Idaho Unit 12 Update

• Thread starter Deleted member 52995
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 52995

Just ran into one of the guides employed by Redbone Outfitters, and he mentioned that they've had a successful week hunting for black bears in Unit 12. This week they've killed 6, though he didn't mention by what methods other than that they weren't using dogs except to recover wounded or dead bears. I suspect most, if not all, were killed over bait. He did say some of their kills have been at or above 5000 feet, which is where I'm headed this evening.... 🐻👍

cubharleman

FNG
Classified Approved
Just ran into one of the guides employed by Redbone Outfitters, and he mentioned that they've had a successful week hunting for black bears in Unit 12. This week they've killed 6, though he didn't mention by what methods other than that they weren't using dogs except to recover wounded or dead bears. I suspect most, if not all, were killed over bait. He did say some of their kills have been at or above 5000 feet, which is where I'm headed this evening.... 🐻👍
Thanks for the update! Headed to Idaho for about 5 days on the 18th. Planning a spot/stalk hunt and considering 12. Let me know how it goes!

Rob5589

WKR
Spent yesterday in 12, off hwy 12 going toward MT. It is thick and very tough to glass. While possible to spot and stalk, bait is the way to go in those conditions. The Idaho stats prove that out. Good luck!

THe area that they use is interesting in that it is low elevation, 3500ish ft, and can get baits out may 1st, sometimes earlier.

usually not a chatty bunch. LOL

cubharleman

FNG
Classified Approved
Good info. Glad you were able to find a spot to get away from the crowds.
Agree, spent some time there a few weeks ago, bait and hounds everywhere. We bailed and found better areas using online maps. Almost no pressure where we ended up going.

I don't know which of their camps you're referring to but the camps, and hunting areas I'm referring to are at 5000+ feet in the area of Lolo Pass, Bro....
I had to look, is more like 4500+ I was thinking of a different spot. Pretty neat area, in some places the snow comes off surprisingly early, and others it will still be there awhile.

Are you still hunting there??