Idaho Spring Bear

Jtay561

FNG
How do you find clearcuts on a map or company map?

Also, are any companies clearcutting in Unit 1?

Also, the reduced units appear to be almost inaccessible to a certain extent, which is why I'm guessing the price is lower. I called IDFG and spoke with someone and she said the prices were lower lower in those units because as was previously mentioned, they want the bear numbers down.

Are there clearcut maps for those units, for the entire state? How do you get your hands on clearcut maps?

Thanks.

Inland paper, Stimson are a few of the companies up north.

Inland land on the border with WA just north of CDA has a decent amount of bears. I know a couple guys that do some serious baiting up there, but still options for s&s.

WT57

FNG
Inland paper, Stimson are a few of the companies up north.

Inland land on the border with WA just north of CDA has a decent amount of bears. I know a couple guys that do some serious baiting up there, but still options for s&s.
This is probably an ignernt question, but do the paper companies you mention have maps that I can pay for if they print them off or how does that work? I've been thinking of Unit 1 and then the reduced tag price units merely because after speaking with someone at IDFG, she said there were lots of bears in those units and in Unit 1 because the place is also loaded with bears. But areas with clear cuts are the spring bear magnet I understand.

This is probably an ignernt question, but do the paper companies you mention have maps that I can pay for if they print them off or how does that work? I've been thinking of Unit 1 and then the reduced tag price units merely because after speaking with someone at IDFG, she said there were lots of bears in those units and in Unit 1 because the place is also loaded with bears. But areas with clear cuts are the spring bear magnet I understand.

They don’t have maps, but you will need to go get permission from the different lumber companies to hunt their land. It’s $50 for Stimson, and like $30 for Inland.

The Forest Service has maps for like $12, or just get OnX, and it will show you land ownership.

WT57

FNG
They don’t have maps, but you will need to go get permission from the different lumber companies to hunt their land. It’s $50 for Stimson, and like $30 for Inland.

The Forest Service has maps for like $12, or just get OnX, and it will show you land ownership.
Thanks for the information.

Jtay561

FNG

Inland does also have some basic maps. They don’t necessarily map cuts tho. Every great now and then one of the timber management companies will have some problem bears that they may point in direction and too. If unit 1 is where your set on, fires on the west side of priest and state forest everywhere else is worth a shot. State forest is cut pretty well too

nidaho

FNG
If you do come up north be sure of bear identification. The inland paper pay to access is in unit 2 i think. I would expect a lot of four wheelers there. There isn’t any company ground in unit 1 that is pay to access. I second getting a property ownership for your phone.

Pretty much all of the Stimson land is covered under the Large Tracts access program so no fees. Onx is pretty accurate with their "ID Possible Access" layer. IDFG Hunt planner map has the full details of land in the program so easy to compare the two.

OP
I
Good call with the North Idaho research and hunt planning. If it wasn't so darn far up there for those that live down south, I'd be all over it. They shoot heaps of bears and wolves in the Panhandle. North Idaho is special country, always enjoyed my time spent up there.

Pretty much all of the Stimson land is covered under the Large Tracts access program so no fees. Onx is pretty accurate with their "ID Possible Access" layer. IDFG Hunt planner map has the full details of land in the program so easy to compare the two.

You know what, you’re right. I forgot Stimson was part of the whole “Access Yes” deal. More and more folks are getting on board with that; it’s great!

Oh, an important follow-up point. Many nonresidents want to combo scouting and spring bear. It's mostly useless. You could drive the roads and get a brief look at the country but fall deer and elk hunting is a totally different deal than spring bear. You'll see zero elk or 500 elk during spring bear season depending on where you go and it will have basically zero correlation to fall.

Hunt in the spring where there's good bear hunting. Hunt in the fall where there's good deer and elk hunting. If you want to scout, do it after the 4th of July. You should know this unless you're a rookie.

This is great advice, and thank you. We're still planning on doing the spring bear hunt as a mule deer scouting trip for the fall. Less because of looking for game and more to just see the country before its actually game time. I think there is value in simply knowing that we're able to cover the amount of land that we think we can on google earth. We've never hunting out west, let alone Idaho public land, and it's pretty intimidating... as it should be. We're hoping to pack into the Gospel Hump in mid-May and camp for a week. My main concern right now is snow and even being able to get my F150 to the trailhead. Should we expect the roads to be passable by mid-May? Thanks!

sneaky

"DADDY"
This is great advice, and thank you. We're still planning on doing the spring bear hunt as a mule deer scouting trip for the fall. Less because of looking for game and more to just see the country before its actually game time. I think there is value in simply knowing that we're able to cover the amount of land that we think we can on google earth. We've never hunting out west, let alone Idaho public land, and it's pretty intimidating... as it should be. We're hoping to pack into the Gospel Hump in mid-May and camp for a week. My main concern right now is snow and even being able to get my F150 to the trailhead. Should we expect the roads to be passable by mid-May? Thanks!
That's going to be a crap shoot. You need to have some backup plans in place in case of blocked roads, or bring snowshoes and get strong lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
I

A big nope. You can access the low part. I’d prefer not to name road names. The lower elevation areas are more winter range than hunting season haunts in general.

That's going to be a crap shoot. You need to have some backup plans in place in case of blocked roads, or bring snowshoes and get strong lol

Thank you... we're now considering the second week of June, based on your feedback. Appreciate it.

That’s downright optimistic. 7,000 feet in May takes some nerve (and likely shoveling).

Gotcha, sounds like we should try waiting until the 1st or 2nd week of June if we can. Thanks a ton for the feedback... its a hell of a long drive!

OP
I
Gotcha, sounds like we should try waiting until the 1st or 2nd week of June if we can. Thanks a ton for the feedback... its a hell of a long drive!

In general the recommendation from most locals and bios I know is to find an accessible place in May rather than push into June in high country. You’ll be dealing with 20x more country once everything is green in the high country and you’re getting somewhat of the needle in a haystack effect.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, I have to agree with hikker on this one. The more country that greens up the more places they can be. It's BIG country, anything that can tip the odds in your favor is preferred.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Any particular reason why you settled on Gospel Hump?