Idaho Bear

Heading to Hells Canyon after bear this Spring, bringing a turkey tag as well, figured "Why not?" Plan is to pack in as far back as we can get and go from there. Funny thing is, I can't seem to find bear population numbers for this unit, I'm told there's plenty of them back there, and even talked to a biologist who said it'd be worth the effort. Anyone know where I could find that data? Just interested in general, not going to change my plans one way or the other. I'm either getting a bear, or a great hike with a rifle.....Either way, I'm happy.

thanks guys!

archp625

WKR
If my memory serves me well, they have not done kill data since 2016. I do not know why they stopped. As others have sad. There are bears everywhere in Northern pick a unit and go. That is what I am doing.

OP
Specwar2006
That's odd there's not a lot of data on bear populations. We're already set on unit 18....my plan is to hump in from the Snake River side and go from there. Thanks for the reply and good luck on your hunt!

OP
Specwar2006
The plan is to access the unit from the north at the river....then hunt the snow line. Not that last year is any indication of this year, but last year I had a buddy on the Oregon side take a bear at that time in similar elevations and he said there was lots of green growth to hunt. Again, past performance is no indicator of future results, but the local biologist seemed to think that was fairly accurate.

What’s the lowest elevation you’ve seen snow around there, the first part of May?

Kountry Biscuit

Lil-Rokslider
The plan is to access the unit from the north at the river....then hunt the snow line. Not that last year is any indication of this year, but last year I had a buddy on the Oregon side take a bear at that time in similar elevations and he said there was lots of green growth to hunt. Again, past performance is no indicator of future results, but the local biologist seemed to think that was fairly accurate.

What’s the lowest elevation you’ve seen snow around there, the first part of May?
I just know from talking to outfitters about the area that there is definitely access issues around 6K-7K. Gotta get out of vehicles and start hiking.

Gobbler36

WKR
be prepared for snow and access issues also be prepared for the demanding hike that awaits going "back in" most people dont understand how steep that country is until youre there also have a plan for thick thick patches of poison oak in the bottoms me n buddy got in it last year and had it all over every square inch of us. in the places you especially dont want it

strictlyRUM

Lil-Rokslider
To dig up an older thread....... I was wondering how you guys did last year. Would love to see some pics. I would like to come in from the top but worried about snow. I dont have tracks or a jet sled so fairly limited except for shoes. Got a few pairs and I am good with glass.

OP
Specwar2006
I’m headed again this year. Access is pretty reasonable actually as the northern boarder is the road to Pittsburg landing and it’s very well maintained. There’s good parking, and several trails to stage from in order to get back in. Hope this helps!

strictlyRUM

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! Well done! You can pm me if you rather. How far were you in? I will be taking my wife and boys if it's not completely ridiculous. They have all put serious miles on before but like to come back to a wall tent or trailer. They haven't lived out of a pack yet.

OP
Specwar2006
I would, but I’m not sure I know how to PM! Lol! Perhaps try PM’ing me and I’ll see if I can figure it out.