Idaho Tex Creek Zone

BearDog22

FNG
I hunted Tex Creek last year. south fork bear creek area and behind little elk mountain. We saw deer,moose,and bear, but no elk. I will be hunting 66/69 again next month and would love to hear some feedback from @Chase_D If possible.....
The overwhelming majority of hunters in that zone were road hunters cruising in atv's and SxS . I came across 3 groups after getting a mile off the roads. A father daughter on horseback, a solo hunter on a loud ass dirtbike, and an outfitter bringing their pack train down off the mountain. (All unsuccessful) A local hunter I spoke with said it is a difficult unit to hunt especially after the shooting festival during opening week.

@Deplorable77 arent most of the roads/trails in unit 66 limited to dirt bikes, horses, and foot travel? Besides the roads you are allowed to drive your truck down. That was my impression from OnX maps anyways was hoping to be able to get away from atvs and sxs

Correct,most the trails are supposed to be limited to dirt bikes, horses, and foot traffic .
I was referring to the FS roads that run through the unit

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
I was scouting there in June and all single tracks and most foot trails I came across had 2 sets of tires on em. Was pretty disappointed.

That zone is part of the motorized hunting rule units, so you can only have motorcycles on roads that are open to travel by full size automobiles. You can only use them on other trails when packing in a camp or retrieving game.

The key words in the regulation are “if such travel is allowed by the land owner or manager”. So even if you used a motorcycle to pack in camp or retrieve game, you could still only use them on trails open to motorcycles during the months the motorized rule is not in effect. You can’t just take them willy nilly wherever you want.

I just wanted to clarify that. It’s a confusing rule and I don’t want someone getting popped for it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You have to keep in mind, those restrictions are targeted towards big game hunters. Grouse hunters, dirt bike riders, etc are free to use any roads or trails open for their particular vehicle type. Grouse hunters especially, hunt from their 4 wheelers a LOT.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
I made sure to do plenty of asking about the rule. I even started a thread in the forums here, Idaho Motorized Rule or something along those lines. Guys had alot of great input. Where I was disappointed was yes the hunting rule only applies to big game but regardless of season or game, single track is single track and hiking is non-moto. And to see 4 wheels on all those trails was frustrating. I took pictures from trailheads with the sign right there, open to bike hike and horses only... 2 ruts running right by it. Got a new phone and don’t have the pics but it was multiple spots.

ttltown

WKR
GunandBowSD what area of the unit were u in that u saw this? I hunted the unit last year archery and didn’t see any ATVs whatsoever except on main roads. I also didn’t really see any hunters in the field...just on roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I should clarify I did not see, in person, anybody riding these trails. But fresh tire tracks. And a SxS on every major road. Without revealing to much, I was to the Eastern side of the unit, where having wheels would be very nice. Hopefully it was just summer folks out, not following rules, and that same attitude wont spill into hunting season. First year in this unit, so we will see here soon huh?

Woo! It’s almost hunting season

Chase_D

FNG
I hunted Tex Creek last year. south fork bear creek area and behind little elk mountain. We saw deer,moose,and bear, but no elk. I will be hunting 66/69 again next month and would love to hear some feedback from @Chase_D If possible.....
The overwhelming majority of hunters in that zone were road hunters cruising in atv's and SxS . I came across 3 groups after getting a mile off the roads. A father daughter on horseback, a solo hunter on a loud ass dirtbike, and an outfitter bringing their pack train down off the mountain. (All unsuccessful) A local hunter I spoke with said it is a difficult unit to hunt especially after the shooting festival during opening week.
Sorry, I’m over a year late to this. In 66 I did find elk and mule deer. There were hindered of people recreating in the area so we got as far away from any roads as we could. We bugled an elk into 35 yards and heard plenty of other bugles. I plan on hunting the Diamond Creek zone in 2021, Archery of course. If anyone needs more info on 66 let me know and I’ll be as helpful as I can be.

Sorry, I’m over a year late to this. In 66 I did find elk and mule deer. There were hindered of people recreating in the area so we got as far away from any roads as we could. We bugled an elk into 35 yards and heard plenty of other bugles. I plan on hunting the Diamond Creek zone in 2021, Archery of course. If anyone needs more info on 66 let me know and I’ll be as helpful as I can be.
Chase,
I'd be very interested for any information you can give me on 66, planning the general rifle in 2021 with several friends.

Totally unfamiliar with the area, if you can give general location recommendations, we're planning to be working the area and do some good backpacking in.

Chase,
I'd be very interested for any information you can give me on 66, planning the general rifle in 2021 with several friends.

Totally unfamiliar with the area, if you can give general location recommendations, we're planning to be working the area and do some good backpacking in.
Maybe if you ask nicely, he will just join ya and walk you right to the elk and tell them to hold still too. Make sure you bring a lot of food and water, hiking past the other 5000 people who read where to go on the internet can be awfully exhausting.

Chase_D

FNG
Second person in less than a week, without asking directly, looking for ‘where to start’. Get onX, use the filter to find the most remote, inaccessible areas of the unit. That’s what I did and was able to find them.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
This could have been another troll post. He joined, posted his only post a few minutes later, hung around for less than an hour, and hasn't been seen since.

To the OP - if your post was sincere, you aren't the first (and won't be the last) person to ask that question. Use the search feature to learn first before posting, but just know that you will be very unlikely to get an answer that is more helpful than what is posted above. There's always a chance someone will be very charitable and send you a PM, but pretty unlikely for a first/single post.

This could have been another troll post. He joined, posted his only post a few minutes later, hung around for less than an hour, and hasn't been seen since.

To the OP - if your post was sincere, you aren't the first (and won't be the last) person to ask that question. Use the search feature to learn first before posting, but just know that you will be very unlikely to get an answer that is more helpful than what is posted above. There's always a chance someone will be very charitable and send you a PM, but pretty unlikely for a first/single post.
I appreciate the response. Chase had specifically mentioned "If anyone needs more info on 66 let me know and I’ll be as helpful as I can be." which I thought was an open offer to ask questions.

I can see based on the responses that I've violated the group rules around engagement. I'll do my research.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Welcome @WilliamLeb. Don't think about it anymore - lesson learned (and I doubt it is even a rule - more of an unwritten custom). I made a colossal mistake on my first post in another website forum (I was flamed and accused of being an undercover ATF agent), and I'm sure I've made more than my share of errors on RS, even after (or because of) all of my posts (many of which are worthless).

FWIW, I hunted there last year on private land (three hunters - two bows drawn, one arrow shot - but no hit), so I couldn't help you in any event, and as a NR, I'm still waiting to see if can can get an outfitter tag.

H280

FNG
Hello, I was wondering what experience you guys have with wolves in 66? Also what drainages? I DO NOT want to run into them with my dogs. Bears can cover a lot of country and I’d rather steer clear of where you all have seen wolves, heard wolves, or cut wolf track recently. Thank you.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
It's not all doom and gloom in 66! Yes there are people driving on closed roads! Get away from any sort of road and you should have no problem finding elk. And don't think you need to get in deep.