Idaho Unit 1 Prospects Looking Good

• Thread starter Deleted member 39919
  • Start date
Saw some amazing bucks on my property in 2017, not so much the following 3 years. I know whitetails are doing well in 1 for sure.

jimmy33

WKR
Ill be up there next week doing some scouting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inrutt

FNG
Nice buck! Starting to get the itch pretty bad already. Thanks for sharing, Vinswitch, nice pics!

LilBit

FNG
How much weight do ID whitetails get up to? Do you just stick to river/stream bottoms?

OP
D

Deleted member 39919

Good size for mature animal would be 180-200 lbs my guess? Lots of agriculture and forest service land where I’m at so they could be anywhere. But I better not say anything else since I need to be more private according to a previous response...

LilBit

FNG
Dont blame ya. Are there alot of people that chase whitetails put there? I guess i just assu,e everyone would go after elk or muleys for the most part.

OP
D

Deleted member 39919

Here's some info (public) from the IDFG harvest statistics page for 2019 in Unit 1:

3107 deer were taken last year for all weapons combined, with 96% whitetail, total of 8153 hunters

482 elk were taken last year for all weapons combined, just under a third of that number was for antlerless, total of 3626 hunters

The numbers reflect more deer hunters than elk hunters, way more deer than elk taken, and almost all the deer taken were whitetail.

Does that help some? :)

BAKPAKR

WKR
I am pretty surprised by those stats. The harvest and hunter numbers are much higher than I would have ever thought.

OP
D

Deleted member 39919

Here's some more info with regard to Unit 1:

You'll see over half the unit (52.24%) is forest service land, Private land is at 29.19%.

IDFG does a great job with providing just about any kind of information available to help outdoorsmen.

LilBit

FNG
Im surprised by those figures as well! My buddy lives outside Boise and i want to get out there to hunt someday. Use his place as a home base.

Broomd

WKR
Good size for mature animal would be 180-200 lbs my guess? Lots of agriculture and forest service land where I’m at so they could be anywhere. But I better not say anything else since I need to be more private according to a previous response...

Hey I couldn't care less honestly; it isn't my unit, I was just trying to help you specifically.
But sounds like you have things all figured out.
There is a reason that most here kindly share pics and advice but not units and locations. You'll realize this in time when the quality of the resource you hyped has degraded.

Until then good luck with your strategy. The internet is a fount of information, but that concept works both for and against a naive hunter.

Huntnnw

WKR
You can target whitetails from valley floors to 6k feet. I have places where the whitetails and muleys share the mt.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unit 1 has always been known as a heavy whitetail unit nothing surprising noted....I started hunting it in 1980 as my family grew up in sandpoint and always hunted north to the border some dandy whitetails and a few muleys but elk we always went south of unit 1🤩