Idaho Taxidermists (Velvet Mule Deer)

Hey all I will be going on an early archery mule deer hunt this year (August 15-30) in Idaho. I have never harvested any deer in the velvet before I have been doing research on how to preserve the velvet and cape the hide in the field. If am successful in killing a mature buck I plan to have it mounted as it will be my first archery mule deer. I am looking for recommendations on taxidermists in Idaho or near Idaho that do an above average job on shoulder mounts particularly velvet antlered mounts. I live in North Idaho just outside of Lewiston and I know there are local taxidermy shops around here but I am not overwhelmed with the quality of their work nor, do they have much experience mounting velvet mule deer as far as I can tell feel free to correct me if I am wrong. This will be my first time having a shoulder mount done I have always been partial to Euro mounts but that is difficult to do with velvet and I am not sure I like the look.

Thanks!

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all I will be going on an early archery mule deer hunt this year (August 15-30) in Idaho. I have never harvested any deer in the velvet before I have been doing research on how to preserve the velvet and cape the hide in the field. If am successful in killing a mature buck I plan to have it mounted as it will be my first archery mule deer. I am looking for recommendations on taxidermists in Idaho or near Idaho that do an above average job on shoulder mounts particularly velvet antlered mounts. I live in North Idaho just outside of Lewiston and I know there are local taxidermy shops around here but I am not overwhelmed with the quality of their work nor, do they have much experience mounting velvet mule deer as far as I can tell feel free to correct me if I am wrong. This will be my first time having a shoulder mount done I have always been partial to Euro mounts but that is difficult to do with velvet and I am not sure I like the look.

Thanks!
Jeff at intmountain taxidermy in Twin Fslls does pretty good. He is also meets at wierd hours.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

kcormack

Lil-Rokslider
Terry Bennett, Bennett Taxidermy in Nampa 208-461-3155. Before and after pics attached of Terry's work. Excellent taxidermist and great guy. That is original equipment Velvet not the fake stuff.DSC01359.JPG20190727_130911.jpg

Terry Bennett, Bennett Taxidermy in Nampa 208-461-3155. Before and after pics attached of Terry's work. Excellent taxidermist and great guy. That is original equipment Velvet not the fake stuff.

That's a nice looking mount. I'm digging the base as well. Is that something you made or the taxidermist?

kcormack

Lil-Rokslider
I supplied the fence board, explained to Terry what I was looking for in the design/style of the pedestal. He got a woodworking friend to put it together and I got a very cool pedestal. The cribbed and weathered boards on top really give it a great look.

OP
Eastman528
Eastman's had a good video on how to inject the velvet to preserve it.
If you can get your hands on the juice.

Thanks I did watch this video along with several others I’ll be getting some antler in velvet tan from Van Dyke’s.

GregB

WKR
Imperial Taxidermy in Caldwell has always done good work for me, and and a buddy of mine. They even fixed an elk mount I broke and didn't charge me anything. Since you live up north, I live in Caldwell so if you needed a hand picking up or dropping off in the valley I'd be happy to help.