Idaho Tex Creek Zone

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
I've never seen any wolf sign there. I have seen lions, and plenty of tracks. Probably only a matter of time on the wolves though.

Hope I can bump this thread instead of firing up a new one and get some idiot first timer questions out of the way. Seems like a lot of knowledge on the area, and I appreciate all the info already.

Planning on an Oct general rifle public land hunt. We're still narrowing down the exact area but will mainly focus in on the forest area just to the west of the resiviour into the Caribou National Forest.

I guess my main question so that we can plan our pack in better is where can a guy park his pickup and get into the woods to setup base? We don't want to be in the way of anyone or obnoxious to any other hunters, I can't quite find any good info on the topic on the fed sites.

Second question. It looks like there isn't a huge predator issue but would you all still advise bear spray or a .44 side carry as a precaution?

Hope I can bump this thread instead of firing up a new one and get some idiot first timer questions out of the way. Seems like a lot of knowledge on the area, and I appreciate all the info already.

Planning on an Oct general rifle public land hunt. We're still narrowing down the exact area but will mainly focus in on the forest area just to the west of the resiviour into the Caribou National Forest.

I guess my main question so that we can plan our pack in better is where can a guy park his pickup and get into the woods to setup base? We don't want to be in the way of anyone or obnoxious to any other hunters, I can't quite find any good info on the topic on the fed sites.

Second question. It looks like there isn't a huge predator issue but would you all still advise bear spray or a .44 side carry as a precaution?
As far as bears and cats I'm always prepared I carry a 10mm you are not that far from Yellowstone.
Places to camp Google earth is your friend. We marked 8 potential camp sites on Google earth. Look for places you think look elky and find a pull off along the road and hope it's open when you get there. Have fun and good luck.

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
You can pull off the road in basically any turnout, or on the side of most nonpaved road's without any problems. Just make sure it's public land and start hiking.

I carry a pistol or bear spray, and sometimes both with me at all times. Never had an issue, but don't want to be caught with my pants down. Practice common backcountry sense and you'll be fine.

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like volume of hunters increasing with poor harvest rates.. 6% bull harvest rate in 2018 in 66 and a 14% bull harvest rate in 69. 69 lower hunter traffic with a little better success. Going to have to put some time in to be successful

Attachments

• Idaho Archery 66-69.JPG
    Idaho Archery 66-69.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 75
Very interesting the numbers between the 66/69 split. I would figure the valley area would be higher pressure just based off of the easier traversable land features. Shows my true greenness on the subject I guess.

Apex_Hunt

FNG
Definitely heavy pressure but has great potential for success. If you can find a sweet spot where there arent alot of other hunters that is what I would shoot for.

chasewright15

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to argue but just stating facts... definitely wolves in the tex creek unit. Unless they all left since last fall I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you thought pressure was bad last year wait till this year with the diamond creek debacle. I knew zero people that hunts tex creek last year, this year 11 extra well be going there.

mwebs

WKR
Sad when units you live in an next to are so over run with hunters you have to drive to other parts of the state. Yea I know you can find places away from hunters in both Tex and Diamond but the majority of areas in those units your going to run into guys in the woods, yes you can still shoot animals but that's just not the kind of hunt I am looking for.

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider

You'd be hard pressed to find me without bear spray that close to Grizzly country...

WesternHunter

Lil-Rokslider
For the black bears? Because that's all you'll really need it for in that zone.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
For either. I had Grizzly on my trailcams back in 2015 in unit 67. Can't convince me that if they wanted to go a little further south they couldn't. Wouldn't expect them in 69 but I'd say it's possible in 66. Not counting on it, but not going in with nothing either.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Diamond creek debacle?
Every year it sells out quicker and quicker and people who can't get DC tags fall back on Tex Creek since it's right next to DC. It'll be even more interesting next year when they adjust NR tag numbers in all of the zones to spread pressure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk