Idaho unit 14

dvr3381

Lil-Rokslider
I've been researching Idaho whitetail units, off and on, the last year and a half.

I'm looking to go otc on a year that I don't draw other hunts. (Likely this year!) Possibly go on a spring bear hunt to also learn the land, then go back in the fall to hunt deer.

Does anyone have any general info on unit 14 they could share with me. Whitetail numbers, bear numbers, accessibility, terrain....ect. Pm me if you prefer. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

FreeRange

WKR
I almost hunted unit 14 in 2015 but in talking with a biologist leading up to the hunt I found out in the early fall that year the area got hit pretty hard by a blue tongue outbreak. It was worst in areas with limited water where deer would more densely congregate and that unit definitely sees some migration so deer that were higher up at that time didn't get as affected most likely. We ended up in a nearby unit and had a great hunt and saw tons of deer. It would be worth doing some research to see how that outbreak and this winter has been on that herd. Whitetail are pretty resilient so I'm sure there are still plenty of them there.

OP
D

dvr3381

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you FreeRange.

OP
D

dvr3381

Lil-Rokslider
Any other general info on the unit, from anyone else, is much appreciated

I hunted there as a kid. Great country and always saw a bunch of animals. Missed a gigantic 5x5 that was one of the biggest whitetails i have ever seen. No idea on the animal numbers now

OP
D

dvr3381

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Muledeerfanatic.

Tywoods

FNG
The most visible/accessible ground in unit 14 is river breaks country of the Salmon river, which consists of large tracts of private ground. Good numbers of whitetail and mule deer can be seen on the hillsides throughout the year. The further east you go, you run into more National Forest ground and bigger timber. I would look at trying to access that forest ground in higher elevations to get away from the crowds, or a guy can always knock on doors and access some private if that is more your speed. The whitetail hunt in 14 closes Nov 20th, anytime from the 10th to the 20th would be optimum for rutting activity.

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't limit yourself to unit 14, look at unit 15 as well. I would say there is more public land opportunity in 15...anywhere from Grangeville to Elk City off of the South Fork of the Clearwater will give you a decent shot at a deer. As mentioned earlier, later is better for optimum rut activity.

OP
D

dvr3381

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Is the idaho whitetail tag, unit specific? Or is it statewide? Also, any info on bear numbers in 14 or 15?

kestump

Lil-Rokslider
It is statewide, but different hunting units have different open and closing dates, or no season at all throughout the state. Units 14 and 15 are the same, Oct. 10 - Nov. 20 for both antlered and antlerless. There is no shortage of bears in those units, but I would guess that most are killed over bait or hounds. I would look at the open south slopes along the river breaks of both the Salmon and the SF Clearwater for potential spot and stalk opportunities.

OP
D

dvr3381

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you sir.

OP
D

dvr3381

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't draw anything in my home state, so as soon as I wrap up spring cattle work, and my 5th grade girls basketball season, (may 21st) ....I'm headed to Idaho! To hunt spring bear and learn the country! Can't wait just to see some new country!