Idaho Unit 10A- Elk vs wolves

DMurphy

FNG
I have been looking into taking my first elk hunt next year and had been planning on going through an outfitter who guides in Unit 10A. I have seen recent discussions, however, that are making me nervous. Several have mentioned that the wolves are so bad in that area that successful elk hunts have plummeted. Any of you have any knowledge of this area? Should I look elsewhere? I really like the outfitter we were planning on using, but I need there to be some elk, too!

There are a lot of wolves, but there are also a lot of elk that know how to hide from the wolves. Tough unit to hunt, but you'll see elk if the outfitter is good at his job.

If it were me in the unit, I'd rather go on a guided cougar hunt or bear hunt with hounds as I know it would be worth it.

TheTone

WKR
My opinion, the unit definitely isn’t what it was in the 80’s-mid 90’s but it’s never been a place to kill a big bull. It’s covered in roads and sees a ton of hunters and recreational use. Lots and lots of hunters will spend entire days just cruising logging roads on atv’s which does a great job of keeping animals scared and hunkered down in the thick. Wolves probably had/have an impact in some parts of the unit and next to none in others. Feel free to shoot me a PM with the outfitter you’re considering and I may be able to give some insight

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
My opinion, the unit definitely isn’t what it was in the 80’s-mid 90’s but it’s never been a place to kill a big bull. It’s covered in roads and sees a ton of hunters and recreational use. Lots and lots of hunters will spend entire days just cruising logging roads on atv’s which does a great job of keeping animals scared and hunkered down in the thick. Wolves probably had/have an impact in some parts of the unit and next to none in others. Feel free to shoot me a PM with the outfitter you’re considering and I may be able to give some insight
Apparently, I am too new to send PM’s. Hopefully I receive my full initiation soon!

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
There are a lot of wolves, but there are also a lot of elk that know how to hide from the wolves. Tough unit to hunt, but you'll see elk if the outfitter is good at his job.

If it were me in the unit, I'd rather go on a guided cougar hunt or bear hunt with hounds as I know it would be worth it.
I have been on a bear hunt before and have always dreamed of an elk hunt. The cougar hunt is intriguing- for next time.

Lots of guys have great success with reputable outfitters, so I would definitely do my research before paying one. But I've also heard you can learn a lot from one when you are still green to elk hunting. On the flip side, I really enjoy doing things myself and feel that it is much more rewarding. The resources are out there to be successful as a newbie. I've done it two years in a row. If you pay someone money and aren't successful I feel like a lot of blame could be placed, but if you do it yourself and aren't successful, then you can just drive yourself harder for it. You could find a unit by yourself that doesn't have the wolf pressure and still has good elk numbers and make a very good hunt for yourself, it just takes more work and time.

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
Lots of guys have great success with reputable outfitters, so I would definitely do my research before paying one. But I've also heard you can learn a lot from one when you are still green to elk hunting. On the flip side, I really enjoy doing things myself and feel that it is much more rewarding. The resources are out there to be successful as a newbie. I've done it two years in a row. If you pay someone money and aren't successful I feel like a lot of blame could be placed, but if you do it yourself and aren't successful, then you can just drive yourself harder for it. You could find a unit by yourself that doesn't have the wolf pressure and still has good elk numbers and make a very good hunt for yourself, it just takes more work and time.
Thank you for this. Frankly, I just don’t think I have the free time and resources to learn all of this on my own. I live a LONG way from the nearest mountain and do not have much of the gear I would need to strike out on my own. As you said, I’m hoping to learn a bunch from a guide and give it a shot without one in the years to come.

Elknutty

FNG
First thing you should ask yourself is what kind of experience are you hoping for? Are you wanting a backcountry hunt off horses? If so, pick a different unit. If you are limited physically, then 10a is a good choice. There are a lot of logging roads with good access. Yes, there is a lot of hunting pressure in the unit (2080 rifle elk hunters in 2019, with 15% success; 758 archery with 11.3% success) these numbers do not include deer hunters, so there will be more than I mentioned. Will you see other hunters, probably. Are there wolves in the unit? Yes. A little secret, most units in Idaho have wolves. But what do the wolves eat? Elk. I have always told myself, the wolves are there for a reason.

First thing you should ask yourself is what kind of experience are you hoping for? Are you wanting a backcountry hunt off horses? If so, pick a different unit. If you are limited physically, then 10a is a good choice. There are a lot of logging roads with good access. Yes, there is a lot of hunting pressure in the unit (2080 rifle elk hunters in 2019, with 15% success; 758 archery with 11.3% success) these numbers do not include deer hunters, so there will be more than I mentioned. Will you see other hunters, probably. Are there wolves in the unit? Yes. A little secret, most units in Idaho have wolves. But what do the wolves eat? Elk. I have always told myself, the wolves are there for a reason.
That is an accurate description. Wolves are in the business of eating . If there are wolves there, elk are there as well. They might be hard to find and tough to catch up with but there will be elk in the vicinity.

EdP

WKR
Did a spring bear hunt a couple of years ago in unit 10, adjacent to 10a. Had a really fine outfitter and the trip was a blast. Pack stock, remote camp, the whole experience I wanted. He told us the wolves had knocked the elk down but they were coming back. The state has been working to get the wolf numbers under control and making progress, but he expected it to be a few years before things got good again. When the wolves first impacted the elk population the young and cows got hit hardest. Hunting was good because a high percentage of elk were mature bulls. After a few years the big bulls were gone too and it is going to take time to grow some.

Dudlee76

FNG
I will be using Shattuck Creek Outfitters. Will this be a good outfitter to elk hunt with ? Decided on Idaho over New Mexico for my first Elk hunt.

OP
DMurphy

DMurphy

FNG
I will be using Shattuck Creek Outfitters. Will this be a good outfitter to elk hunt with ? Decided on Idaho over New Mexico for my first Elk hunt.
Good luck! Please post on here how your trip goes.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I guided for that outfitter a few years ago. He puts forth a ton of effort for his clients, but there is not many animals in his area, the wolves have hit it hard. I’d be happy to answer any questions you have.

Northern ID and MT have been hammered by wolves. There are animals there, but if you're number one priority is seeing and killing an elk, and you're paying for it, there are better places.

Hunted the Bob (straight east of 10a a ways) for 6 days in Sep. I was fortunate to shoot a nice bull, but 8 hunters and 4 guides saw 2 elk that whole time (including the one I shot). The deer numbers are also way down, and our group only saw 12 the whole trip.

Again, comes down to what experience you are looking for and what your top priority is. Our hunt was a bucket list "mountain man" trip I wanted and it checked all the boxes.

Dudlee76

FNG
I guided for that outfitter a few years ago. He puts forth a ton of effort for his clients, but there is not many animals in his area, the wolves have hit it hard. I’d be happy to answer any questions you have.
what area would be better ?

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
what area would be better ?
Honestly the further south you go the better it is, because to some extent there is less wolves and it’s easier to glass. In North Idaho it’s a lot thicker, you are kinda just glassing clearcuts. There is still some animals, I just shot a bull last weekend and I saw multiple others, but you’ve really got to have an idea of what you are doing. Most of the guides I know up here are just young guys who are still learning, so you are almost better to DIY. Just my opinion.

Reactions: KID