creek Zone, and it was so wooded you wouldn't be able to see where the animal was anyway.

Of course there's no scat in your trailer :)
Hmm sure it's denser than other units.

Only success is with hounds and bait. Almost nobody lucks into one out there. There are some nice bears, but honestly its not worth the extra time IMO. To bait, you need a baiting permit. That doesn't generally jive with a plan to pack in somewhere. Not worth it. Focus on elk.

sneaky

"DADDY"
We had a guy kill one a few years back in DC. Big cinnamon color phased. This was during elk season though, not in the spring

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nontyp

FNG
In 4 years of elk hunting there we have seen 4 or 5 with one being killed. We usually have 4-5 guys in camp with most of us coving a lot of ground. Good luck with the hunt it’s one of my favorites

OP
OleoOutfitters
Only success is with hounds and bait. Almost nobody lucks into one out there. There are some nice bears, but honestly its not worth the extra time IMO. To bait, you need a baiting permit. That doesn't generally jive with a plan to pack in somewhere. Not worth it. Focus on elk.
You're probably right, but it seems like having a tag in my pocket will keep me exploring a little longer with a little extra purpose.

Muzzprong

FNG
Pretty low bear densities. I’ve elk hunted there for 25 years and have jumped 1 bear. Have a seen a few on trail cams over water usually in July but they stop coming into the water holes at the first of August.

I could have shot one in there this last elk season. Younger bear. I didn't see the merit in shooting it as I was quite the hike from the truck and by myself. I had him at 30 yards for a couple minutes.