Idaho spring bear info

I spend a ton of time in the Panhandle and know where there are a couple bruisers if you're looking at unit 1 at all
I've been in unit 2 the past couple days. I would love to get up into unit 1 sometime. I can't PM you because of the message count. If you wouldn't mind chatting send me a PM.

Is the snow pack this year in ID big enough to affect the the timeing of when the bears start coming out? We just had 10 more inches in CO and it looks like we might get a few more this week.
I spent yesterday putting in baits. 3' to 6' of snow where last year there was just crusty remnant drifts in the shade. Usually I find some bear tracks around my bait sites from the early risers checking to see if I've brought them groceries yet, but this year I found no bear sign at all. Plenty of winterkilled deer and elk though.

thanks guys, much appreciated. I have read about the x maps, may have to put it on my computer and GPS unit. My phone won't run it but I think my garmin 64s will...

Here is a website where you can download any USGS topo for free. Pick the pre-90's versions, they have more information on them.

https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/topoview/viewer/#4/39.98/-100.06

Before you pay for OnX, try AlpineQuest on your phone for free. I think it only works with Android but I could be wrong. You can select between Google satellite, terrain, road maps, bing satellite & road maps, USGS topos. Everything is already at your fingertips. You can even create trails and waypoints in Google Earth on your computer and put them into the app.

I see you are in Michigan too, If you want, shoot me a PM and you can pick my brain.

I was in a spring draw unit on Sunday and found the same thing as Bluetick. 3-5 feet of snow where on a normal year there shouldn’t be any. It’s supposed to hit the high 70’s Friday, this will make the snow melt pretty fast. I think we are 2-3 weeks behind schedule in terms of snowmelt.

Attachments

• C4EBCEE8-EFFA-4FBF-83D2-1928D245396D.jpeg
    C4EBCEE8-EFFA-4FBF-83D2-1928D245396D.jpeg
    270.5 KB · Views: 82

Wrench

WKR
Another thing to think about, if you can get to your area by truck....you can expect company. I always find the back end of the season to be the best. More area, more bears and less chance of hounds blowing up your hunt.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
Thanks for all the tips! I was busy with some other items and hadn't logged in for a while. I am probably not taking my truck now. None of my hunting buddies wanted to go to Idaho for bear so the girlfriend is going (she didn't want me to go alone on my first trip and I didn't want to pay an outfitter to set me up over bait). I haven't yet found a topper for the back of my truck (to camp in) so we are likely going to take my mother's motorhome and trailer my motorcycle and quad out (GF isn't really into tent camping especially after I mentioned bear and wolves in the areas I plan to explore). Thinking I will be pretty limited in the areas I can hunt without a truck but it should still be fun. I am thinking of it as an exploratory trip this year to find decent hunting and camping spots with plans to head back every spring. Heading out May 18th for 9-10 days. Anyone have any advice on finding campgrounds I could get a class C 23 ft. into? I am not willing to damage it on rough roads since I probably will want to borrow it again. We may travel to a few different areas but planning to start hunting around units 19 and 20. Possibly migrate to the Sawtooths at some point, I am not sure. I want to stay out of Grizzly areas for this trip.

Been using several free maps. These may help some of you out. The national map GIS data is most likely where OnX gets a lot of the data they display. There many overlays you can include like fire data, roadless areas, topo, satellite imagery etc. Really neat but I don't know if you can mark waypoints on it.

Thanks for all the tips! I was busy with some other items and hadn't logged in for a while. I am probably not taking my truck now. None of my hunting buddies wanted to go to Idaho for bear so the girlfriend is going (she didn't want me to go alone on my first trip and I didn't want to pay an outfitter to set me up over bait). I haven't yet found a topper for the back of my truck (to camp in) so we are likely going to take my mother's motorhome and trailer my motorcycle and quad out (GF isn't really into tent camping especially after I mentioned bear and wolves in the areas I plan to explore). Thinking I will be pretty limited in the areas I can hunt without a truck but it should still be fun. I am thinking of it as an exploratory trip this year to find decent hunting and camping spots with plans to head back every spring. Heading out May 18th for 9-10 days. Anyone have any advice on finding campgrounds I could get a class C 23 ft. into? I am not willing to damage it on rough roads since I probably will want to borrow it again. We may travel to a few different areas but planning to start hunting around units 19 and 20. Possibly migrate to the Sawtooths at some point, I am not sure. I want to stay out of Grizzly areas for this trip.

Been using several free maps. These may help some of you out. The national map GIS data is most likely where OnX gets a lot of the data they display. There many overlays you can include like fire data, roadless areas, topo, satellite imagery etc. Really neat but I don't know if you can mark waypoints on it.

Unless you have a jetboat, 19 is going to be pretty much inaccessable in that time range. You have to cross the Main Salmon River at Wind River pack trail to access unit 19. Not saying that it's impossible, but on foot it's going to be more than tough. Unit 20 will probably still be snowed in . You can take the motorhome to the end of the road on the main Salmon, which basically ends at the Wind River pack bridge.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
Thanks for the info and the snow pack link! Sounds like I will need to plan something a bit different for this trip...

Zac Swank

FNG
Anyone know how the avalanche area North of Stanley looks? Looking at setting in north of there and then broadcasting out.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
I've been researching Idaho spring bear as well. I'll be keeping tabs on the snowpack before heading out, but I have a question about the reduced price tag, snow, timing, and bear behavior. Looks like most of the reduced price wilderness area will have access issues through the majority of the season due to snow, but for one who enjoys backpack hunting, would a person be losing much in terms of hunt quality with a plan to hunt one of the wildernesses in the second and third weeks in June? (watching snowpack before heading out) I know the peak of the rut can be found other places earlier on, but if a person prefers a wilderness backpack style experience, what are some realistic expectations for might be encountered mid to late June?

Yes, normally much lower quality experience in the reduced price areas. Few residents want to hunt there so Fish and Game is trying to incentivize nonresidents to. Spring bear unlike fall deer and elk hunting isn't super busy in Idaho and you can have a remote hunting experience in just about any unit that's actually accessible.

Don't rule out using the snow to make your own "wilderness area". Find valleys where the only access is via snow covered ridge roads. Snowshoe over and have a valley of your own!

I am not much of a bear hunter, but have lived in north Idaho for awhile. I shot a color phase black bear that squared 6'4 mid june a couple of years ago. Like on any normal year, you will not be accessing the high country until 4th of july, sometimes sooner. This year the snowpack is not much. But don't expect going anywhere you want until the end of june.

Look for grass in creek bottoms, that is mainly what they are eating this time of year. Remember the snowpack typically gains until mid april and then starts to come off, main run off is typically around memorial day.

some of the units in northern central Idaho don't close until july 31st for a reason, access.

That’s awesome! Great to see everyone help out and then see it all come together. Congrats!

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Congrats! I've only seen sows with cubs and one quick glimpse of a solo bear.

Now, though, a lot of people will read this and "realize" that it only takes 2 days to get a bear in Idaho.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
yeah, I guess I am not including the time spent researching online, four books I read, hours looking at maps and all the helpful posts and PMs from members here in the overall hunt time 😊. This was a boar, awaiting results from DNR on tooth age.