Idaho Spring Bear

Jtay561

FNG
Any access points that have facilities that need cleaning or attract a vast array of user groups that could be perceived as crowded are going to be first on the chopping block. If those are the only reasonable access point into an area, would reasonably close that area. As far as district or forest wide closures, I’d be amazed. I have been amazed by all this more than once.

Jtay561

FNG
No more non-resident tag and license sales for spring bear. If one already purchased, it is still valid. No more new sales tho

skierhs

WKR
No more non-resident tag and license sales for spring bear. If one already purchased, it is still valid. No more new sales tho
Just saw that and I am not surprised. It will be interesting to see what other states go that route.

ericwh

WKR
Bummer. We were planning for last week in May but I hadn't bought a tag yet. What do you think the odds are that they will reopen sales? Not sure about the quality of experience if access is going to be reduced..

sneaky

"DADDY"
Realistically I would guess that spring seasons are probably going to be off the table at this point unless there's a drastic change in people's behaviour

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

More sites added to the BNF closures. It seems like they are following the snow line up, closing areas that are starting to become accessible. Also as a side note. Valley County (McCALL, Cascade) is really not taking kindly to outsiders.

KineKilla

WKR
I am watching these closures very closely. I purchased a NR Bear/Combo tag through an outfitter last spring and my hunt is scheduled for late May. I believe it is in unit (s) 10, 10A or 12...not sure which exactly. I know the nearest town is Kamiah.

So far, my tags are still valid. I do worry about the outfitter cancelling or postponing the hunts out of fear or from a mandate by the IDFG or local governments. There was no way to know this would happen a year ago when I booked this hunt but it still sucks nonetheless.

I'll be watching this thread closely as it likely contains better and more up to date information that the news outlets will provide.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I am watching these closures very closely. I purchased a NR Bear/Combo tag through an outfitter last spring and my hunt is scheduled for late May. I believe it is in unit (s) 10, 10A or 12...not sure which exactly. I know the nearest town is Kamiah.

So far, my tags are still valid. I do worry about the outfitter cancelling or postponing the hunts out of fear or from a mandate by the IDFG or local governments. There was no way to know this would happen a year ago when I booked this hunt but it still sucks nonetheless.

I'll be watching this thread closely as it likely contains better and more up to date information that the news outlets will provide.
How did you buy a tag last spring when they don't go on sale til Dec 1st for NR every year?

OP
I
How did you buy a tag last spring when they don't go on sale til Dec 1st for NR every year?

Sneaks, calm down. I’m just laughing about how the client doesn’t know which unit or group of units he’ll be in, just the closest town. I get why outfitters keep that close to the vest but sometimes it’s silly to me. Imagine an sos call. “Yeah so the outfitter said the nearest town to our location is Kamiah. We’re in a sea of timber and I really have no idea where I am.”

A hunt residents should be happy to help with. Come have a great time and kill a bear. Montana and Wyoming also have good spring bear hunting. Spot and stalk is lots of fun and totally doable for hunting. On multiple trips I've spotted bears on day one.

Nonresidents wondering where to go have lots of options. The units with the most bears killed, say top three, are well known. They're good and have a lot of bears killed to some extent because of their popularity. Not crazy busy in those units from my experience but also kind of nice to get off the beaten track a bit more.

Salmon, McCall, Sawtooth, Beaverhead, Lemhi all have at least decent bear numbers. The Middle Fork and Selway Zones are not very accessible due to high country access points until Mid June or later when the bear hunting starts to drop off or get closed. You could target a mid June backcountry hunt in there and make it work but access will be a challenge and the bear hunting won’t be easy that late and in huge country. You could also do a fly-in hunt earlier in the season when the greenup is closer to the river and animals are closer to winter range. That would likely be a better hunt. You could have a wolf, lion, bear combo hunt and just an amazing time in deep backcountry. The other main access point to the Selway and Salmon Zones is along the river roads. Steep hiking but a good number of bears if you hike away from access points.

In general, for the average guy not messing with the lower priced tags which are more difficult to access and rugged to get around will make for a more successful hunt. Buy full price and go for it.

Throughout the state, you'll want to do your research to see if the road you're planning on taking will be open. Anything above 5,000 feet is a red flag. Call the forest service office and post on here if you want about the roads. Look at Snotel and information available online about snowpack. Many will be closed or impassable. You might be good for a while and then hit a snowbank. A common good approach is to find a lower elevation road and hike up from there. 4 wheelers are very helpful for getting around when access might be hit or miss.

Northern Idaho has more bears generally speaking than south and central Idaho. Panhandle, Clearwater, and Lolo areas can be productive. You will have to plan for how you hunt with all the dense timber but there are bears around and more wolves up there too.

Pioneer and more desert units south of I-84 don't have a lot of bears.

Normally the later part of April through early June the hunting can be good. May is a nice middle ground. You might want to hunt a little lower or higher depending on the timing.

Feel free to PM. Depending on volume and where you're looking, I might be able to help. I don't know that much about the areas north of the Salmon River Breaks. Anything south of that I've probably ventured through and hunted at least a little for some critter.
Lots of good info man 👍