Idaho unit 1 bear

Kelsoe21

FNG
Me and a buddy are from Texas, looking to see some new country and new game. Looking into a unit one archery spot and stalk. Any info on certain months, technique, elevation or location will be appreciated thanks!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That country is steep and thick not conducive to spotting or stalking. I'd focus on different area of the state that it's more open if you want to use that method. If you do go there make sure you preplan where your glassing points will be. I can tell you from experience that when my side of the canyon was open I couldn't glass though the triple canopy of the other sides tops middle and bottom layers of pine. When the opposite side it was open still almost impossible to glass though the canopy that shot up from below on my side. When you finally find a spot to get a clear view it's tiny pockets usually pretty far away. That why most northern Idaho guys shoot damn far or damn close. To ME it's just miserable place to try and hunt going in blind. Good luck

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kelsoe21

FNG
That country is steep and thick not conducive to spotting or stalking. I'd focus on different area of the state that it's more open if you want to use that method. If you do go there make sure you preplan where your glassing points will be. I can tell you from experience that when my side of the canyon was open I couldn't glass though the triple canopy of the other sides tops middle and bottom layers of pine. When the opposite side it was open still almost impossible to glass though the canopy that shot up from below on my side. When you finally find a spot to get a clear view it's tiny pockets usually pretty far away. That why most northern Idaho guys shoot damn far or damn close. To ME it's just miserable place to try and hunt going in blind. Good luck

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice! I talked to one of the biologist on the phone and she recodmended the area is the only reason we were looking into it, she said since we didn’t plan on baiting or using hounds that unit one would be best and had I high bear population. If you were in our shoes which unit would you feel more comfortable choosing and which area in that unit. Both of us can shoot 60 yards comfortably with a bow, so longer archery shots are not a problem but would definitely prefer somewhere with 40 yard shots. And does the time of year affect elevation, we plan on going Octoberish