Idaho spring bear info

mdkelley

FNG
Looking for some help to identify a couple of units that would be good for a 5-6 day spot and stalk hunt this spring (probably Memorial day - early June timeframe) so I can contact the area biologist, FW&G warden and order some topo maps of the areas. I am hoping to use my bow but will also bring a rifle incase I can't get close enough with a bow. I am most likely going solo so I would prefer to avoid any grizzly areas until I get a few hunts under my belt. Any area/unit suggestions? I will likely just camp near my truck (stock 4x4 Tacoma) and walk in each day. If a backpack hunt a couple miles in would give me a much better success rate I am up for that as well, I would just need to buy a few items to do that safely. I have a lot of questions since I have never done this before. I have been searching and reading on here pretty extensively as well as searching the internet for more info. I am healthy and exercise regularly so I can do quite a bit of hiking, just trying not to take on too much on my first hunt, want it to be fun.

some questions:

Do I need tire chains for my truck?
should I bring an ATV (and chains for that)?
How long do I need to acclimate to prevent altitude sickness or is it even needed? (I live in Michigan, flat land/swamp)
Are there any 2 tag units that I could hunt this way (truck camp or within a couple miles of the truck) or are those all rugged walk-in type areas?
What resources should I be utilizing to gather info to have a safe and fun hunt?

Spring bear is all about access. Anywhere that you need to go over 6,000 is out by truck until mid-June most years. Much of the better hunting is over by then. The two tag areas are all pretty inaccessible backcountry to my knowledge. Tough to mess with and fish and game is trying to pull you in there.

The cool thing is that Idaho spring bear is not excessively crowded like most OTC areas in the state for deer and elk. Backpack hunting is normally not required.

PM me and I'd be happy to at least get you pointed in the right direction.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
I will PM you soon. Apparently there is a minimum number of posts I need to have before I can send messages... Been lurking on here for a while and finally joined last year but never had anything useful to add to any conversations so I don't post much!

Sounds good. 4 wheeler can open up access in the spring. Truck and chains is a real shady proposition in many places. Lots of areas that aren't as high in elevation to target bears. No need to worry about scouting for deer and elk because where they are in the spring bears little relation to high country fall haunts.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I will PM you soon. Apparently, there is a minimum number of posts I need to have before I can send messages... Been lurking on here for a while and finally joined last year but never had anything useful to add to any conversations so I don't post much!

If another user starts the conversation you can reply. You're also 1 post away. Once you hit 10, it takes a little time for the system to update.

What resources should I be utilizing to gather info to have a safe and fun hunt?

I’ll be up there the last week of May, I’m a newbie to Idaho and spring bear but I’ve been pouring over the onX maps and those have been very helpful when combined with information some members have shared. It’s a good way to find access points and locations you want to check out.

Units 1 through 78 are good spots to start haha! Seriously though, just avoid the Southwest corner (very few bears) and if you want to avoid grizzlies then avoid most units 60-68. Every other unit will provide a decent hunt.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
thanks guys, much appreciated. I have read about the x maps, may have to put it on my computer and GPS unit. My phone won't run it but I think my garmin 64s will...

colersu22

WKR
thanks guys, much appreciated. I have read about the x maps, may have to put it on my computer and GPS unit. My phone won't run it but I think my garmin 64s will...

I have been using the onxmaps chip in my 64 for a couple years and now use them in my rino 650 so you should be good there, pop open the back and under the battery’s you should see the slot for the sd card.

I also have the app on my phone and really like using my computer since it is a bigger screen for scouting. I like how I can drop pins and mark areas on the computer and then it is in my phone app as well then just download the off grid maps and I’m set.

Ben442

FNG
I was planning a similar hunt and had many of the same questions regarding access with trucks and atvs. Glad someone asked it!

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
An atv will serve you well. A dirt bike will be even better for more access.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
I have both but figured there would be to much snow in the mountains for a bike. Good to know, the bike is also street legal

BlkMamba

FNG
I spend a ton of time in the Panhandle and know where there are a couple bruisers if you're looking at unit 1 at all

Headed up to Unit 1 May 22nd - 28th. Looking forward to spending some time in the panhandle. Sticks32 id love to pick your brain sometime

GregB

WKR
Another problem you may run into is even if the snow is gone the runoff may have washed out the road and made it inaccessible. I have run into that problem from time to time. Hit up the FS in the area to see if that is the case.

Units 1 through 78 are good spots to start haha! Seriously though, just avoid the Southwest corner (very few bears) and if you want to avoid grizzlies then avoid most units 60-68. Every other unit will provide a decent hunt.

One spring I was down in winter range country in SW Idaho looking for sheds. I look over in the tall grass by a creek bottom and I'm 10 yards from a brown face looking at me. At first I though it was a dog because hey, it's early spring and I am not in the mountains at all. Nope. A young color phase black bear. Both of us needed a change of pants after that. I got a pic after we both put a comfortable distance between ourselves.

1554951753944.png

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Is the snow pack this year in ID big enough to affect the the timeing of when the bears start coming out? We just had 10 more inches in CO and it looks like we might get a few more this week.