Idaho turkey hunting

who’s hunting turkey in Idaho this year? I’m born and raised here, but never hunted turkeys here. Growing up there really weren’t many. Trying to get a feel for how folks hunt them out here. Do you basically find some good looking area nearby water and go out on foot calling to locate them? Or do you drive around glassing and occasionally calling? I have an idea of where I’ll hunt but it’s a large area with lots of forest and I really don’t know how to tackle it. Just looking for some pointers.

Fshnpole

FNG
I will be out there with a couple tags. I keep moving and calling till I find one that wants to cooperate and go after it.
good luck

Yup ill be hunting. Theres one area i spot and stalk. The othere area is very wooded and i just find an area call. Maybe sit for an hour if nothing responds or comes in. Ill go some where else. Always looking for sign. If theres sign i spend a lite more time there.

Terrapin

WKR
We hunt them like elk. Work the ridge top calling, then get within a couple hundred above them and call them in. You can hunt them like back east, where you sit in one likely spot and call all day, but that’s boring to me... especially if your hunting yard birds on private land.

I’ve been chasing them since the first year idaho had a general season, and I still get excited every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad would just sit at one fence post for hours every year on our farm back home after the morning excitement ended. Every year he would kill a big bird. But seriously how boring!!!

MTimberN

FNG
I'll be hunting Idaho turkey for the first time this year so I'm in same boat. I plan on just hitting the woods, calling and seeing what pops up.

Merriam Turkey can have a range of 40 miles. So try and at least make sure you can see/hear some birds before you start endlessly walking blind.

GregB

WKR
I’ll walk areas I have seen them in the past and use a locator call either crow or owl to find them. This year I might carry a small portable blind and a couple of decoys.

Wassid82

WKR
I move slow and do locating calls. then I play it by ear. I have a blind but its really difficult to hunt that way for me. I take 3 decoys and I hunt different locations on the mountain at different times of the day. Its ideal if you can go the night before and watch/listen for birds flying up into the trees to roost. then work in close the next morning while dark.