Idaho Tex Creek Zone

Tsutton1

FNG
I am wondering if anybody has any experience in Idaho units 66 and 69. I'm planning on a mid September archery hunt. I was just wondering what to expect, hunting pressure, etc. Thanks

Brianb3

WKR
Big country. Been a good unit in the past. Can be a lot of pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're looking for a place to hunt in solitude, keep looking. Pressure during elk season is unbelievable. Only places I can think of in Idaho that are more pressured are unit 39 and Diamond Creek zone.

Pwells10

WKR
Hunted a few years ago. I have a spot only seen a few people go (surrounded by private) if interested just message me.

Pretty easy access with a lot of roads and trails. Which, makes it a popular area for a lot of hunters. You will find that most barely get off the road, so walking a little can get you into elk. There are not a ton of resident elk in the area, but some in some of the small timber pockets. Once the season opens, they typically head to where every the furthest point from the guys bugling from their trucks are. That means if the road is on top of the ridge (like Skyline road) they will be down in the bottom. If the road is low, then they will be near the tops.

Good luck. I only hunted Tex Creek one year, but I have a buddy who hunts there every year. They have taken 2 bulls and 1 cow out of that unit over 7 years of hunting (2-3 hunters each year).

I hunted Tex Creek last year. south fork bear creek area and behind little elk mountain. We saw deer,moose,and bear, but no elk. I will be hunting 66/69 again next month and would love to hear some feedback from @Chase_D If possible.....
The overwhelming majority of hunters in that zone were road hunters cruising in atv's and SxS . I came across 3 groups after getting a mile off the roads. A father daughter on horseback, a solo hunter on a loud ass dirtbike, and an outfitter bringing their pack train down off the mountain. (All unsuccessful) A local hunter I spoke with said it is a difficult unit to hunt especially after the shooting festival during opening week.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Pressure there not as bad as what you read on the web if you get off the roads and trails........

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Anything else in the area - lion or wolf? Asking not out of concern, but if they are an opportunity and a tag that should be considered.