Idaho Spring Bear Unit

brum30

FNG
I am planning a spring bear hunt in Idaho this year. It will be my first time, and I'd appreciate any help on picking a unit. I was looking at Unit 19 and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it? I'm 22 and in good shape, so I'm able to cover ground quickly and traverse difficult terrain. I'm hoping that will help my chances to reach areas with high bear density and avoid the crowds. I am mainly focused on spot and stalk as I don't really have the means to stock up on bait or store metal drums.

Thanks for the advice. What about 17 or would you consider the Selway zone not a good area in general?
Don’t have any experience with 17. Use the search function, there’s a couple great threads about Idaho bear hunting, one is 15+ pages long and the other talks about population densities within various regions of the state. In any unit you will likely have pockets that have higher density and areas that are seemingly void of life. Being able to identify these areas is key. Don’t get hung up on the discounted/second bear tag thing. Your likelihood of killing one bear in a wilderness unit you’ve never set foot in is low, killing two is even lower. Best of luck, lots of good areas out there and the only way to learn is to do it.👍🏻

mscott87

FNG
Also looking at doing my first bear hunt. Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. Good luck on your future hunts!