Idaho Spring Bear

Non-resident newbie here looking at an early-mid may bear hunt in river of no return wilderness. One of my main concerns is access. A lot of the areas that I have been looking at have dirt road to trailhead access but require about 10-30 miles on a dirt road. Weather and the road conditions are heavy on my mind as I would be driving almost 18 hours to get into bear country. Any advise or areas to avoid would be greatly appreciated.

Non-resident newbie here looking at an early-mid may bear hunt in river of no return wilderness. One of my main concerns is access. A lot of the areas that I have been looking at have dirt road to trailhead access but require about 10-30 miles on a dirt road. Weather and the road conditions are heavy on my mind as I would be driving almost 18 hours to get into bear country. Any advise or areas to avoid would be greatly appreciated.
What elevations are you looking at?

Take a look here: https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/porta...elativeDate=-1&lat=50.23&lon=-119.97&zoom=4.0

I think your access in to the RNRW by vehicle is going to be extremely limited at that time frame.

P Carter

WKR
A
I think your access in to the RNRW by vehicle is going to be extremely limited at that time frame.
Agreed, it’s be a big gamble. I’d get on the horn with the forest service stations nearby and hope they give you good info. All it takes is one big drift to ruin your day...

Was on the US12 corridor yesterday. Lots of snow down to 3,000k feet in the shade, all unplowed roads above that are either impassable, gates closed, or both.

CBar

FNG
Hi all - headed out with a buddy from WY to unit 33 for the bear and turkey opener. We've had a good season for birds here so far with one unit opening April 1 and the rest slated for the 20th.
Just tagging along, anyone from around Crouch ID or hunted that unit recently willing to help out? PMs appreciated. We're much more experienced chasing birds in the spring than bears. Much appreciated have a great Spring everyone.

CBar

FNG
Yep no doubt they like the easy life on AG fields and backyards. But as long as public borders those private zones and you can take their temp birds are always willing to make a move for love or war!

Elkster12

FNG
Was on the US12 corridor yesterday. Lots of snow down to 3,000k feet in the shade, all unplowed roads above that are either impassable, gates closed, or both.
Obviously lots of weather can happen in the next five weeks, but generally are most roads heading north off the US12 into GMU12 free enough of snow to be driveable in a 4x4 Jeep Cherokee by the last week of May?

Obviously lots of weather can happen in the next five weeks, but generally are most roads heading north off the US12 into GMU12 free enough of snow to be driveable in a 4x4 Jeep Cherokee by the last week of May?
Usually I would say yes. Usually the big changes in snow happen the last week of may, first week of june. Probably open enough to get around. We are generally between the lodge and the pass though, so down lower would probably be open sooner.

Elkster12

FNG
Usually I would say yes. Usually the big changes in snow happen the last week of may, first week of june. Probably open enough to get around. We are generally between the lodge and the pass though, so down lower would probably be open sooner.
Thanks! Unit 27 is my back up plan and I have no issues turning round to head south to lower elevations if necessary. Time for some spring predator control and freezer filling!

DIY Lifer

FNG
I could use any information on a unit that might be good to try out for a first time spring bear hunter in ID. My friend and I are going and are both avid backpack hunters. Never hunted black bear and never hunted in ID. We are going for the full 2nd or 3rd week of may. We do not mind long distances or rugged terrain.
We are looking at the 7th through the 16 of May this year. Is that too early for Salmon above 5k ft in ele?

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
gotta hand it to you roksliders. Been a watcher of this forum for 5+ years and just recently made an account. but I am headed to idaho june 9-18th and going be somewhere between unit 10/10a/12/17 as well. First serious back country trip and excited to just see the landscape. Appreciate any tips/advice/gear and whatever else yall feel like isnt included in this forum. We have a few spots already pinned for interest but as the common dominator is snow levels and green grass. cant wait see what goes on here in the next two months. good luck to everyone hunting it now!

280Ackley

WKR
gotta hand it to you roksliders. Been a watcher of this forum for 5+ years and just recently made an account. but I am headed to idaho june 9-18th and going be somewhere between unit 10/10a/12/17 as well. First serious back country trip and excited to just see the landscape. Appreciate any tips/advice/gear and whatever else yall feel like isnt included in this forum. We have a few spots already pinned for interest but as the common dominator is snow levels and green grass. cant wait see what goes on here in the next two months. good luck to everyone hunting it now!
10A would be closed then so I wouldn’t hunt there!