Idaho spring spot and stalk

DanTesta

FNG
Hi all,

I am in the beginning of planning a spring spot and stalk hunt next year first my first western hunt. I am looking to hunt the first week of June and am looking for a little advice on what units I may want to start looking into. We are looking at a backpack hunt to stay in the backcountry to get away from the crowds but just not sure being that it is my first time out what areas might be good. Also, from what I have seen the reduced units seem to be pretty thick but does anyone know of any that may have opportunities for spot and stalk?

I appreciate any advice and have already started digging into onX and realizing how much area there is to cover.

kiddogy

WKR
crowds probly won't be a huge problem beginning of june . snow in the high country could be.
in the spring, focus on the south facing grassy hillsides . bears like to eat the grass to get their stomachs going after the big sleep.

Jpeezer

FNG
For backpack hunting you could look into the Hell's Canyon or Salmon River areas. Lots of springs greening up the grass.

These are more arid areas, rather than high mountains, though you'll certainly climb/descend s ton.

jdmaxwell

WKR
Utilize Idaho Fish and Game site to begin your homework. It will tell you what units you can hunt at that time period. And use mapping program to pick a spot and go hunt it.
That is what we are doing and will be in back country 1st week June. Never been. Just do your homework.

You might want to check out my post on Idaho spring black bear. It covers some of this.

I'd do your research on areas with at least decent bear populations and review the harvest stats.

If you don't want to be around a lot of people, I'd avoid 39 and 43 which can be kind of a zoo.

Wassid82

WKR
To insure that you are hunting an area that has been snowless long enough for bears to be out moving around long enough to have good numbers I would focus on the snake river by Brownlee, Oxbow, Hells canyon. Its rugged country but its open and you can spot from distance. Wherever you decide I would make it lower elevation so that you have good dry access.