Idaho spring bear

tboed

FNG
Planning 2022 spring bear hunt in Idaho for mid to late May. It will be my first spring bear hunt in the west. Any tips on e scouting? What elevations should I be focusing on for that time of year?

3000-6000 depending on where, when you go and weather. Go too early and see nothing. Go too late and bears are spread out everywhere. Most people don’t get a bear fist year. They are Gypsys. Hunt burns and clear cuts. Find fresh sign and hunt that area. That’s it. Be in the “bear zone.” Don’t overthink it. Good luck. Again, don’t over think it. Pm me if ya want.

mhabiger

FNG
I did my second spring bear hunt the end of May beginning of June this year and it was the start of the heat wave. Snow was melted almost up to 7k and there was no shortage of green grass. I spent the first two days glassing big canyons and didnt see squat for bear. It sure looked like it'd be good when I was escouting though. Then started ground pounding trails around me and found old sign. So I started moving. That may or may not have been a mistake since it led to fishing instead it hunting. But hey, it was hot!

I had two days to hunt this fall after filling my deer and elk tags and just pounded trails. It rained day before and I finally cut some fresh tracks the 2nd and last day before heading out.

In the Spring I feel like I went a little too late, so food wasnt concentrated and I spent too much time behind the glass initially. Next year I'll try and time the snow melt better and hit the trails and find sign before hitting the glass. So I'd echo Bearhugger's words.

N.ID7803

WKR
Idaho springs can be a crap shoot weather/snow condition wise. I would suggest being flexible on dates and check back when spring nears to asses conditions.

Otzi08

FNG
Went memorial weekend 3.5 years ago and that was too early for the elevation we were hunting. We were hunting around Pierce, ID at 5000’ and only bear sign we found was around 3000’. Like the other guys have said. Put on the miles and get on fresh sign.

3000-6000 depending on where, when you go and weather. Go too early and see nothing. Go too late and bears are spread out everywhere. Most people don’t get a bear fist year. They are Gypsys. Hunt burns and clear cuts. Find fresh sign and hunt that area. That’s it. Be in the “bear zone.” Don’t overthink it. Good luck. Again, don’t over think it. Pm me if ya want.
I have a few areas I’ll be heading to the second week of may this year I’d love to ask your opinion on…