Idaho Super Deer Tag

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here’s my bull, hunted very hard, passed on some bulls that may have been a little bit better but were broken pretty bad. Had a great time and made some new friends, thoroughly enjoyed this elk hunt!

Heck ya!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Super tag

Super tag

WKR
Still after it, have 10 more days, have seen many, many nice bucks, I couldn’t even count the number of 170”-180” bucks I’ve seen. I’ve hunted some really cool areas I will likely never be able to hunt again, I’m actually kind of numb to seeing large deer, crazy I know, I’m looking for a giant and if I don’t find him I’ll probably eat the tag. By giant I mean 220 plus.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Thanks for the update and best of luck the remainder of the season! Please take lots of pics and look forward to seeing how your hunt plays out. Hope you find the buck you’re after!

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Great bull and good luck on the buck! Also it’s always appreciated that you came back to close the loop.

OP
Super tag

Super tag

WKR
thanks for all the participation in the thread and the support!

I hope you don't let tag go unfilled just b/c you don't see 220 +... Like you said you may never be able to hunt those places again. A 200" Should tickIe your fancy just fine! I imagine a hunt like that could be a grind, so may days of hunting... But count your lucky stars and show us an old gnarly giant! Best of luck to you.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Saw this thread was updated and was HOPING there was gonna be a picture of a giant!

Keep hunting hard! Can’t wait to read all about the hunt.

OP
Super tag

Super tag

WKR
Lol your right! The grind! Daylight savings really added to it. Honestly as crazy as it sounds, I’m satisfied, I did see one true giant last week, he took five steps into the sagebrush which is 6’ or taller and disappeared, I glassed for about an hour and caught his white face staring at me about 100 yard from where I first saw him, then he just disappeared and I was not able to find him again, even with the does, they all busted out, he didn’t leave the deep Sage, smart buck!

OP
Super tag

Super tag

WKR
Well, so believe it or not, I ate the deer tag BUT- it wasn’t for the lack of opportunity it was because I didn’t find the deer I wanted. I saw ALOT of very nice deer, but I didn’t want to kill another trophy buck just to kill it. Also, we have no weather to speak of, very little snow, just a really unusual winter so far and that didn’t help.

I was looking for something really special, that’s the goal I set when this all started. I did see 2 bucks in that category but it didn’t work out, one saw us well before we saw him, after an hour of sneaking in, he was too smart for us, I estimate him at 230” plus 5x6 with 30”-40” of extras and trash, super duper mass, just a sweet buck, when I saw him he was already on the trot at 780 yards, never saw him again, but at least I saw him and got to watch him. The other I played cat and mouse with for a bit and he disappeared in the deep sage, I’m sure he was at least 230” as well, just a massive, wide non-typical buck.

What I did take away from this tag is I hunted 7 special units that I probably won’t ever be able to hunt again, and saw at least 120 really nice bucks over 160ish and shared all that with my boys. I saw 30 bucks at 170” to 190” in one unit alone in 3 days! I saw 12- 4 points in another unit in 10 hours!

I had the most incredible year I’ll ever experience. For me there is a lot more to hunting than just the kill. I ended this completely satisfied and will always know I could have taken more than a handful of really awesome deer, but hey, if you settle for those you’ll never take the big one, I’ve learned that long ago. It takes discipline, and it’s not easy 🙂

I really enjoyed all the interest and support from all of you. Next year can’t come soon enough!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well, so believe it or not, I ate the deer tag BUT- it wasn’t for the lack of opportunity it was because I didn’t find the deer I wanted. I saw ALOT of very nice deer, but I didn’t want to kill another trophy buck just to kill it. Also, we have no weather to speak of, very little snow, just a really unusual winter so far and that didn’t help.

I was looking for something really special, that’s the goal I set when this all started. I did see 2 bucks in that category but it didn’t work out, one saw us well before we saw him, after an hour of sneaking in, he was too smart for us, I estimate him at 230” plus 5x6 with 30”-40” of extras and trash, super duper mass, just a sweet buck, when I saw him he was already on the trot at 780 yards, never saw him again, but at least I saw him and got to watch him. The other I played cat and mouse with for a bit and he disappeared in the deep sage, I’m sure he was at least 230” as well, just a massive, wide non-typical buck.

What I did take away from this tag is I hunted 7 special units that I probably won’t ever be able to hunt again, and saw at least 120 really nice bucks over 160ish and shared all that with my boys. I saw 30 bucks at 170” to 190” in one unit alone in 3 days! I saw 12- 4 points in another unit in 10 hours!

I had the most incredible year I’ll ever experience. For me there is a lot more to hunting than just the kill. I ended this completely satisfied and will always know I could have taken more than a handful of really awesome deer, but hey, if you settle for those you’ll never take the big one, I’ve learned that long ago. It takes discipline, and it’s not easy

I really enjoyed all the interest and support from all of you. Next year can’t come soon enough!

my hat is off to you for sticking to your goals. congratulations on a great hunt. Nothing to be ashamed of there. What a blast! Thanks for taking us along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
I gotta say, I respect the hell out of ya for having a goal and sticking with it and not just shooting a buck to shoot one. I know I wouldn't have had that self control, but I also don't have any giants to my name yet. Hopefully you got pictures of some of the bucks you did see to share!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Fantastic!!!!! Sounds like you made incredible memories and saw a couple of GIANTS! Great hunt, especially with your boys. Thanks for the follow up.

ColoradoV

WKR
Stand up job not shooting a small buck.

Few folks have the salt to pass on 190”-200”.. Heck most guys “holding out for 180” end plugging a 160” dink the first time the see one.

Sounds like you had a successful hunt congratulations!