Idaho Spring Bear - Reduced Price Units

Hi everyone, I am looking into doing my first spring bear hunt this year. Due to a tight budget, I am focusing on the reduced price units for spring bear in ID. I understand there are better units to hunt in, but I simply cannot swing those so I am looking for information specific to the reduced units. The plan would be to go first or second week in June but could push it back later if that is the right move. Any information regarding which reduced unit has the best access or best hunting opportunity is much appreciated. I am coming from MN and the snow melt seems to be my biggest worry regarding access. I am young, in shape, and willing to put in the miles. Thanks for all the wisdom from everyone as I am trying to learn as much as I can so I can be prepared.

Last edited:
Some real issues with trying that late. Bears are scattered more and rubber hides. Hit reduced price areas with some reliable road access. Deep wilderness is just going to be a bear to find anything and get around unless you’re a pro backpacker and glasses. The outskirts of the nonresidents and less remote areas are likely to be better IMO.

OP
J
Some real issues with trying that late. Bears are scattered more and rubber hides. Hit reduced price areas with some reliable road access. Deep wilderness is just going to be a bear to find anything and get around unless you’re a pro backpacker and glasses. The outskirts of the nonresidents and less remote areas are likely to be better IMO.

It seemed like with the reading I have been doing that there can be access issues even into mid June due to the snow pack. So early June should be no problem as far as access into the units? Do you have any units in mind where access is less of an issue right away in June? I just want to be able to get into a unit with no issues from as far as access. Better hunting is secondary as I just am looking to get into the mountains and do a little hunting.

Voyageur

WKR
One piece of advice that pops up time after time on the forum is to just pick a unit and go...whether it be bear, elk, deer, whatever, just pick a unit and go. You'll learn a lot, make mistakes, maybe get an animal, and if mountain hunting is your thing you'll be planning next year's trip before you even start the trek home.
If your schedule is flexible it works great prior to your trip to check in periodically with someone in your chosen unit to get up to date reports on the snow melt. This person could be the local conservation officer. Another good source of info is someone whose livelihood is dependent on outdoor recreation....such as ATV dealers, sporting goods stores, convenience stores, etc. Establishing this contact is well worthwhile as even 3 or 4 days can make a huge difference for accessibility in late May early June.

crossone

FNG
Idahohikker is right on with this, June is late. The hides tend to be rubbed out and you don’t see many bears. April is often too early in many places because the grass really hasn’t started growing in the openings and the roads still have too much snow on them.

Nothing wrong with the reduced price units. Most of the areas that I hunt for bears are the reduced price units. They reduced the prices because there are too many bears and not enough deer and elk in them. Heck! Almost the whole Frank Church wilderness is a reduced price area and it’s lousy with bears! It just has such limited access that almost nobody goes in there after them, especially during the spring when access is even more restricted.