Idaho Spring Bear

Boone-In-Wall

Lil-Rokslider
Planning a trip for next spring and this thread has been a gold mine on knowing which direction to go. Thank you for sharing!

bdg848

WKR
Looking at Idaho for 2021. I will be hunting spot and stalk. I've been looking at harvest stats and want your opinions on how to look at the numbers. Should I look for higher total number of harvests or higher spot and stalk numbers since that is how I want to hunt? For example one unit has twice the number of total harvest but a ratio of bait kills 4:1, the second unit has half as many total harvests but a 1:1 ratio of spot and stalk vs bait kills. Does it even matter? Should I just flip a coin?

skierhs

WKR
Looking at Idaho for 2021. I will be hunting spot and stalk. I've been looking at harvest stats and want your opinions on how to look at the numbers. Should I look for higher total number of harvests or higher spot and stalk numbers since that is how I want to hunt? For example one unit has twice the number of total harvest but a ratio of bait kills 4:1, the second unit has half as many total harvests but a 1:1 ratio of spot and stalk vs bait kills. Does it even matter? Should I just flip a coin?
If your spot and stalk hunting I would pay attention of bait kills only for an idea of how much pressure is in the area from bait hunting. I would personally stay father away from big bait units if possible for spot and stalk.

A hunt residents should be happy to help with. Come have a great time and kill a bear. Montana and Wyoming also have good spring bear hunting. Spot and stalk is lots of fun and totally doable for hunting. On multiple trips I've spotted bears on day one.

Nonresidents wondering where to go have lots of options. The units with the most bears killed, say top three, are well known. They're good and have a lot of bears killed to some extent because of their popularity. Not crazy busy in those units from my experience but also kind of nice to get off the beaten track a bit more.

Salmon, McCall, Sawtooth, Beaverhead, Lemhi all have at least decent bear numbers. The Middle Fork and Selway Zones are not very accessible due to high country access points until Mid June or later when the bear hunting starts to drop off or get closed. You could target a mid June backcountry hunt in there and make it work but access will be a challenge and the bear hunting won’t be easy that late and in huge country. You could also do a fly-in hunt earlier in the season when the greenup is closer to the river and animals are closer to winter range. That would likely be a better hunt. You could have a wolf, lion, bear combo hunt and just an amazing time in deep backcountry. The other main access point to the Selway and Salmon Zones is along the river roads. Steep hiking but a good number of bears if you hike away from access points.

In general, for the average guy not messing with the lower priced tags which are more difficult to access and rugged to get around will make for a more successful hunt. Buy full price and go for it.

Throughout the state, you'll want to do your research to see if the road you're planning on taking will be open. Anything above 5,000 feet is a red flag. Call the forest service office and post on here if you want about the roads. Look at Snotel and information available online about snowpack. Many will be closed or impassable. You might be good for a while and then hit a snowbank. A common good approach is to find a lower elevation road and hike up from there. 4 wheelers are very helpful for getting around when access might be hit or miss.

Northern Idaho has more bears generally speaking than south and central Idaho. Panhandle, Clearwater, and Lolo areas can be productive. You will have to plan for how you hunt with all the dense timber but there are bears around and more wolves up there too.

Pioneer and more desert units south of I-84 don't have a lot of bears.

Normally the later part of April through early June the hunting can be good. May is a nice middle ground. You might want to hunt a little lower or higher depending on the timing.

Feel free to PM. Depending on volume and where you're looking, I might be able to help. I don't know that much about the areas north of the Salmon River Breaks. Anything south of that I've probably ventured through and hunted at least a little for some critter.
I’m planning a solo spring bear hunt in unit 19, looking to hike in from the wind river pack bridge first week of May. This is my first time hunting in Idaho and I’ve done a lot of research but am still not sure if this is to early or even there are very many bears in this area. I’ve talked to a Forrest ranger and they made it sound like I’d likely run into snow but I’m not sure if it’ll be to much to hunt. I’ve also looked at the harvest report and it is slightly lower than other areas but not sure if this is from less bears or less hunters. Coming from Ohio I don’t want to show up at a bad time or end up in a unit with low numbers of bears. I’m willing to put in some hard miles to get to them but don’t want to beat my head against a wall.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m planning a solo spring bear hunt in unit 19, looking to hike in from the wind river pack bridge first week of May. This is my first time hunting in Idaho and I’ve done a lot of research but am still not sure if this is to early or even there are very many bears in this area. I’ve talked to a Forrest ranger and they made it sound like I’d likely run into snow but I’m not sure if it’ll be to much to hunt. I’ve also looked at the harvest report and it is slightly lower than other areas but not sure if this is from less bears or less hunters. Coming from Ohio I don’t want to show up at a bad time or end up in a unit with low numbers of bears. I’m willing to put in some hard miles to get to them but don’t want to beat my head against a wall.
First week of May you will 100% encounter snow where you'll be encountering bears. They are chasing the snow line up following the green up of the grass as the snow melts. What made you decide on Unit 19?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

First week of May you will 100% encounter snow where you'll be encountering bears. They are chasing the snow line up following the green up of the grass as the snow melts. What made you decide on Unit 19?

I picked unit 19 to try and avoid people but also be able to hike in and avoid having to drive on mountain pass roads, I also saw that it was a two tag unit so I thought the bear population was probably higher. Would you say that time of year is to early, trying to hit the sweet spot between having a good number of bears out and feeding but before the rut.

Stupid question, didn't see the answer when looking through the thread. I can add a spring bear tag to my cart, but I don't see where it makes me pick a unit? Are you restrcited to a unit when buying a full price bear tag? Or can I hunt any full priced units other than controlled?

Now that I look again, it doesn't even make you choose spring or fall? Is it valid for both?

Rob5589

WKR
It looks like a tag is good for any zone and either season. Each zone has specific dates for both spring and fall.

It looks like a tag is good for any zone and either season. Each zone has specific dates for both spring and fall.
So if you are unsuccessful in the spring you can just hunt in the fall? In whatever zone is open?

Rob5589

WKR
That's what I thought. I started looking this morning after I had a non-resident elk tag in the cart and just couldn't pull the $1000 trigger.

lol, yeah, it's expensive to play the non res hunting game. I am looking into a spring bear/wolf combo for myself and daughter this year. Have never killed either, no spring seasons here, and my daughter is kinda freaked out trying to kill a bear and/or wolf. Should be a hoot!

skierhs

WKR
That's what I thought. I started looking this morning after I had a non-resident elk tag in the cart and just couldn't pull the $1000 trigger.
The tag is good for the calendar year which means if you buy it in the spring it’ll be good for the fall but not the other way around. When you buy the tag it’s good for any otc unit if you buy the full priced license or only the discounted units if you go that route. They may ask what unit you intend to hunt to gather info but it’s good for more than just that unit. Call their office, they’re super helpful.

kct802

FNG
So much awesome info on here really appreciate all of the knowledge getting passed on. I see everyone suggesting late season hunts but my only opportunity is the last week of April and first week of May. Was hoping to hunt the panhandle. Anyone have any suggestions for making this work or am I just going to be on a sightseeing trip?

sneaky

"DADDY"
So much awesome info on here really appreciate all of the knowledge getting passed on. I see everyone suggesting late season hunts but my only opportunity is the last week of April and first week of May. Was hoping to hunt the panhandle. Anyone have any suggestions for making this work or am I just going to be on a sightseeing trip?
All depends on snow levels at that time. A lot of access may be blocked due to snow.