Idaho Turkey

Agsmith90

FNG
This will be my first year hunting turkeys in Idaho. I have gone out the past three weekends trying to scout with little success, just a few birds all on private. I have decided to leave the lower elevation BLM and head up into the NF. Does anyone have any suggestions on elevation bands to stay in or should I just check these mountains top to bottom? Or am I just spinning my my wheels looking up in the mountains?
Thanks.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Tend to focus more on the current conditions than a specific elevation band on the topo. Have found success starting at the snow line and working my way down. Generally they aren’t far below the snow.

I was out this weekend and didn’t hear a single gobble and saw only a couple groups and they were not fired up at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Agsmith90

Agsmith90

FNG
Thanks for the tip. I went up a little too high and was in the snow this weekend. And I checked some lower spots but came up empty. Not one gobble.

Austink47

WKR
This coming from someone who hunts mostly in northern NM so take it for what it is worth. Jlhois nailed it. Turkey surf the green wave in the spring. I also have good luck on tanks that are drying up and have green grass around them. Find sweet little green grass. Other than that just cover ground mountain birds move a lot. Also stick with it. Not all of the birds get hot at the same time. Some years the last week of the season is the best for me. Good luck.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
It has been a dry spring in Idaho (I am in Boise) For the opener this week I am going to hit the zone in between the snow and the lowlands.

As noted, movement will be key. I like to move on ridge-lines that overlook major drainages. Keep an eye out for hens moving in the thick stuff, they like that for nesting. Toms will be around.

Nice tip on the water tanks. Will have to keep that in mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wassid82

WKR
I typically find higher success when hunting areas below the snowline. I especially focus on areas with creeks. ridges that sit on top of flowing creeks have been very productive for me in the past.

OP
Agsmith90

Agsmith90

FNG
I Appreciate the insight. I’ll be back out there this weekend. Good luck.