Idaho Unit 15

jd30069

FNG
Will be interested in how you did and how you liked the area - heading there in less than three weeks !!!!

jd30069

FNG
I believe i will leave here, Michigan, around the end of the month - pulling a Travel Trailer and want to spend a day in Twin Falls and then go up. Actually have no first knowledge of Unit- so want a week to scout and travell it..going to camp a few different spots and just start looking it over. Can't wait

Mfleming

FNG
We will be heading up from Arkansas, we may try to get there earlier to do some scouting as well. There’s several spots we’re looking at in 2 of the units.

Mfleming

FNG
I believe i will leave here, Michigan, around the end of the month - pulling a Travel Trailer and want to spend a day in Twin Falls and then go up. Actually have no first knowledge of Unit- so want a week to scout and travell it..going to camp a few different spots and just start looking it over. Can't wait
Have you talked to any of the rangers out there, I spoke to a couple that were really helpful. Pulling a 5th wheel might be a challenge on some of the roads.

jd30069

FNG
I need to do that more specifically -- i wanted to wait until i pretty much had figured out where i wanted to start hunting.. What i have been told ?? is not to count on hunting the southern part of the unit with truck or trailer if weather is bad at all..... don't know

Mfleming

FNG
I need to do that more specifically -- i wanted to wait until i pretty much had figured out where i wanted to start hunting.. What i have been told ?? is not to count on hunting the southern part of the unit with truck or trailer if weather is bad at all..... don't know
The ranger told me that the roads in the southern part of 15 you couldn’t pull a trailer up them and to also have snow chains in the truck. I’m thinking of scouting a spot in 16 and one in 14 near the farm land. Good luck.

jd30069

FNG
The ranger told me that the roads in the southern part of 15 you couldn’t pull a trailer up them and to also have snow chains in the truck. I’m thinking of scouting a spot in 16 and one in 14 near the farm land. Good luck.
Well how did you like the Elk City area? Just beautiful in all directions I thought. The drive in on 14 was very cool. Very unusual hunting through..... 9 of the 12 days i hunted i was into elk. The strange thing to me was only two bulls out of all those animals. A spike about 18 " and one nice bull. Although there were fresh wolf tracks in the snow every day; only one day were they an issue. I wish i had the second week over.

jd30069

FNG
Is it the norm in the Elk City area to see large numbers of cows/calves and virtually no mature bulls.

I hunted another area of Idaho this year during the rifle season. Saw 72 elk total. 2 spikes, 2 small 5x5, a nice 6x6 and big 6x6, so 6 bulls total.

jd30069

FNG
I hunted another area of Idaho this year during the rifle season. Saw 72 elk total. 2 spikes, 2 small 5x5, a nice 6x6 and big 6x6, so 6 bulls total.
I would think you would be happy with that ratio any season.. I really hunted hard but no results like that..

I had a lot of fresh snow on and off but never had much sign up high the entire hunt

Mfleming

FNG
Well how did you like the Elk City area? Just beautiful in all directions I thought. The drive in on 14 was very cool. Very unusual hunting through..... 9 of the 12 days i hunted i was into elk. The strange thing to me was only two bulls out of all those animals. A spike about 18 " and one nice bull. Although there were fresh wolf tracks in the snow every day; only one day were they an issue. I wish i had the second week over.
It was a fun trip we hunted 3 areas but never got into any bulls, saw at least 30 or so cows. I spoke with several local Guys and they said it was a strange start to winter and the snow was early this year. Beautiful country for sure just hard to gain access, a lot of vertical rock face lol.

jd30069

FNG
It was a fun trip we hunted 3 areas but never got into any bulls, saw at least 30 or so cows. I spoke with several local Guys and they said it was a strange start to winter and the snow was early this year. Beautiful country for sure just hard to gain access, a lot of vertical rock face lol.
Where did you end up camping - there were actually a lot of choices very close to Elk City - very nice people everywhere we were at. I felt i should have been more successful on finding bulls but didn't make it happen. Hunting the higher elevation areas was very unproductive..... not sure why. I don't think i would ever buy a deer tag for there again; but just my experience.

jd30069

FNG
After I had trouble finding bulls, even though seeing cows and calves, i moved into some of the higher elevation areas and with abundance snow found very little sign. Getting way back really backfired a few days. just different than other areas i have hunted and still not sure why... I want to give that area a try again