Idaho Turkey "Peak Rut"

dkidaho

FNG
:confused:
Anyone know if there is such a thing ? Spring or Fall ? Sorry, still new to the Turkey slayin' here in Southern Idaho.
Couldn't help myself with the Title...Any help/info appreciated.
THANK YOU-

There is usually a day of peak gobbling each year, and where I was last weekend (N. Idaho) I am pretty sure that is what we saw/heard. We had several long beards going absolutely crazy from well before sun up until the evening. There wasn't a 3-5 minute period that entire day where we didn't hear a gobble. The next day was much slower. Either way, any day in the turkey woods can be a good one, give them time to do their thing with their hens and soon after that they will begin to seek out and inspect the calls that you were sending their way earlier. Best of luck!

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
There is usually a day of peak gobbling each year, and where I was last weekend (N. Idaho) I am pretty sure that is what we saw/heard. We had several long beards going absolutely crazy from well before sun up until the evening. There wasn't a 3-5 minute period that entire day where we didn't hear a gobble. The next day was much slower. Either way, any day in the turkey woods can be a good one, give them time to do their thing with their hens and soon after that they will begin to seek out and inspect the calls that you were sending their way earlier. Best of luck!

Man I wish they were like that in NE Wa. Couldn't buy a gobble after they got off the roost. The warden that checked us said that is was they were hearing. He said the turkeys were 2 weeks early in the "rut".

TEmbry

WKR
During the spring, and it's mostly weather dependent.... So long as the hunting pressure doesn't build up, late April to early May is best.

Turkeys breed typically in March and April... When you are hunting birds in May, they are just hoping to get lucky again :)

OP
D

dkidaho

FNG
Thanks guys-hope to be headed up again end of this week...
Good luck to all of you still going after 'em.

TEmbry

WKR
Turkeys breed typically in March and April... When you are hunting birds in May, they are just hoping to get lucky again :)

Yeah which is often the best time to hunt them so long as hunting pressure wasnt immense. Nothing like a lonely old bird lookin for that last single girl before the bar makes last call and turns on the lights... Haha