Idaho Spring Bear

SoNV

This is my first post here, but I've been a lurker for years.

I hunted the western side of Gospel Hump last year for deer with no success, and am heading up first week of June to try to get my first bear... my plan was to pick up a reduced tag and hunt off a trailhead on the Magruder Corridor, but I have been freaking out reading about all of the areas in the reduced units with elevation are going to be impassible even with a 4x4 in June.

I really want to have a good time and not have my hunt ruined by snow again, especially as I haven't been up there that time of year yet. But, I also want to have a decent shot at filling the freezer too.

Like I said, I found some good looking spots in unit 20, but the trails are at about 8,000 feet. It seems like anything too much lower is going to be way too dense to have an enjoyable hunt in, which was my experience in the Hump.

Has anyone hunted the 17/20 area in June before? Specifically off of the Magruder?

In retrospect I should have planned my trip for earlier and picked up a general tag in a better location. I don't know if I'm overthinking this, but it's a 16 hour trip for me and I want to make the most of it.

SoNV

Not for bears, only elk. You may very well be able to gain access, or some access to the areas you'd like to hunt but it would be best to contact the local USFS office, and ask them how much of the corridor might be accessible. In any case, there are other options. "PM" me, and I'll give you some other possible options where you can gain access. By the way, I couldn't agree more with the comment you made about purchasing a regular nonresident bear tag. It would be a much better option. 🐻👍
As a rookie here looks like I'm going to have to wait a week to PM you but will do so! Thank you.

It's stressful, I want to see that country and also have an opportunity for a good hunt but the weather can really leave you SOL pretty much overnight in any of these units, seems like.

Sandstrom22

Thanks for the help on here guys. Ended up harvesting a good Boar last week on the hunt. We ended up with two bears, both very close to the creek bottoms 2500-3500 feet in elevation on the creek drainages. Saw a total of 7 bears in 4 days. Appreciate the help form you guys who sent me a PM. FB6D6D2B-3174-4424-A25D-4CD4B1674957.jpeg EBCA44CD-CC88-4CCA-81AC-B4666A753550.jpeg 6955FA0D-879D-4263-96C0-21FDB29F1327.jpeg

Big_wals

Thanks for the help on here guys. Ended up harvesting a good Boar last week on the hunt. We ended up with two bears, both very close to the creek bottoms 2500-3500 feet in elevation on the creek drainages. Saw a total of 7 bears in 4 days. Appreciate the help form you guys who sent me a PM.
Awesome man!👍

yellowbeard

Thanks for the help on here guys. Ended up harvesting a good Boar last week on the hunt. We ended up with two bears, both very close to the creek bottoms 2500-3500 feet in elevation on the creek drainages. Saw a total of 7 bears in 4 days. Appreciate the help form you guys who sent me a PM.
Congratulations! Looks like a monster pack out. Did you manage it in one load?

jcav