Idaho Spring Bear

atorres

FNG
Low bear density, very limited access without a jet boat.
Where would you look for better density, combined with good open country for glassing? I've been thinking about 24, 25, 26 also. I know the best density is in the panhandle but I don't want to hunt where it's quite so thick.

atorres

FNG
Massive country. Very spread out. So if you happen to see something, Goodluck. And then low density.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Ok, so what about 24, 25, 26, 27? Those any better?

I know the panhandle has all the bears but I don't want to hunt the thick shit. I want it open enough to easily glass.

Well just booked some airfare out to Sun Valley for a week. April 28-May 5th. I have a cousin who lives there and just got in to hunting this year so figure why not start him out on a bear adventure. Anyways I am an east coaster and have no experience out west. I was lucky to take a bear in PA this year and would love to help my cousin get on one out there.

From sun valley it looks like the better units would be 33 and 39. It being early in the season I know the odds are a little worse and the weather will play a big part in success. Is there some general elevation levels we should aim for that early in the season? I would imagine an ID bear is like any bear really and finding a good food source is going to put us where they are. What food sources do they tend to utilize in that early part just after coming out of the den? Thanks for any inout or suggestions. Super excited for this trip and look forward to experiencing some awesome country!

P Carter

WKR
Ok, so what about 24, 25, 26, 27? Those any better?

I know the panhandle has all the bears but I don't want to hunt the thick shit. I want it open enough to easily glass.
Let me do you a favor. You’ve gotten a ton of good info on these threads. Everything but a specific drainage. Pick a unit and so some e-scouting and find some spots per the info given. There are bears in all units, and vast areas without bears in each unit. Pick a unit based on the good info you’ve gotten — any of them — and get some spots picked out. Or, heck, idaho is a general tag, so pick a bunch of spots without regard to unit.

P Carter

WKR
Well just booked some airfare out to Sun Valley for a week. April 28-May 5th. I have a cousin who lives there and just got in to hunting this year so figure why not start him out on a bear adventure. Anyways I am an east coaster and have no experience out west. I was lucky to take a bear in PA this year and would love to help my cousin get on one out there.

From sun valley it looks like the better units would be 33 and 39. It being early in the season I know the odds are a little worse and the weather will play a big part in success. Is there some general elevation levels we should aim for that early in the season? I would imagine an ID bear is like any bear really and finding a good food source is going to put us where they are. What food sources do they tend to utilize in that early part just after coming out of the den? Thanks for any inout or suggestions. Super excited for this trip and look forward to experiencing some awesome country!
Look at the snow levels closer to the trip and plan to hit the 1,000ish feet below snow line.

atorres

FNG
Let me do you a favor. You’ve gotten a ton of good info on these threads. Everything but a specific drainage. Pick a unit and so some e-scouting and find some spots per the info given. There are bears in all units, and vast areas without bears in each unit. Pick a unit based on the good info you’ve gotten — any of them — and get some spots picked out. Or, heck, idaho is a general tag, so pick a bunch of spots without regard to unit.
The reason I'm continuing to ask questions is that both 19 and 19A were on my list up until this afternoon when those two folks directed me to do otherwise. I totally get that there ain't no magic bullet. I'm just trying to make sure I don't pick a unit that's gonna give me a disadvantage because of too much timber, too much baiting, etc.

Thanks for the advice though. Useful to remember that what counts is the work, not the coordinates.

Spoonbill

WKR

Why not fly into boise if that is where you are planning to hunt? It is a couple hours closer and ticket prices aren’t insane.
Another option is hunting in the units surounding Ketchum. To put it in perspective, you would be driving a few hundred miles through country that holds bears, to get to a “better” unit. Plenty of bears around there and you can hit different areas depending on the snow line.

Spoonbill

WKR
The reason I'm continuing to ask questions is that both 19 and 19A were on my list up until this afternoon when those two folks directed me to do otherwise. I totally get that there ain't no magic bullet. I'm just trying to make sure I don't pick a unit that's gonna give me a disadvantage because of too much timber, too much baiting, etc.

Thanks for the advice though. Useful to remember that what counts is the work, not the coordinates.
If you keep worrying about the perfect unit, no matter what unit you pick ultimately you have in the back of your mind that you picked wrong. It is a natural thing to do. My advice is to pick a spot and go. Focus on having fun rather than if you picked the best unit based on what you learned off a hunting forum.

CptBlkBrd

FNG
This thread is full of great info. My FIL and I are both looking into our first first spring bear hunt this year. Lucky for us, he is a pilot and we have access to a super cub for back country use.

atorres

FNG
If you keep worrying about the perfect unit, no matter what unit you pick ultimately you have in the back of your mind that you picked wrong. It is a natural thing to do. My advice is to pick a spot and go. Focus on having fun rather than if you picked the best unit based on what you learned off a hunting forum.
Yep. Appreciate the reminder

CodyE

FNG
I've been stressing over making sure I picked the perfect unit for my trip this spring but i'm glad a few of you all have posted the last few days that that their is no "perfect unit" and you just got to go and hunt it out! Ill be driving from Eastern Kentucky mid-may after my graduation to hunt the area between 95 and the snake. Going to e-scout and find a promising looking main drainage and pick it apart till the end of May.

Why not fly into boise if that is where you are planning to hunt? It is a couple hours closer and ticket prices aren’t insane.
Another option is hunting in the units surounding Ketchum. To put it in perspective, you would be driving a few hundred miles through country that holds bears, to get to a “better” unit. Plenty of bears around there and you can hit different areas depending on the snow line.
Flew to Sun Valley due to an awesome airfare deal of under $200 and my cousin lives there so no vehicle rental or anything needed. I will take a look at the units around Ketchum and see how the winter weather stacks up this year.

Spoonbill

WKR
Flew to Sun Valley due to an awesome airfare deal of under $200 and my cousin lives there so no vehicle rental or anything needed. I will take a look at the units around Ketchum and see how the winter weather stacks up this year.
That’s an insanely cheap ticket for sun valley, I guess covid has some benefits. PM me if you have any questions, I’ve spent a fair amount of time in that area.

sneaky

"DADDY"
This thread is full of great info. My FIL and I are both looking into our first first spring bear hunt this year. Lucky for us, he is a pilot and we have access to a super cub for back country use.
Does he have backcountry flying experience? A Super Cub doesn't make someone a backcountry pilot. That's not the country to learn in. The Frank gives the test first, then teaches the lesson.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Unless we get some big late storms, there isn't a lot of snow on the ground right now, especially on that side.

CptBlkBrd

FNG
Does he have backcountry flying experience? A Super Cub doesn't make someone a backcountry pilot. That's not the country to learn in. The Frank gives the test first, then teaches the lesson.

I agree 100%. We are set

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

That’s an insanely cheap ticket for sun valley, I guess covid has some benefits. PM me if you have any questions, I’ve spent a fair amount of time in that area.

39 has high bear harvest numbers because it’s in the backyard of 50+% of Idaho’s residents and it’s a big unit. I live in the valley and I’m starting to look elsewhere just because I can’t stand the crowds up there anymore. 33 is the next open unit up the highway from the valley. I’m like 99% convinced that the low(er) harvest numbers across much of the state has much more to do with lack of hunting effort than with lack of bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk