Idaho Spring Bear

14idaho

FNG
I'm from Wisconsin with the same idea. I'm new to this forum so I haven't figured out how to contact members, but if you want to carpool out there, let me know. Maybe we can work together.

I am wondering what specifically the "reduced" price tags listed here refer to, tags in addition to the regular priced tag or is it two tags at the reduced rate of $41.75 and you don't need to purchase the regularly priced tag?

Also, why are they reduced? Are there fewer bear in those areas, or too many?

specifically it mentions in this paragraph:

Resident Second Tags and Nonresident Discounted Tags Residents may purchase a second black bear tag, and Nonresidents may purchase two (2) reduced-price black bear tags for Units 4, 4A, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 16A, 17, 19, 20, 20A, 26, 27, that portion of Unit 16 north of the Selway River, and those portions of Units 21 and 28 within designated wilderness at the discounted price of $41.75; or a nonresident may purchase one (1) full priced bear tag ($186.00) to hunt black bear anywhere outside the areas listed above and one (1) reduced priced bear tag valid in areas listed above.
They tags are reduced because the elk herds are in trouble and bears kill calves. Now you have the wolves, another predator after the elk. I always told my elk hunters to get a bear tag and about 50 percent of them killed bears. There just isn't a lot of hunting pressure on the bears.

14idaho

FNG
Newbie here looking to either hunt Montona or Idaho. Im looking for the best oppertunity to harvest a bear. I will be going on the hunt with my dad we have no prior backcountry experience. My dad is up there in age and honestly dont think he has it in him to hike 2-3 in. Im looking for a good area and the best oppertunity to harvest a nice bear.
There are some areas in Northern Idaho that you could drive and spot.

ericwh

WKR
Worried this year is going to be a mad house since lots of peoples hunt got cancelled last year (myself included). Anyone else thinking the same thing?

archp625

WKR
Worried this year is going to be a mad house since lots of peoples hunt got cancelled last year (myself included). Anyone else thinking the same thing?
I hope not. A lot of people talked about the crowds where they went hunting last year. The places I went in Montana had no one. I saw two other groups of hunters. One was in a truck just driving around hoping to spot something.

skierhs

WKR
I think it’s going to be a mad house. This past fall I had hunters all around me in areas that normally I don’t see anyone in. Especially if the border stays closed in to Canada.

I hope not. A lot of people talked about the crowds where they went hunting last year. The places I went in Montana had no one. I saw two other groups of hunters. One was in a truck just driving around hoping to spot something.

That’s how my Montana hunt went. Nobody out off the two track but me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry too much. There are guys that are serious, and others that just get on forums. Most don't have it in them to drive to explore new areas at the cost of "Too much time or too far". You see all these posts from guys who live within a days drive from a bear spot asking how it might be.......... A days drive!

atorres

FNG
Hey y'all, I spent this morning skimming this whole thread back to the start. I'm 18 and me and a buddy are gonna do spring bear this June. I'm trying to discern what area of the state to go to, not specific drainages yet. It seems like the panhandle stuff tends to be thicker and you're gonna have a harder time doing spot and stalk, but in June when there's not so much snow, maybe this would be helpful as it would concentrate the bears more in the broken stuff?

Should I be looking in 10A, 17, 4, 6? Or should I probably start with more of the McCall stuff?

Just got started really digging so naturally I'm kinda overwhelmed with the information. Any clarity would be appreciated.

14idaho

FNG
In unit 4 and 6 you don't have a ton of open county. Find gated logging roads that grass is growing on and you'll find bears. There are some clear cuts, check with the forest service and fish and game and they will lead you on the right direction. Drainages where elk calve will always hold bears. Make sure you can tell the difference between grizzly and black bears. The brown phase is quite common so be careful. We camped in grizzly country for years and never had any problems with them even though we saw them occasionally. If you decide on unit 4 or 6 let me know, I can give you some specific drainages to hunt.

atorres

FNG
In unit 4 and 6 you don't have a ton of open county. Find gated logging roads that grass is growing on and you'll find bears. There are some clear cuts, check with the forest service and fish and game and they will lead you on the right direction. Drainages where elk calve will always hold bears. Make sure you can tell the difference between grizzly and black bears. The brown phase is quite common so be careful. We camped in grizzly country for years and never had any problems with them even though we saw them occasionally. If you decide on unit 4 or 6 let me know, I can give you some specific drainages to hunt.
I sure appreciate that. Kinda what I'm trying to figure out is where to start though, like maybe I should start my detailed research with a more open unit. Not sure what to think.

I don't like the idea of walking roads nearly so much as glassing an opposite ridge a mile and a half away.

atorres

FNG
I would appreciate it if you could go head and send me a pm though. I could look at the drainages and see how open they look on the map, I am curious

CodyE

FNG
Hey all,
I have a trip planned for the last week of May for a bear hunt in some of the hells canyon units. Looking at 11 or 18. Being a nonresident I am not familiar with these areas too well. I'm just looking for some advice on a starting point of where to begin our hunt so I can really start to look over a particular area. Also, when it comes to camping, should I be expecting to pitch a tent right beside my truck or will I need to pack camp in a few miles to access good bear country? I'm able to do either option I just am clueless now because I'm unsure how accessible some of these roads will be to a truck because i've not seen the country yet.

I just wanted to ask for your all's opinion before I called fish and game to ask them. I appreciate any information ya'll have!

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
This may be a long shot but I'm going to ask anyway.

I would love to take a trip out to Boise with my fiancé around Memorial Day and add in a 2-3 day bear hunt onto the end of the trip.

Don't mind, if it were a backpacking trip or a combination of day trips. Does this sound even remotely possible? I am very unfamiliar with Idaho. I am assuming that places closer to Boise are hit much harder than other areas.

Bärenjäger

Lil-Rokslider

I would love to take a trip out to Boise with my fiancé around Memorial Day and add in a 2-3 day bear hunt onto the end of the trip.

Don't mind, if it were a backpacking trip or a combination of day trips. Does this sound even remotely possible? I am very unfamiliar with Idaho. I am assuming that places closer to Boise are hit much harder than other areas.
You 100% will not get a bear if you don't try. Longshot, or not. If fiance is cool with it, just do it. Not connecting doesn't = failure.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

mylsuhat

Lil-Rokslider
You 100% will not get a bear if you don't try. Longshot, or not. If fiance is cool with it, just do it. Not connecting doesn't = failure.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
tenor.gif

P Carter

WKR

There are a lot of spots within striking distance of Boise that could produce. 2-3 days and no scouting is short, but doable. Shoot me a pm, not giving away any specific spots but I can get you started.

bdg848

WKR
There are a lot of spots within striking distance of Boise that could produce. 2-3 days and no scouting is short, but doable. Shoot me a pm, not giving away any specific spots but I can get you started.
2-3 days being "short but doable" is very encouraging. I hope to get it done with five! I cannot wait for spring! Even if I don't get one, getting out in the mountains during spring is going to be gorgeous.

Anyone have experience on the salmon river with spring bear in unit 19/19A? Looking to go deep and get Pooh bears daddy