Idaho spring bear

AbnRanger

FNG
Few Colorado guys experienced...looking to come up to Idaho for the first time for spring black bear. Looking at areas 20a, 26, and 27. Going to backpack hunt and have experience doing so.
Just wondering what time frame we should come up..... as far as road access, snow ect.
You can PM me please or respond... just trying to figure out what is the best timeframe to take off so we can plan it ect.

There's a recent thread on this.

The access roads into the wilderness areas all go over 7000 foot passes so you're not getting in until late Spring.

The bear densities are likely lower in the wilderness. Only hunt it for two reasons: you're enthralled with the idea of wild country or you can only afford a discount tag. Otherwise, the bear hunting and access will likely be better elsewhere. The wilderness is neat country though. I enjoyed my time in there though I am mostly on to other hunting pastures with more game.

Feel free to PM and I can be more specific on timing I'd recommend, etc.

skierhs

WKR
I second the above. Certain places around 5k feet have over 5 feet of snow already with more on the way. Depending how March and April go your probably looking at mid to late May at the earliest to get in deep in some places. Feel free to pm me as well. I won’t give you any spots but will help out as much as I can.

Benjblt

WKR
There's a recent thread on this.

The access roads into the wilderness areas all go over 7000 foot passes so you're not getting in until late Spring.

The bear densities are likely lower in the wilderness. Only hunt it for two reasons: you're enthralled with the idea of wild country or you can only afford a discount tag. Otherwise, the bear hunting and access will likely be better elsewhere. The wilderness is neat country though. I enjoyed my time in there though I am mostly on to other hunting pastures with more game.

Feel free to PM and I can be more specific on timing I'd recommend, etc.

Following this thread. Not to steal it but what is the discount tag thing?

Idaho offers cheaper bear tags in remote places where they are trying to bring down predator numbers due to wolf issues primarily. These units are less accessible to hunting outside of September and October due to remoteness. They aren't offered because bear numbers are higher in the units, just to incentivize non-residents to hunt there. Wolves have hit all these units pretty hard and most areas are under objective for elk because of it.

Benjblt

WKR
Idaho offers cheaper bear tags in remote places where they are trying to bring down predator numbers due to wolf issues primarily. These units are less accessible to hunting outside of September and October due to remoteness. They aren't offered because bear numbers are higher in the units, just to incentivize non-residents to hunt there. Wolves have hit all these units pretty hard and most areas are under objective for elk because of it.

Good to know. I'll have to look into that. Cheaper is better for me.

GregB

WKR
It will depend on how deep the snowpack is. Some of the higher passes could be snowed in till May or so if it's real deep, even after it melt to where the snow level is drive-able the roads can be a soupy mess for a bit. I never saw many bears in that area but you'll at least see some awesome country.

I got one in MT last year on the 18th I think, then went to IF a few days later. I was around Pierce. It’s so think it’s almost Claustrophobic. Good luck.

skierhs

WKR
Awesome! Thanks for the info! Pretty much thinking end of May/ beginning of June is best!?
Yeah roughly, the only way it would be better earlier is if the snow melts earlier this year. With the snow coming in we’re having our guys that are coming in from bear camp pushed back to the third or fourth week in May. We got a lot of snow in the last few weeks.

based on past years, above 5k ft will likely have 2-3 ft of snow through the middle of may- beginning of june. Above 6k ft will have 5 ft or more of snow meting off until about the second week of june.

Really hard to predict snow levels area to area, but if things keep going the way they are, I wouldn't plan any backcountry or high elev stuff until after june.

Most of the snow we have been seeing has been really low water content, so when it warms up it goes away pretty quick.

GregB

WKR
Bring snow chains, even if there is not a lot of snow you can loose traction real easy when it's wet and melting.

I think trying to get into areas that go over 6500 feet, which is basically every entry into the Frank, before mid June is a sketchy proposition for a number of reasons. Maybe with a side by side at the end of May. We have a pretty good snow year going here in Idaho. There's so many other areas though if you poke around your maps.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good to know. I'll have to look into that. Cheaper is better for me.
Those tags are for the steep nasty. I did it ONCE it was so thick when I could actually see though the trees on my side of the canyon I couldn't see into the trees on the other side. Sometimes it's just best to spend a bit more and ENJOY the experience.
I also had big plans to go somewhere and glass glass glass but snow limited my travel plans allot. Matter of fact the road opened only a few days before my trip and that was 1 week in June.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Benjblt

WKR
Those tags are for the steep nasty. I did it ONCE it was so thick when I could actually see though the trees on my side of the canyon I couldn't see into the trees on the other side. Sometimes it's just best to spend a bit more and ENJOY the experience.
I also had big plans to go somewhere and glass glass glass but snow limited my travel plans allot. Matter of fact the road opened only a few days before my trip and that was 1 week in June.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm starting to think its not worth it. We have some of the same problems with access, snow, and trees here in Oregon.

Pwells10

WKR
Id come up late May and into June. This will be the first year I'll be able to hunt later into the season since I've recently retired from baseball (getting old)

I/we've usually hunted early on and sucks. Last 5 years weve seen 1 bear because I cant hunt the later part. Ton of snow where we hunt into. We spot and stalk. No bait or hounds for us.

crossone

FNG
Some of the Panhandle Units, 4, 6, and 7 all offer the reduced price 2-bear unit tags and they’re accessible. Yes, they’re thick but not everywhere.