Idaho Spring Bear

RimRunner

FNG
Sounds good I think Iam leaning 43 just based on being able to move country easier than packing in the snake

BigAl!

WKR
I'm looking to go for the first time this year. I'm from WA and looking for a hunting partner for this trip - PM me.
This is awesome info. Thank you to the OP and all contributors.

mmeyer214

FNG
Buddy and I are planing a hunt at the end of May, I've been beating the state up on OnX for months now looking for what looks to be good spots.

Wassid82

WKR
I’ve been thinking about a spring bear hunt in Idaho, following! Anyone have experience getting dropped off by jet boat in hell’s canyon?
I've never done it but have heard of people doing it. If I were to do I would probably call the steelhead guides up there ask if they would be willing to do it. Often times those guys will do cast and blast in the fall.

MrE4853

FNG
I've never done it but have heard of people doing it. If I were to do I would probably call the steelhead guides up there ask if they would be willing to do it. Often times those guys will do cast and blast in the fall.
I have a buddy who is going to ask a steelhead guide he uses regularly about shuttling us up the river.

Wrench

WKR
Be aware that the rivers get ROWDY in the spring. A few years ago the salmon had a massive blowout of trees that made it unpassable for a few days.

If it lies between Canada and mcall I can assure you it has bears. The reduced tag areas are a bargain and hold good opportunity. I have had a chance at a cat the last two years running but my desire to kill them with a longbow has stripped my title.

It's best to wait until late may to even think about where you are going. A late season snow or elongated cold spell can make some areas inaccessible to most well into June.

mmeyer214

FNG
We were looking into the reduced priced units as its cheap. You can get a wolf and bear with licence for under $300.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Cheesehead

Lil-Rokslider
Total newbie to ID here, but here in Wisconsin all our bears are pretty much coal black. I’d really like a color phase bear. Are they more common in some regions than others? Almost connected in CO this year on a gorgeous brown phase but doh! Thanks I’m advance

netman

WKR
When would be the best time to arrive in Idaho for a bear hunt? I would be driving in from Indiana and want to make sure about the snow.
Does the moon phases effect bears movements ?

When would be the best time to arrive in Idaho for a bear hunt? I would be driving in from Indiana and want to make sure about the snow.

I went the last week of May and had no issues with snow. The snow line was up around 5500-6k feet.

mmeyer214

FNG
I went the last week of May and had no issues with snow. The snow line was up around 5500-6k feet.

That's when we were planning on going this year, I know there is a lot of factors that play in that. that's is also the elevation rang buddy and I were looking at 4k to 6k ish

That's when we were planning on going this year, I know there is a lot of factors that play in that. that's is also the elevation rang buddy and I were looking at 4k to 6k ish

You’ll be fine, I was around 4000ish feet. Parked the truck at 1800 and hiked in. No snow and plenty of water in every drainage, weather was great.

netman

WKR
My wife plans to take off June and July again this year. So I’m thinking a spring bear hunt the first week of June.
We spent five weeks last June/July camping along the Idaho Montana border.
I guess I need to start looking for a place to hunt bears.

Kgentry

Lil-Rokslider

the moon phase does actually have a lot to do with the bears. Last year we hunted bears in Idaho and were fortunate enough to have really good weather but we fought the full moon. Bears are quite nocturnal and will feed all night and avoid feeding during the day if possible. And that’s what happen to us we didn’t get the cloud cover to hide the moon and the bears were feeding during the night.